Some Good Advice for the Young Posters:

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
Don't ever plan a big wedding. Just do a destination wedding somewhere.

Best.Advice.Ever.

I just let my mother-in-law do everything. My only requirement was that I got to wear my boots... It was a wonderful wedding.

So how was your huge wedding?

A cynical viewpoint might say it would be easier and maybe cheaper to just find a woman you hate and buy her a house.
Not with a pre-nup. Ours basically says no one gets anything we didn't buy ourselves. Of course that was 3 years ago when we really didn't own anything, except my guns (which is still my largest investment of money).

Not with a pre-nup. Ours basically says no one gets anything we didn't buy ourselves. Of course that was 3 years ago when we really didn't own anything, except my guns (which is still my largest investment of money).

Pre-nups can be overturned and ultimately they have to be tested in court, which could prove very expensive if it is shown that one side didn't understand the full consequences when they signed. I agree though that they are better than nothing especially in California!

how so? does CO not recognize contracts?
Divorce or "family" laws overcome the contractual agreement. Basically, the man owes and owes and owes... Regardless of anything signed or done by either of the parties. It is an extremely rare occurrence that a man might get custody of the kids, and when such is the case, the man still owes. I'm not kidding. My stepfather paid child support to his ex wife even though my step-sister lived in our house. It disgusted me.

Divorce or "family" laws overcome the contractual agreement. Basically, the man owes and owes and owes... Regardless of anything signed or done by either of the parties. It is an extremely rare occurrence that a man might get custody of the kids, and when such is the case, the man still owes. I'm not kidding. My stepfather paid child support to his ex wife even though my step-sister lived in our house. It disgusted me.

that is amazing....so CO doesn't recognize premarital agreements....fascinating, given that it is a contract between two consenting adults. most states, like CA, put limitations or requirements, such as time, duress etc....but they are still recognized if made a proper time before the wedding and not under duress....especially if the spouse has a lawyer.

as to the shaft - most states shaft the husband....just the way it is, the guy needs a really good lawyer to avoid that

Some states pre-nups are worthless, CO is one of them.
I know a guy who had to pay child support to a woman he never had sex with and wasn't married to. She accused him of being the father and demanded child support. He was called into court and brought his blood test and also had the judge order DNA testing on the baby. It all came back conclusively that he was NOT the father.

The judge order him to make child support payments anyways on the basis that it was better that he pay that money then the state. Oh and because the test proved conclusively that he was not the father he was denied any visitation or custody rights. He later appealed the decision but had to pay child support during appeal. He never got that back.

I know what you mean. When my uncle divorced his alimony was calculated not on his earnings but on his potential earnings.

In my opinion; if you need a pre-nip, then maybe you shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
At least for us average Joes.

Back