Redo my Kitchen... (any hints?)

Shaker-style cabinets, classic and timeless.
Marble penny-round tiles for the backsplash.
Granite or quartz for the counters.
Ceramic tile floor.

Are you doing the tiling yourself?

I have a ceramic tile kitchen floor. I hate it! (It came with the house.) Drop something on the floor and it shatters into a million pieces. Shards of glass go flying under the stove and fridge. Also, it's not all that comfortable to stand on for any length of time.

As for counter tops I wouldn't go for the granite either. Again, if you happen to knock a glass over that's the end of it.

I suppose tile and granite are great for a very busy kitchen. They never wear out. Neither the Mrs. nor I are food aficionados so I suppose that makes a difference.

I preferred the pine floor we had at our old place. Highly varathaned and easy to clean with a damp mop.

One thing I wanted to do was modify the fridge door water dispenser to accommodate beer kegs but I changed my mind after a few nights on the couch. :(

Shaker-style cabinets, classic and timeless. (yup)
Marble penny-round tiles for the backsplash.(maybe, I'll look at that)
Granite or quartz for the counters. (Granite)
Ceramic tile floor. (Yup)

Are you doing the tiling yourself?

Yes, I'm doing it myself. I'm doing everything but the Granite install myself.

Yes, I'm doing it myself. I'm doing everything but the Granite install myself.

I wish those amenities were in my kitchen but not yet. We're just in the planning stages.

Here's a link to what I wrote above re: floor, back splash and counters. Start looking around -03:55 and you'll see the actual kitchen after the remodel.

[video]http://www.clicker.com/tv/sarahs-house/kitchen-and-dining-room-1149691/[/video]

I have a ceramic tile kitchen floor. I hate it! (It came with the house.) Drop something on the floor and it shatters into a million pieces. Shards of glass go flying under the stove and fridge. Also, it's not all that comfortable to stand on for any length of time.

As for counter tops I wouldn't go for the granite either. Again, if you happen to knock a glass over that's the end of it.

I suppose tile and granite are great for a very busy kitchen. They never wear out. Neither the Mrs. nor I are food aficionados so I suppose that makes a difference.

I preferred the pine floor we had at our old place. Highly varathaned and easy to clean with a damp mop.

One thing I wanted to do was modify the fridge door water dispenser to accommodate beer kegs but I changed my mind after a few nights on the couch. :(

My current kitchen is done in a style I wouldn't pick in a million years. The previous owner loved country so there's two different wallpapers in tiny print, dark cabinets, laminate counters and a linoleum floor. It was probably all the rage in the '80s.

I like wooden floors but don't think they'd be practical because we're all slobs, including the cats. I can just see the water stains, spilled food, hairball stains etc. messing up the wood in no time. As far as comfort in standing, well, I'm not an avid cook or food aficionado either so no problem with tile. I like granite counters but am warming up to quartz; it's supposed to be indestructible. We don't break things very often so that's not a concern.

Not sure if a fridge door water dispenser is the way to go. My inlaws had to replace their fridge twice in 10 years and it was always related to the dispenser.

Your old pine floor sounds nice, though. Like a farmhouse kitchen.

My current kitchen is done in a style I wouldn't pick in a million years. The previous owner loved country so there's two different wallpapers in tiny print, dark cabinets, laminate counters and a linoleum floor. It was probably all the rage in the '80s.

I like wooden floors but don't think they'd be practical because we're all slobs, including the cats. I can just see the water stains, spilled food, hairball stains etc. messing up the wood in no time. As far as comfort in standing, well, I'm not an avid cook or food aficionado either so no problem with tile. I like granite counters but am warming up to quartz; it's supposed to be indestructible. We don't break things very often so that's not a concern.

Not sure if a fridge door water dispenser is the way to go. My inlaws had to replace their fridge twice in 10 years and it was always related to the dispenser.

Your old pine floor sounds nice, though. Like a farmhouse kitchen.

I think I am going to go quartz, but hubby wants granite! We are remodeling with resale in mind, granite is the "thing"right ow,along with stainless steel appliances, which I hate! But we are putting them in anyway!

I think I am going to go quartz, but hubby wants granite! We are remodeling with resale in mind, granite is the "thing"right ow,along with stainless steel appliances, which I hate! But we are putting them in anyway!

I always liked granite better, also. It does seem that quartz is getting a lot nicer now than it was before. Are you two going to flip a coin?

It's smart to think of resale if you're going to go south in a few years. If you watch the shows on HGTV, no matter what else people want, the main things always seem to be stainless steel, granite and open concept. So Bud has a point.

I always liked granite better, also. It does seem that quartz is getting a lot nicer now than it was before. Are you two going to flip a coin?

It's smart to think of resale if you're going to go south in a few years. If you watch the shows on HGTV, no matter what else people want, the main things always seem to be stainless steel, granite and open concept. So Bud has a point.

Yes, he does. No, I gave in on this one, he gets his granite!

A dedicated pizza oven.

I got one (commercial grade) and it is wonderful for pizza and baked Lasania, open faced sandwitches, etc.

A dedicated pizza oven.

I got one (commercial grade) and it is wonderful for pizza and baked Lasania, open faced sandwitches, etc.

i wish i could put that in my kitchen. thought about putting one out in the back yard, but just don't want to spend the $$ right now on that.

I spent all my home improvement money on this:
IMG_0430.jpg

Back