Redo my Kitchen... (any hints?)

While the inevitable life is getting in the way... (wife's car had a bad shock that was literally just installed, have to go to a meeting even though I am off work for the week, you know... life) I have finally stripped the entire kitchen. Now comes the fun part, putting it back together Damo-stylin'... (not really, more like Damo's-wife stylin', but you know how it is.)

Gods above, there were two people before me who had put down plywood base for linoleum in the shape of the previous configuration of cabinets. (and a couple more who just put linoleum on top of that), but since I'm flooring the whole kitchen I had to remove that crap. It took forever. And the crappy white tiles in the window well... patience is a virtue.

I got to pick the appliances, the wife picked the paint, the tile, et al... I don't care about that stuff, I just want to be able to cook.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done. I'm quite excited about finally being able to build rather than take apart.

I found a heat register that they covered over with flooring... I finally know where that was going. I'm going to seal it off. I was thinking of putting in a door and having a hiding place, but I can't think of a good way to hide it with tile flooring.

While the inevitable life is getting in the way... (wife's car had a bad shock that was literally just installed, have to go to a meeting even though I am off work for the week, you know... life) I have finally stripped the entire kitchen. Now comes the fun part, putting it back together Damo-stylin'... (not really, more like Damo's-wife stylin', but you know how it is.)

Gods above, there were two people before me who had put down plywood base for linoleum in the shape of the previous configuration of cabinets. (and a couple more who just put linoleum on top of that), but since I'm flooring the whole kitchen I had to remove that crap. It took forever. And the crappy white tiles in the window well... patience is a virtue.

I got to pick the appliances, the wife picked the paint, the tile, et al... I don't care about that stuff, I just want to be able to cook.

I'll post some pictures when I'm done. I'm quite excited about finally being able to build rather than take apart.

I found a heat register that they covered over with flooring... I finally know where that was going. I'm going to seal it off. I was thinking of putting in a door and having a hiding place, but I can't think of a good way to hide it with tile flooring.

If the floor register works or doesn't work, just leave it and make the "hiding place", inside the register opening.

Well, in the middle of all the putting it together part I had me a nice kidney stone. So it slowed me down some... Tonight I should finish anchoring up all my cabinets, we'll have them come in on Monday to measure for cutting the granite, then a short wait until I have counters. After I install those I have only the backsplash left. I'll take a weekend and do that.

Well, in the middle of all the putting it together part I had me a nice kidney stone. So it slowed me down some... Tonight I should finish anchoring up all my cabinets, we'll have them come in on Monday to measure for cutting the granite, then a short wait until I have counters. After I install those I have only the backsplash left. I'll take a weekend and do that.
Why are you installing granite yourself? Are there any seams? How much did you save by not having them install?

What color granite did you get?

Don't forget to make a video, with sound, so we hear the sizzle of that first steak on your new gas stove.

So, now I have to wait for the forms in the mail. I'll cut the concrete board this week and install it so it is ready, set the forms and start installing the countertop on Saturday.

I'm actually looking forward to it, I get to get artistic. :D

My wife has decided that I haven't done enough work... So, now I'll be doing concrete countertops, cast in place using forms from this place:

http://concretecountertopsolutions.com/

I watched the video. He makes it seem so easy! Those finished edges are really impressive too, and the fact you can get a fancy profile as opposed to just a straight edge. How long does it have to cure before you can stain and polish?

I saw an installation on one of the home shows and the people had the counters done off-site, then brought in and installed. They weigh a ton. Doing it in place is a great idea.

So, now I have to wait for the forms in the mail. I'll cut the concrete board this week and install it so it is ready, set the forms and start installing the countertop on Saturday.

I'm actually looking forward to it, I get to get artistic. :D

I'd be worried about not getting the surface perfect, no lumps and level.

I watched the video. He makes it seem so easy! Those finished edges are really impressive too, and the fact you can get a fancy profile as opposed to just a straight edge. How long does it have to cure before you can stain and polish?
Not as long as you think. Basically you wait until the concrete is evenly colored. But staining can be done later than that. Probably three days. I'll be using a pigment in the mix to darken it and add some color, then adding stain to create the effect of stone. It's not going to be as easy as the video, but not as difficult as pre-casting it, then installing, either. Plus I get to be artistic. I'm going to try for a dark red stone looking finish.

I saw an installation on one of the home shows and the people had the counters done off-site, then brought in and installed. They weigh a ton. Doing it in place is a great idea.
True that. Plus you get the cool edges. I wanted to do square edges with the stone edge look, but my wife wants the fancy edging that is possible with those forms. I'm looking forward to giving it a go. From what I read many first timers get amazing results with those forms. It's the coloring that I worry most about now. Afterwards I'll seal and wax it, but a bit after that I plan on putting on a layer of thin and strong clear epoxy so that I don't have to treat it all the time.

Not as long as you think. Basically you wait until the concrete is evenly colored. But staining can be done later than that. Probably three days. I'll be using a pigment in the mix to darken it and add some color, then adding stain to create the effect of stone. It's not going to be as easy as the video, but not as difficult as pre-casting it, then installing, either. Plus I get to be artistic. I'm going to try for a dark red stone looking finish.

True that. Plus you get the cool edges. I wanted to do square edges with the stone edge look, but my wife wants the fancy edging that is possible with those forms. I'm looking forward to giving it a go. From what I read many first timers get amazing results with those forms. It's the coloring that I worry most about now. Afterwards I'll seal and wax it, but a bit after that I plan on putting on a layer of thin and strong clear epoxy so that I don't have to treat it all the time.

You're one energetic man, Damo! I was only half way through the video and I broke out in a sweat.

Well, we ordered the countertop mix concrete (quikrete brand) from Home Depot, they told us it would be in on the 14th... Then called and said the 21st... So we went in on the 23rd. Still no concrete.

I'm getting sick of not having a sink...

Well, we ordered the countertop mix concrete (quikrete brand) from Home Depot, they told us it would be in on the 14th... Then called and said the 21st... So we went in on the 23rd. Still no concrete.

I'm getting sick of not having a sink...

Man, and here I am with more marble than a quarry.

Back