The Historicity of Jesus Christ

It may very well be that there was a historical Jesus. As a non-believer I'm A-OK with that being the case. And indeed many scholars now believe he was historically real. I think the key point is that we know vanishingly little about him from contemporary sources. I ASSUME the wonderful teachings attributed to him are, indeed, his, but I don't think we can necessarily count on the Gospels (the "Synoptic" ones) as being accurate histories given their inconsistencies, the fact that they were written decades after the events and all written from some particular bias for a particular audience.

Obtenebrator:

There are no inconsistencies in the Gospels. The Christian Greek Scriptures aka New Testament ("NT") is entirely consistent. Jesus' 1st Century disciples reported various incidents from different viewpoints. Those are not inconsistencies; it's simply reporting the same incident from a different angle.

And I can easily dismiss the miracles and the coming back to life stories.

Go ahead and dismiss to your heart's content. Until you can prove the miracles and the resurrections did not happen, your comment is simply that of an unbeliever. Nothing more.

The witnesses to Jesus's existence and ministry were almost entirely Jewish. We know most Jewish scholars would destroy any evidence of his existence whenever they found it, it's a frequent practice with them in those days, denying anything outside their post-Ezra cult as not existing. But, we have the 4 Gospels and Paul, all Jewish or a disciple of educated Jews in Luke's case, and some scholars hold the opinion that Luke was also a Jew. Then there are the followers, numbering in the thousands and known to already exist in those years and soon after his death.

Even Bart Ehrman, an oft cited critic of Christianity, wrote a book proving he was a real person.

DArrell Bock has written extensively on the evidence that the orthodoxy regarding the NT books are indeed valid and can be trusted, as opposed to the Gnostic rubbish and the silly nonsense that Constantine rewrote a lot of stuff in the 4th Century.

See also Joachim Jeremia's excellent econmic and social history Jerusalem In The Time Of Jesus, which extensively verifies that NT texts are indeed contemporary writings and there are no anachronisms in them, making it impossible for them to have been in some later century. He extensively footnotes the book and used entirely Jewish sources.

AS for whether he was a 'divine' son of God or not isn't relevant to the issue of whether he really existed or not; the fact is he did indeed exist, and was a well educated rabbi to boot..
EdwinA:

Great comments and fine research on your part. Although I don't agree with your last paragraph, "AS for whether he was a 'divine' son of God or not isn't relevant to the issue of whether he really existed or not; the fact is he did indeed exist, and was a well educated rabbi to boot," the rest of your comments are great!

Alter2Ego

There are no inconsistencies in the Gospels.

Then explain his different genealogies? And why would it matter what line Joseph had if he wasn't the father?

Jesus' 1st Century disciples reported various incidents from different viewpoints. Those are not inconsistencies; it's simply reporting the same incident from a different angle.

Different genealogies are not just the same thing from a different view point.

Go ahead and dismiss to your heart's content. Until you can prove the miracles and the resurrections did not happen

I am under no obligation to prove a negative.

, your comment is simply that of an unbeliever. Nothing more.

Pretty much by definition.

Then explain his different genealogies? And why would it matter what line Joseph had if he wasn't the father?

Different genealogies are not just the same thing from a different view point.

I am under no obligation to prove a negative.

Pretty much by definition.
it is your obligation, but it cannot be done.

that's a pickle you put yourself in.

Back