Southerns drag their knuckles into the new millennium

No, I'm talking about the ordinary daily activity that happens in these areas, not special events.

Still, you'd let your teenager drive the family car on the Interstate - where the risk is significantly higher, than taking a date to a prom dance in urban Atlanta.

that's exactly what I meant, when I said some people calculate their fear level, on psychological factors. Not empircial fact-based probability.

No, it would not, and I don't claim it would. It is, in this specific case, a form of profiling and it is not based on anecdote.

I live in what the FBI calls one of the MOST VIOLENT small cities in America. That violence is concentrated in several well known neighborhoods. The high school my home is zoned for encompasses a few small upper middle class subdivisions (bussed in) and two of these hotbeds of violence, poverty, and open gang warfare. These two areas are almost exclusively black.

I suppose that not wanting to send my child to what the county recognizes as the county's most violent school, where the vast majority of the violence is linked to the kids from these areas, in an FBI designated most violent small city, makes me a racist. Now what are you going to call my black neighbors who send their child, who is my son's best friend, to exactly the same private school as my child for the same reasons? They must be racists, too.

I didn't say that sending your kids to a private school made you a racist.

I question the support of a white's only prom, regardless. These are two different issues. If your kids were in the school, then they'd be in the school. What would be the point of segregating the prom?

Trog,

IMO, your level of fear is irrational.

I used to live in one of the most notorious, gang-infested cities in california. yet, I NEVER heard of a gun battle or knife fight at any of the inner city high school prom dances. Not once.

And if the neighborhood the school is in, is sketchy, there are was to mitigate that. Have a responsible adult chaparone drive them to the dance, and pick them up. I mean, are they really going to leave the dance to wander crime-infested streets? I think not. I can understand taking reasonable precautions (especially at night) if the neighborhood is sketchy.

I suppose that not wanting to send my child to what the county recognizes as the county's most violent school, where the vast majority of the violence is linked to the kids from these areas, in an FBI designated most violent small city, makes me a racist. Now what are you going to call my black neighbors who send their child, who is my son's best friend, to exactly the same private school as my child for the same reasons? They must be racists, too.

Strawman. No one suggested you were racist for keeping you're child out of that school. I sure as heck would. YOU were the one that said you'd support a segregated prom. You said,

a) Public schools near you are violent
(no one would fault you for not wanting your children anywhere near that kind of environment)
b) most of the people that are violent in your area are black
c) ergo you would support a segregated prom in your area, since you're special.

You could have made a stipulation or made your hypothetical based segregation of trash vs law abiding kids, but you did not.

I'm saying you're racist because you say you'd support segregated proms. I'm assuming racially segregated or are you going to try to back track from the room you've left yourself and pull a Dixie and claim you meant segregated by proclivity to violence, not race? I'm pretty sure that's coming.

This is the exactly the kind of thing which I point to to remind people why involving the opinions of the public as a whole in the political process is not always a good thing.

Call me elitist I'd prefer these people not show up to the polls on election day.

What prom do you go to if you're Hispanic or Asian?
You wouldn't be invited to either it seems. And as you were not part of the "white" or "black" student body you wouldn't be represented in the Student Government either.

I still can't get over this separation and wonder how it is even remotely legal....

"Who knows. Most towns have at least one or two though. But I avoid the deep south so I don't know."

The town I went to high school in had one black family... everyone else was white.

One can get some of the feeling of this going to a Buddhist Center... When we first began you would be familiar with some of the looks we got from those who regularly attended. Once we became familiar it got far better.

"Southpark?"

LMAO... close... small farm town in KS... just south of KC. I am sure most of you can imagine what that was like.

I am sure most of you can imagine what that was like.

"Cow tipping", and dating your second cousins were the two most popular activities???

Back