The Honest General Store - Honest management guaranteed

We had ham, sweet red cabbage, salted cucumbers, mashed potatoes, kulich, and pashka.

I am finishing watching a video course on the Byzantine Empire. Wow, I realize now our traditional European and Western civilization college history courses are woefully incomplete - even misleading
Is the cabbage cooked?

Share some of your enlightenment. I love, the rest of the story...

I'm going to PM you for help then! Mr. Owl loves it too. Me, not so much. So my make-it-at-home Mexican repertoire is pretty lame. I want to fix him some since all the Mex restaurants are closed.
There is an amazing site on Facebook, the Abuelas chef it up!

I cooked my wife her favorite: cornish game hen. Then we played Yahtzee. Yes, not the same without family but, thanks to modern technology, it's not as bad as back in the day depending upon a telephone call with no answering machine. :)

61Fs975x9zL._AC_SY355_.jpg

The one time I went to Popeye's,the piece looked like they came from a cornish hen

It still sounds delicious though. We're having the traditional ham, potatoes, etc. And the Bunny brought Mr. Owl an Easter basket, COVID be damned. lol
I had prepared early and bought Bud a basket, too. The tradition fare is always good!
Ham is great....we have it every day. After Christmas, hams went on sale for half price. Having a deep freezer, I bought four of them. One was spiral cut, so that was easy. One I just froze whole after slicing up the other two with my trusty electric knife, dividing and bagging. One gallon plastic bags are cheap and handy for holding a few pounds of ham each. Real ham sandwiches and real ham slices next to a pair of over easy eggs are regular meals for us.

What I haven't seen around here is lamb. That's a traditional meal and I've only eaten lamb a few times in my life. Is it a regional thing because I don't recall seeing it at the local stores in North Texas or when I lived in the Florida Panhandle.

Ham is great....we have it every day. After Christmas, hams went on sale for half price. Having a deep freezer, I bought four of them. One was spiral cut, so that was easy. One I just froze whole after slicing up the other two with my trusty electric knife, dividing and bagging. One gallon plastic bags are cheap and handy for holding a few pounds of ham each. Real ham sandwiches and real ham slices next to a pair of over easy eggs are regular meals for us.

What I haven't seen around here is lamb. That's a traditional meal and I've only eaten lamb a few times in my life. Is it a regional thing because I don't recall seeing it at the local stores in North Texas or when I lived in the Florida Panhandle.
I love ham, too.

We can get lamb here at Costco and some cuts at H.E.B, a Texan grocery chain. I like lamb if people know how to prepare it.

Not even to go orders?Do you have any Mexican stores,that make tamales?

There is a Borders that has to-go but he doesn't think of it as real Mexican. And a Taco Bell, but ditto. We have gone there a couple of times since the COVID came. First time since we moved here!

Is the cabbage cooked?

Share some of your enlightenment. I love, the rest of the story...

Its cooked sweet red cabbage, it is a popular side dish in Germany and Eastern Europe!

Western civilization classes usually focus on Greco-Roman antiquity and then make a beeline straight for the middle ages and Renaissance of western Europe. Byzantium is generally under appreciated, but it was a center of knowledge, philosophy, culture, literary tradition which was ultimately transmitted to the more primitive western Europe states after the Dark Ages. It is doubtful there would have been an Italian Renaissance without Byzantium being a repository of classical knowedge.

I'm going to PM you for help then! Mr. Owl loves it too. Me, not so much. So my make-it-at-home Mexican repertoire is pretty lame. I want to fix him some since all the Mex restaurants are closed.

I can help if you need Mexican food to cook. Just tell me what protein, produce, starch, and cheese you have.

I can help if you need Mexican food to cook. Just tell me what protein, produce, starch, and cheese you have.

Awesome, thanks!

He loves burritos. I've made breakfast burritos that he says are very good. But I want to make the kind you might have for supper... with beef, maybe, and beans, cheese, jalapenos.

It turned out well. I love Mexican food.
Not even to go orders?Do you have any Mexican stores,that make tamales?

Big Mexican food fan here, but not of tamales. :p Fajitas, tacos, enchiladas and chili are home favorites. My wife isn't as big a fan of hot peppers like I am so I put the fresh/freshly sauteed jalapenos on the side for myself.

One cheap easy dish is ground turkey Tex-Mex skillet chili. I like my chili meaty and use two 1-lb ground turkey servings instead of one lb of hamburger. Saute' half or more of an onion (and half or more of a jalapeno) in a large skillet...one that can be covered. Remove the veggies, set aside and thoroughly brown the turkey (or hamburger), add the sauteed veggies back in along with a can of diced tomatoes, can of whole kernel corn, garlic to taste (I like a tablespoon of minced) and, if desired, a package of taco seasoning. I've used a quarter cup of BBQ sauce as seasoning too. To avoid being too wet, I drain the corn and tomatoes prior to cooking. Stir it all together, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

The thing about chili is that, like a stew, you can't go wrong as long as it tastes good. Experiment to see what you like.

Similarly, I've often made "Let's see what's left over in the fridge" stew. Good stuff. :)

We had ham, sweet red cabbage, salted cucumbers, mashed potatoes, boiled eggs, kulich, and pashka.

I am finishing watching a video course on the Byzantine Empire. Wow, I realize now our traditional European and Western civilization college history courses are woefully incomplete - even misleading

Why misleading? BTW, for those who like audio books: https://12byzantinerulers.com/

His Norman Centuries is also excellent:
https://normancenturies.com/

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but aren't almost all the threads here already doing that? lol

True! Which is why it amazes me that people who put others on ignore or, worse, ban them from a thread think they are actually accomplishing anything.

An example is this thread; so I piss of Eagle-Eye who bans me from his thread. So what? I just start this one and life goes on. What was the purpose? What did he accomplish by banning me? Zip. Zero. Nada. Well, except proving he's petty, but that's not my problem. :)

I tend to freestyle based on what I like or have. The main thing is preparing the protein and then you can use it countless ways.

A cook after my own heart! That's what I do....and I do like the protein. As mentioned above, I've been using a lot of ham and ground turkey the past few months. It's easy, meaty and keeps well when frozen.

Not sure about elsewhere, but in my little part of Texas the local Walmart's sell their rotisserie chickens for half price the day or later after initial cooking. I'll buy one, boil it, shred it and then use the meat for either Green Chili Enchiladas or Chicken-potato-whole corn chowder.

I'm not a big fan of cooking, but I'm certainly a fan of eating. I'll cook something that will last a couple of meals. Chowders and chilis keep well. Same for the enchiladas.

Why misleading? BTW, for those who like audio books: https://12byzantinerulers.com/

His Norman Centuries is also excellent:
https://normancenturies.com/

Misleading because European history classes are heavily weighted towards western Europe, and almost disregard Eastern Europe. Not to mention the Eastern Orthodox culture is barely mentioned. I now understand the history of western Europe better now because I know things about the Byzantine Empire. It puts all of Europe in better context for me.

Our history education is also misleading and unbalanced because your average person could probably say a couple of things about ancient Rome and Greece - but they would be hard pressed to say anything intelligent about Byzantium and Constantinople.

I love ham, too.

We can get lamb here at Costco and some cuts at H.E.B, a Texan grocery chain. I like lamb if people know how to prepare it.

I've been to HEB down in Killeen and Beaumont but we don't have any in North Texas.

I've never cooked lamb and would have to Google it if I ever found any.

Back