The General Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad, that place get slammed a lot........

We watch a program on HGTV called "International House Hunters." A recent episode had some ppl looking to move to the Bahamas. Of course they wanted a house on the beach. Bet they are regretting that now. Hopefully since the U.S. was mostly spared, we'll have more resources to help our neighbors there with recovery.

Everyone donate what you can to help the Bahamas...there are countless ways....
It's National Tailgate Day...we'll be collecting today for rescue efforts;)
Great story:

We watch a program on HGTV called "International House Hunters." A recent episode had some ppl looking to move to the Bahamas. Of course they wanted a house on the beach. Bet they are regretting that now. Hopefully since the U.S. was mostly spared, we'll have more resources to help our neighbors there with recovery.

Yes, the beach is a dangerous place unless you are up on a "stable" cliff w/ access.........

I have seen a sandy beach in NY washed away in 2-3 days from a moderate storm. They had rock barriers out into the water & I am still not sure if they help or make it worse..

Yes, the beach is a dangerous place unless you are up on a "stable" cliff w/ access.........

I have seen a sandy beach in NY washed away in 2-3 days from a moderate storm. They had rock barriers out into the water & I am still not sure if they help or make it worse..

Yeah, hard to say w/o knowing much about the physics of water/liquids.

Yeah, hard to say w/o knowing much about the physics of water/liquids.

It is actually very complicated.. There is a light house in Santa Cruz & they fortified it a few years ago w/ various large shaped cement blocks, several tons each & they look like they were randomly tossed but they are all strategically placed to dissipate the power of each wave... It is interesting to see it work..
o.jpg

Last edited:
It is actually very complicated.. There is a light house in Santa Cruz & they fortified it a few years ago w/ various large shaped cement blocks, several tons each & they look like they were randomly tossed but they are all strategically placed to dissipate the power of each wave... It is interesting to see it work..
o.jpg

Cool pic... yours? Are the blocks placed in sort of a V formation, to push the incoming waves off to either side? Mr. Owl would dearly love to see the computer program they wrote that dictated the optimal arrangement!

Cool pic... yours? Are the blocks placed in sort of a V formation, to push the incoming waves off to either side? Mr. Owl would dearly love to see the computer program they wrote that dictated the optimal arrangement!

No, it is from the city site there I think.....

From what I recall each one is placed differently so as to dissipate the waves gradually..

I am sure they must have used one-goggle.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back