The evolution of complex life

Look, I'm actually making a good faith effort to not be a dick. Please drop the Perry PhD shit. Thanks.

Now, to your point: do you not realize trees obey the laws of physics and don't have "free will" themselves?
When you're a dick, I'll use it at my pleasure. :thup:

Yes, Perry PhD. Do you realize the difference between a living thing and inanimate matter? You're the "doctor" and chemist. Are you saying there's no difference except for chemical structure?

Speaking as one for whom the classic geology joke actually DOES apply: geology is the science you go into when you want to study science but you lack the math skills to make it through a full chemistry or physics degree.

Now, the modern geology student probably does have to have a lot more math. And this was always just a joke around the grad student offices.

It's interesting to see the moves people make in college according to how their interests change. I saw or heard of physics majors switch to geology, physics majors switch to philosophy, and someone in med school decided to
leave and become a theater major.

It's interesting to see the moves people make in college according to how their interests change. I saw or heard of physics majors switch to geology, physics majors switch to philosophy, and someone in med school decided to
leave and become a theater major.

I'm outta here. This thread has gone south with Doc Douchebag deciding he cannot help but troll me.

Sorry.

Nurses don't take much math either, just algebra which is a pre-req for chemistry. BSNs also take statistics. We had a pass a dosage and calc test though before being admitted to the programs. All that stuff is already calculated by the pharmacy but mistakes happen so it's expected that we should be able to detect an error before administering the dose.

Maybe not a lot of math, but nursing school looks hard! I think a nursing student has to work harder than I did as an undergrad, because not only do they have to run a gauntlet of biology, anatomy, and medical math classes, they have to do all that clinical training.

That is not a perpetual motion machine. Perpetual motion machines are not possible because of the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Perpetual motion machines are a violation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Perpetual motion machines violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

No shit, Perry PhD. Let me help you since English seems to have been left out of your studies:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/equivalent
1: equal in force, amount, or value
also : equal in area or volume but not superposable
a square equivalent to a triangle

2 a: like in signification or import
b: having logical equivalence
equivalent statements

3: corresponding or virtually identical especially in effect or function

Additionally, the phrase "results count". https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/magazine/issues/2018/Jul-Sep/PDF/18)DeVos-Leadership_txt.pdf
Only results count. Everyone but the Chief of Staff of the Army will miss a promotion list one day. Just because you
spend every waking hour at work doesn’t mean a thing. As Benjamin Franklin said, “Never confuse motion with
action.

No, they use already existing samples of DNA.

No one has ever spontaneously created DNA or RNA spontaneously out of prebiotic material under laboratory conditions.

Perry PhD seems a little mystified that chemists haven't created life in a test tube.

While I believe the possibility remains open, that dual facts that 1) life has never been found off Earth and 2) it hasn't been created in a lab both indicate that it's not an easy task to achieve.

Perry PhD seems a little mystified that chemists haven't created life in a test tube.

While I believe the possibility remains open, that dual facts that 1) life has never been found off Earth and 2) it hasn't been created in a lab both indicate that it's not an easy task to achieve.

If it was easy and simple as pie to create cellular life under laboratory conditions, it would have been done by now.

That's what makes it irresistible to scientists, maybe even the informed layperson: it is one of the great unresolved mysteries of science, and nothing is more fun for the scientist than trying to solve a mystery

Psychologists take even less; just statistics were required, although trig was part of my core classes.

Yeah, and you didn't even do well in stats. You didn't even know what the null hypothesis was when I mentioned it earlier.

You really must have SUCKED at university.

Glad you could get a job being a janitor at Norad.

If it was easy and simple as pie to create cellular life under laboratory conditions, it would have been done by now.

That's what makes it irresistible to scientists, maybe even the informed layperson: it is one of the great unresolved mysteries of science, and nothing is more fun for the scientist than trying to solve a mystery

Agreed that cracking the mystery of life is one of the Holy Grails of Biochemical scientists. I think they'll eventually do it which will, in turn, lead to a great revolution in how mankind expands off planet.

FUCK YOU.
I'm outta here. This thread has gone south with Doc Douchebag deciding he cannot help but troll me.

Sorry.
Yeah, and you didn't even do well in stats. You didn't even know what the null hypothesis was when I mentioned it earlier.

You really must have SUCKED at university.

