The car thread

"2021 Ford GT Heritage Edition comes with a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 putting out 660 HP and 745 Nm of torque."

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ng-v6-excited-about-upcoming-sf90-179278.html

660 HP is nothing to laugh at.

Then there's this 4-cyl.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerato...shows-how-far-engineering-has-come-since-1969

" 600-horsepower unit revs to an ear-shredding 9,500 rpm"
Yes but isn't there a noticeable difference in your average, every day car? I'd guess a 4 cylinder is still more limited in power and speed than a 6, let's say in a Toyota Avalon versus a Corolla, or a Chevy Impala versus a Cruz, etc.

Yes but isn't there a noticeable difference in your average, every day car? I'd guess a 4 cylinder is still more limited in power and speed than a 6, let's say in a Toyota Avalon versus a Corolla, or a Chevy Impala versus a Cruz, etc.

Not as much difference as you'd think. Years ago? Definitely.

From a dead stop, the larger engines perform better, in my opinion/experience. But at highway speed (for passing) a 4 cyl, turbo has more power than you'd think. Then, there's the gas mileage factor, the 4 cyl, beats the larger engines hands down.

I love a high-revving 4 cylinder.

421724.jpg

421726.jpg

421727.jpg

421730.jpg

Still, ain't nothing like the ground pounding roar of a big block with a healthy cam.

Nothing wrong with AMC's. The AMX and Marlin were both fine automobiles.

I had that Gremlin 15 years. I bought brakes,exhaust,one belt,changed plugs once ,a second hand carb from Hornet $20 installed! (I got him high)And a set of mounted snow tires and rims $20 in fifteen years.

Or, you do what Lotus does. You cram a powerful 4 cylinder into a car weighing 1500 lbs. and get a rocket because it weighs half or less of what the competition does.

Or, you do what Lotus does. You cram a powerful 4 cylinder into a car weighing 1500 lbs. and get a rocket because it weighs half or less of what the competition does.

You could do what I'm doing, cram a 530 HP ground pounding 427 big block in a 2000 lb. Cobra. I'll be willing to bet the Cobra will receive far more attention than the Lotus (and embarrass it on the track).

:thup:

But Lotus isn't an average, every day car.

Of course, neither are average, every day drivers.

Is it running?

The engine is running and has been tested on the dyno. The shipping crate has been ordered and it should arrive in 3-5 weeks.
No big deal, it won't be warm enough to drive it for a few months anyway.

The engine is running and has been tested on the dyno. The shipping crate has been ordered and it should arrive in 3-5 weeks. No big deal, it won't be warm enough to drive it for a few months anyway.

So, not even drivable. How do you get around (assuming that you do)?

You could do what I'm doing, cram a 530 HP ground pounding 427 big block in a 2000 lb. Cobra. I'll be willing to bet the Cobra will receive far more attention than the Lotus (and embarrass it on the track).

Of course, neither are average, every day drivers.

Not if you put lots of tight corners in the track. A Lotus will eat a Cobra alive on a tight track. On an open track with lots of straightaways, the Cobra will win, but anybody can drive fast in a straight line...

Back