The climate always changes

Actually that's not true. I spent a year as an oceanographic chemical technician and I can say that oceanography is not really simple.

One of the things we were working on was tracking deep ocean currents.
What didn't you understand???

What didn't you understand???

Hmmmm, well I wasn't actually trained as an oceanographer so I was mainly there to run the gas chromatograph. But the topics I think I found most confusing were things like the Revelle Factor. I mean, I can sort of understand its application, but its derivation and what it actually is doing is still a bit of a struggle for me. I also found that the complexity of various relationships between density, temperature, salinity to kind of be overwhelming since they are quite complex and ultimately drive a lot of the currents in the ocean.

I never fully understood what the guy doing the 4He stuff was doing.

One project I was on was using a tracer to assess gas exchange in an estuary. I was responsible for collecting the samples and running the GC again to test for the tracers we were looking at which was pretty straightforward....but the modeling the grad student who was running the project did was waaay out of my comfort zone.

Don't get me wrong: I learned a LOT during that year but really oceanography is NOT simple. Especially for people like you and I who are not oceanographers.

Hmmmm, well I wasn't actually trained as an oceanographer so I was mainly there to run the gas chromatograph. But the topics I think I found most confusing were things like the Revelle Factor. I mean, I can sort of understand its application, but its derivation and what it actually is doing is still a bit of a struggle for me. I also found that the complexity of various relationships between density, temperature, salinity to kind of be overwhelming since they are quite complex and ultimately drive a lot of the currents in the ocean.

I never fully understood what the guy doing the 4He stuff was doing.

One project I was on was using a tracer to assess gas exchange in an estuary. I was responsible for collecting the samples and running the GC again to test for the tracers we were looking at which was pretty straightforward....but the modeling the grad student who was running the project did was waaay out of my comfort zone.

Don't get me wrong: I learned a LOT during that year but really oceanography is NOT simple. Especially for people like you and I who are not oceanographers.
I don't find it difficult. Often it's just a matter of plugging values into formulas.

It's not like YOU are inventing the formula. :dunno:

Not what I said, not even remotely like what I said. I see you are not going to be able to discuss the topic. Sorry I responded.

All this blather about "history". YES, the earth's climate has changed. Do you know how we know that? It's called paleoclimatology. And it's how we know how the NATURAL forcings can cause warming and cooling. And we better understand the natural forcings. But right now the natural forcings are NOT lining up with the temperature increase. So something else is afoot.

When you factor in human activities you find that the data makes perfect sense.
We can't even predict glaciation cycles.

vostok3.jpg

We can't even predict glaciation cycles.

vostok3.jpg

Why did you post a pretty clear indication of cyclicity with a reasonably clear cycle time to suggest we can't predict glacial advances?

Actually we are supposed to be going into another glacial advance...we are currently in an interglacial. But the temperatures are going in the WRONG direction. Should be an indicator of something key.

And, of course, that is the very real possibility that our activities have overcome the negative forcing due to earth's orbital obliquity. Weird how science lines up isn't it?

Yeah, unfortunatley I'm a scientist so it usually isn't just enough to "plug and chug".

And forgive me if I assume you are just playing here. You don't know the science. You're bluffing.
What else do you have to do besides plug and chug ... then analyze the results?

Why did you post a pretty clear indication of cyclicity with a reasonably clear cycle time to suggest we can't predict glacial advances?

Actually we are supposed to be going into another glacial advance...we are currently in an interglacial. But the temperatures are going in the WRONG direction. Should be an indicator of something key.

And, of course, that is the very real possibility that our activities have overcome the negative forcing due to earth's orbital obliquity. Weird how science lines up isn't it?
No, nothing lines up. Nothing predicted such a long interglacial. And orbital obliquity does not predict glaciation cycles.

As I expected, you would evade the question. Is that what you think scientists do ... evade questions?

LOL.

I think the thing I find most fascinating about these gambits (you trying to pass as a scientist on this discussion) are so boring. For anyone with an actual degree it's 100% OBVIOUS you have almost no scientific training. The saddest part is that you THINK you are able to fake your way through this conversation.

Trust me. You can't. You aren't.

Thanks for playing though. You are starting to bore the shit out of me.

LOL.

I think the thing I find most fascinating about these gambits (you trying to pass as a scientist on this discussion) are so boring. For anyone with an actual degree it's 100% OBVIOUS you have almost no scientific training. The saddest part is that you THINK you are able to fake your way through this conversation.

Trust me. You can't. You aren't.

Thanks for playing though. You are starting to bore the shit out of me.
Word salad :palm:

You don't know what you're talking about so you run away.

LOL.

(You and I both know the truth....and there aren't any outside viewers so why bother with the facade?)
I know the truth. I know why you are unable to prove me wrong. Now, go away, little one.

I know you need the time to google it.

Last edited:
Back