The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel so bad for Alaska, taking a double whammy with no tourism and oil down.

The same can be said for all the major tourist destinations. Florida, New York, Alaska, Hawaii just to name a few. Maybe they can use those supertankers to store some of the excess oil till travel resumes and the demand goes up.

The same can be said for all the major tourist destinations. Florida, New York, Alaska, Hawaii just to name a few. Maybe they can use those supertankers to store some of the excess oil till travel resumes and the demand goes up.

I guess that's why FL wants to have its beaches open.

Alaska's financial issues are due to the fact that it has very few alternative sources of revenue. Tourism and energy are pretty much it, with commercial fishing being third. There is no state income tax, yet. So the state budget is pretty well hosed until they can get tourism back, and the price of oil rises.

Wow. They really mean it there. That's surprising, since TX is generally pretty laissez-faire when it comes to stuff like that. I'm not sure if I can agree with that strictness. I'm also puzzled at why ppl up here can't use motorized craft on Michigan waterways. To keep them from clumping together at the marinas?
Isn't it f-ing stupid? Just like the whining about the beaches here.

I mean, reaaaallly dumb. I'd be able to win the lottery before I'd catch Covid at a marina or on the beach or outside at all, really.

Alaska's financial issues are due to the fact that it has very few alternative sources of revenue. Tourism and energy are pretty much it, with commercial fishing being third. There is no state income tax, yet. So the state budget is pretty well hosed until they can get tourism back, and the price of oil rises.
Florida wants its beaches open because it's a nice, harmless getaway. It's a place you can go to walk, escape from it all yet not be in danger of getting Covid.

There are reports that of all places to be safer from the virus it's the beaches, sun and sand kill the virus while the see breeze disperses making it more vulnerable to the sun and sand. I'm not saying totally opening the beaches but a few hours during the day while still enforcing distance separation.

Florida wants its beaches open because it's a nice, harmless getaway. It's a place you can go to walk, escape from it all yet not be in danger of getting Covid.

And they attract tourists. Who bring $$ which we all need.

A lot of ppl up here are worried about tourists coming and bringing something other than money. A lot of downstate and out-of-state people have summer homes and camps up here. (A third of our township's residents leave in the fall and return in summer.) I don't see anything wrong with letting them return to their homes and camps, as long as they do the social distancing in common areas like stores, marinas, the beaches, etc. But some ppl are really paranoid about that.

You said this 2 months ago.What are you going to say two months from now!
Hotter! It's in the 40's,49 states aren't Florida
In the 40s? How can you people live in these places? It's almost May.

Our hospitals are dead instead of running over, workers furloughed because "non essential" services and surgeries cancelled. This is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back