The car thread

Which film is that?

MV5BMTAyN2JmZmEtNjAyMy00NzYwLThmY2MtYWQ3OGNhNjExMm  M4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120735/

Then you must like Volkswagens. Porsche used their engines for years.

I do, but only the older air-cooled ones, and especially the Karmann Ghia hardtop.

And there are plenty of differences between a VW and a Porsche. If there was no real difference, why would anyone pay extra for a Porsche? Snob appeal? I don't think so. In my experience, only Americans have that particular disease in mass abundance.

From memory, IIRC, very early Porsche 356 engines are most similar to the 36 HP VW powerplant, because they share a common origin, being designed by Ferdinand Porsche. Some early prototypes/test mules had VW engines while Porsche designed developed his cars.

It's true that early 356 engines used two-piece cases and were similar to VW motors.

Later 356 engines were built with three-piece cases, starting around 1955.

Some parts are interchangeable, but certainly not all. The heads and rockers are quite distinct from stock VW parts, which is why VW tuners like to use Porsche parts when they can.

You can use cylinder heads off an early Porsche on a 36 HP VW, but later engines have different cylinder stud spacing so they won't fit. You can install a crankshaft from a 356 into an old Volks motor for improvement, and I think the camshaft might fit too.

There's a book called Secrets of the Inner Circle that lists the differences and similarities in more detail.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-In...ner+circle+harry+pellow,stripbooks,356&sr=1-1

I do, but only the older air-cooled ones, and especially the Karmann Ghia hardtop.

And there are plenty of differences between a VW and a Porsche. If there was no real difference, why would anyone pay extra for a Porsche? Snob appeal? I don't think so. In my experience, only Americans have that particular disease in mass abundance.

From memory, IIRC, very early Porsche 356 engines are most similar to the 36 HP VW powerplant, because they share a common origin, being designed by Ferdinand Porsche. Some early prototypes/test mules had VW engines while Porsche designed developed his cars.

It's true that early 356 engines used two-piece cases and were similar to VW motors.

Later 356 engines were built with three-piece cases, starting around 1955.

Some parts are interchangeable, but certainly not all. The heads and rockers are quite distinct from stock VW parts, which is why VW tuners like to use Porsche parts when they can.

You can use cylinder heads off an early Porsche on a 36 HP VW, but later engines have different cylinder stud spacing so they won't fit. You can install a crankshaft from a 356 into an old Volks motor for improvement, and I think the camshaft might fit too.

There's a book called Secrets of the Inner Circle that lists the differences and similarities in more detail.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-In...ner+circle+harry+pellow,stripbooks,356&sr=1-1

I know there are differences. I think VWs are cool too. Never read up on it much, I'm a Ford man.

I'm a '60s and early '70s Ford man. I've had a few sharp later model sports cars, but, I guess it's what grabs your attention when you were a kid. It sticks with you.

Yeah, Biden still has a Corvette. Maybe it's because he wrecked "Doctor" Jill's while she was still married to a good friend of his while he was fucking her on the sly, and it brings back memories of being a back-stabbing, home-wrecking adulterer.

Yeah, Biden still has a Corvette. Maybe it's because he wrecked "Doctor" Jill's while she was still married to a good friend of his while he was fucking her on the sly, and it brings back memories of being a back-stabbing, home-wrecking adulterer.

If he still has it, he doesn't drive it.

Back