The 2012 NCAA Football season has begun!!

Fans always complain that the refs missed a call or made a bad call. But it is rare that it is as blatant as the call last night giving Michigan a 1st down.

The Wolverines got close enough to bring out the sticks, but the ball was clearly inches short. The refs gave them the first down and Spurrier went ballistic.

Refs, if you want to try and help a team win, at least be a bit more discreet. In the end it didn't matter. The Gamecocks won.

Holy shit what a hit! I bet that RB will be seeing Clowney in his nightmares for years.

Uh I doubt it. Looks to me like he didn't even get a chance to see him. I was distinctly unimpressed with the SEC this year. Each Big 10 team they played was two teirs below them due to the two best teams being suspended from post season. They should have blown those teams out. There wasn't a team in the SEC east that could beat OSU this year....and though undefeated this wasn't hardly the best OSU team I've ever seen.

Bring on Notre Dame!!
This should be as painfully a boring NCG as last year. Pretty similiar matchups. Two teams with very good defense with very mediocre offenses. When it comes to defense though the numbers are similiar I'd give the edge to ND as they played a significantly tougher schedule this year than Bama as this was an unussual down year for the SEC. ND definately has a better red zone defense too. On offense it's a wash. Neither team will be confused with Oregon on offense. I'll give the edge to ND cause they played a more difficult schedule this year and went undefeated and, in general, have the brighter players. That and, as everyone knows, Jesus loves Catholics more than Southerners.

Jesus and I agree with you, Mott!

Please tell me we're done with that "ZOMG, the Bama-LSU title game was a snoozefest!!" crap, though... :clink:

Jesus and I agree with you, Mott!

Please tell me we're done with that "ZOMG, the Bama-LSU title game was a snoozefest!!" crap, though... :clink:
I dunno.....I'm still not over it....everytime I see crimson and yellow at the same time I get an overwhelming urge to sleep.

Uh I doubt it. Looks to me like he didn't even get a chance to see him. I was distinctly unimpressed with the SEC this year. Each Big 10 team they played was two teirs below them due to the two best teams being suspended from post season. They should have blown those teams out. There wasn't a team in the SEC east that could beat OSU this year....and though undefeated this wasn't hardly the best OSU team I've ever seen.

OSU has had some excellent teams, but overall the Big 10 hasn't been impressive in a while. Even if you ignore the bowl games against the SEC schools, the Big 10 is 1-9 in the Rose bowl in the last 10 years.

Also, there are still 3 games to be played with SEC schools in them. Our best teams have not played yet.

I think one of the main reasons the Big 10 has fallen behind is the unwillingness to pay for better coaches. Meyer did what he did at OSU, so its not a conference thing. But unlike the NFL, where you draft players, the college team has to convince players to pick them.

I think one of the main reasons the Big 10 has fallen behind is the unwillingness to pay for better coaches. Meyer did what he did at OSU, so its not a conference thing. But unlike the NFL, where you draft players, the college team has to convince players to pick them.
Well I don't think that the Big 10 (or the PAC 10) is as far behind the SEC as you think. It is all about the money though. The SEC spends more money, on average, per team than any other conference in college football. The Big 10 is # 2 in spending but is significantly behind the SEC. OSU spends more money than any other team in college football for the last 10 years (but not this year for obvious reasons) which is why they have been the most succesfull college football team in the last 12 years. I don't think it's spending money on coaches in general. It's spending money on the football prgram period.

Northwestern is an excellent example of my point. in 1990 they spent about 3 million on their football program and we're perenial losers. They spent 19 million this year putting them in the top 20 college programs in terms of spending, had a good year and won its first bowl game in like 45 years.

Seven of the top 20 programs in spending are SEC teams and they are the best teams in the SEC. Alambama, Auborn, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, South Carolina and Georgia. All spend over 20 million per year and two spend over 30 million a year. By way of comparison the second best conference has been the Big 10 which also has 7 teams in the top 20 in spending. Of those only 5 spend more than $20 million and only one spends more than $30 million (OSU). That's better than a couple of years ago when 6 SEC teams spent over 20 million per year and only 1 Big 10 team (again OSU) spent over 20 million. So clearly the Big 10 is closing the gap on spending with the SEC and It's safe to assume that when that gap closes (if it closes) the competition will be a lot closer too.

To emphasise my point. There's not a single NCAA BCS Conference National Champion in the last 12 years who isn't in the top 20 list for spending.

With that being the case and OSU spending 11 million more than the next closest Big 10 team, they should dominate the Big 10 for some time to come. If the Big 10 wants to achieve parity with the SEC then they need to increase spending by 3 to 5 million per team, not counting OSU, to be competitive with the SEC. Since the Big 10 has trailed the SEC in generating revenue until recently (when they created their own TV network like the SEC) I think you'll be seeing that parity achieved within the next three to five years.

Last edited:
Inspirational/Pep Movies to Prepare for Monday Night

Notre Dame:
Rudy
Knute Rockne - All American

Alabama:
Forrest Gump
To Kill A Mockingbird

Back