The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all. Barry is just off the coast. Here is the latest advisory from NOAA.

Gods, this is epic but not in a good way. We found out last night that Mr. Owl's sister *is* in a storm surge area, but thankfully behind levees. Hoping that they hold. She said that they had to put sandbags up against their front door. Haven't heard from her yet this morning. My son said that they did not shut his plant down this time around. They are expecting heavy rain but not power outages.

Gods, this is epic but not in a good way. We found out last night that Mr. Owl's sister *is* in a storm surge area, but thankfully behind levees. Hoping that they hold. She said that they had to put sandbags up against their front door. Haven't heard from her yet this morning. My son said that they did not shut his plant down this time around. They are expecting heavy rain but not power outages.

This could be bad!

The prediction is the storm surge will not top the levees. But one never knows, keep your fingers crossed.

If you remember Katrina they predicted the storm surge would top the levees. NOAA's job is to reduce deaths as much as possible.

You're right. I remember nearly an entire week of worst-case scenario forecasts. Then watching live as it all came true.... and it was even worse than predicted.

Here the NWS issues warnings for even run-of-the-mill thunderstorms during the summer months. There are thousands of ppl outside at their camps and on and around the lakes at risk of lightning strikes.

Oh wow, really? That's hilarious!

I don't know if this is the event but it launched his career.
"When Hurricane Carla hit the Texas Coast in September 1961, it landed with such intensity that no other hurricane to hit Texas has ever matched it. It also ranks as the ninth most powerful storm to hit the US since 1851. Rather saw this news event as a way to make his mark as a reporter and he did. Out in the storm at its worst and risking his own personal safety, Rather reported to Houstonians what was happening. His coverage of this news event caught the attention of CBS News executives in New York. By 1962, Rather joined CBS News."

How's everything? I'm pretty busy, "saving the world":)

I got this damn stinger in my hip yesterday morning bending over cleaning my car. Luckily, it didn't bother me during the car show yesterday, but came back after I got home. I'm hobbling around using a cane this morning. Grrr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back