Glad you could get a job being a janitor at Norad.
Your anger and pettiness is beneath that of HS student, Perry, much less a 50something PhD.

It's this type of behavior that indicates to me that you are under a lot of stress. To earn a PhD is an excellent accomplishment that requires both smarts and hard work. Obviously, you have both...which is why you acting like a piss-offed teenager is so interesting to me. It's immature, highly emotional and completely irrational. Ergo, there is another variable at work.

In people, that most common variable is stress from lack of a job, relationship issues, major illness and/or the like.

OTOH, I could be completely wrong and you are simply an idiot savant who can have a PhD in geochemistry but the personality of a 15 year old.

Speaking of off world,
planetary scientists discovered an Earth-like planet only 30 light years away, Wolf 1069b.

https://www.sciencealert.com/astronomers-find-what-may-be-a-habitable-world-31-light-years-away

An interesting statistic: "So, while more than 5,200 exoplanets have been confirmed at time of writing, fewer than 1.5 percent of those have masses below that of two Earths."

Obviously, a lot goes into a planet being habitable for our species, which is why the discussion of test tube life is interesting. In the "Alien" movies, they talked about terraforming machines. A living machine that grows and replicates itself while converting methane to hydrogen and carbon and CO2 into carbon and oxygen would turn many planets habitable, even if humans had to live in a living dome for a century or two.

An interesting statistic: "So, while more than 5,200 exoplanets have been confirmed at time of writing, fewer than 1.5 percent of those have masses below that of two Earths."

Obviously, a lot goes into a planet being habitable for our species, which is why the discussion of test tube life is interesting. In the "Alien" movies, they talked about terraforming machines. A living machine that grows and replicates itself while converting methane to hydrogen and carbon and CO2 into carbon and oxygen would turn many planets habitable, even if humans had to live in a living dome for a century or two.

Small, rocky planets have historically been difficult to detect with our remote sensing techniques, so the search for explanets was always biased towards gas giants. As the technology gets better, we probably will find more small, Earth like planets.

I think Star Trek decieved me Into believing that the galaxy is pregnant with intelligent life. Intelligent life in the galaxy might be exceedingly rare.

It seems like we are centuries away from interstellar colonization, but the success of movies like Avatar demostratr how appealing the idea is to the human imagination!

Your anger and pettiness is beneath that of HS student, Perry, much less a 50something PhD.

It's this type of behavior that indicates to me that you are under a lot of stress. To earn a PhD is an excellent accomplishment that requires both smarts and hard work. Obviously, you have both...which is why you acting like a piss-offed teenager is so interesting to me. It's immature, highly emotional and completely irrational. Ergo, there is another variable at work.

In people, that most common variable is stress from lack of a job, relationship issues, major illness and/or the like.

OTOH, I could be completely wrong and you are simply an idiot savant who can have a PhD in geochemistry but the personality of a 15 year old.

middle-finger.jpg

Small, rocky planets have historically been difficult to detect with our remote sensing techniques, so the search for explanets was always biased towards gas giants. As the technology gets better, we probably will find more small, Earth like planets.

I think Star Trek decieved me Into believing that the galaxy is pregnant with intelligent life. Intelligent life in the galaxy might be exceedingly rare.

It seems like we are centuries away from interstellar colonization, but the success of movies like Avatar demostratr how appealing the idea is to the human imagination!

A slight disagreement; I believe life itself is exceedingly rare, given the results, but believe that where life exists it will eventually become intelligent.

Interstellar flight using conventional means would, indeed, take a long time. With renewable energy, mining the asteroids and building life ships that would take a century or two to reach another solar system are a possibility.

As Earth's own history proves; there will always be those who want to go and those who'd rather stay. :)

QED.

IMO, your anger is an example of displaced aggression because you can't get a major promotion in your department. Judging by your behavior, it's easy to see why you aren't put in charge of a multi-million dollar project.

Being a scientist is one thing, but like teaching, leading a group of scientists is a different skill set. If that is the problem, then your best option is to start reading more about leadership and management.

Here's a good first lesson: Leaders lead people, managers manage things. Good luck! :thup:

https://www.dalecarnegie.com/en/leadership-training
Building Leadership Skills to Confront Today's Challenges
Our leadership development training covers a variety of topics to strengthen confidence and capability.
  • Employee Engagement
  • Retention
  • Culture
  • Resilience
  • Change Management

Back