The Honest General Store - Honest management guaranteed

Misleading because European history classes are heavily weighted towards western Europe, and almost disregard Eastern Europe. Not to mention the Eastern Orthodox culture is barely mentioned. I now understand the history of western Europe better now because I know things about the Byzantine Empire. It puts all of Europe in better context for me.

Our history education is also misleading and unbalanced because your average person could probably say a couple of things about ancient Rome and Greece - but they would be hard pressed to say anything intelligent about Byzantium and Constantinople.
True, but that's not a "Western" bias, just a gap in learning history.

Most people think the "Fall of the Roman Empire" was a complete collapse, not just a collapse of the Western Roman Empire while the Eastern Roman Empire survived.

...and the "Dark Ages" weren't really dark. Also, the Holy Roman Empire wasn't Holy, Roman or an Empire. :D

Good morning. I have been doing a lot of soul searching since the virus hit. I now believe it's natures way of thinning out the pollution cause that is killing the planet. I hear by announce I am joining the side of common sense about climate change and politics. I am registering as a Democrat.
& I'm voting for trump

ROFL.
Good Morning;)
Good evening.

Hope everyone had a relaxed Sunday at home. I did.

True, but that's not a "Western" bias, just a gap in learning history.

Most people think the "Fall of the Roman Empire" was a complete collapse, not just a collapse of the Western Roman Empire while the Eastern Roman Empire survived.

...and the "Dark Ages" weren't really dark. Also, the Holy Roman Empire wasn't Holy, Roman or an Empire. :D

Its interesting that we have taken the word Byzantine, and turned it into a disparaging insult: archaic, excessively complicated, inefficient.

I personally think traditional historical education here was biased towards the Anglo Saxon, Latin, western Christianity tradition. I believe the Byzantine, Eastern Orthodox tradition used to be generally viewed as foreign, exotic, vaguely Asiatic, and unfamiliar

Its interesting that we have taken the word Byzantine, and turned it into a disparaging insult: archaic, excessively complicated, inefficient.

I personally think traditional historical education here was biased towards the Anglo Saxon, Latin, western Christianity tradition. I believe the Byzantine, Eastern Orthodox tradition used to be generally viewed as foreign, exotic, vaguely Asiatic, and unfamiliar
Not that I've ever heard. The most negative thing I've heard associated with the word is bureaucracy. Mostly I remember it from both a religious and a military perspective:

http://byzantinemilitary.blogspot.com/2015/06/battle-of-fields-of-cato-and-moorish.html

A cook after my own heart! That's what I do....and I do like the protein. As mentioned above, I've been using a lot of ham and ground turkey the past few months. It's easy, meaty and keeps well when frozen.

Not sure about elsewhere, but in my little part of Texas the local Walmart's sell their rotisserie chickens for half price the day or later after initial cooking. I'll buy one, boil it, shred it and then use the meat for either Green Chili Enchiladas or Chicken-potato-whole corn chowder.

I'm not a big fan of cooking, but I'm certainly a fan of eating. I'll cook something that will last a couple of meals. Chowders and chilis keep well. Same for the enchiladas.

I don't cook that much lately because of health issues catching up with me and leaving me tired. I do like to make some fresh roast beef on occasion though. I used to make chili that I could best describe as a carpet bomb of the tongue.

My Inferno chili (No Holds Barred Trial Edition) This is for a large batch, I leave math up to others that want it cut in half or more. If any takers exist.

About a pound of ground chuck with half a pound of ground sirloin. (Mix with plenty of sriracha seasoning and about half a bottle of green Tabasco or other green sauce. Let sit for a few hours in a large plastic bag in the fridge.)
1 package of ground hot chorizo.
1 2.5 oz hot Mexican style chili powder
2 TBSP regular chili powder
1 & 1/3 TBSP scotch bonnet powder (Revised from 1 TBSP)
1 4.0 gram vile of 7 pot brain strain powder
7 jalapenos diced
1 1/2 pint of habaneros diced
2 cipollini onions peeled and diced
10 dried Thai peppers, 1 dried ghost pepper, 2 dried Trinidad scorpion peppers (grind in mortar and pestle with little bit of water)
2 10 oz cans, Rotel Diced tomatoes, with habaneros
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
2 14.5 oz diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1 14.5 oz stewed tomatoes (Mexican style)
10-15 grinds of Szechuan peppercorn
1 TBSP smoked paprika
1 TBSP dried lemon peel
1 TBSP dried Marjoram
1 TBSP crushed red pepper
1 TSP ground cumin
2 TBSP Turbinado sugar (Revised from 1 & 1/3 TBSP total.)
Small palm-full of Smoked sea salt (I used smoked serrano for more heat)
1 46 fl oz can Tomato juice
1 average size bottle dark ale

As my original and more friendly avatar, I created this recipe discussion. I reserve that avatar only for those nicer discussions.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...e-s-Recipe-Exchange&highlight=scorpion+pepper

Last edited:
Not that I've ever heard. The most negative thing I've heard associated with the word is bureaucracy. Mostly I remember it from both a religious and a military perspective:

http://byzantinemilitary.blogspot.com/2015/06/battle-of-fields-of-cato-and-moorish.html
It is a negative adjective, used for things not looked favorably upon

"byzantine" - ADJECTIVE

Collins Dictionary
If you describe a system or process as byzantine, you are criticizing it because it seems complicated or secretive

Miriam Webster Dictionary:
of, relating to, or characterized by a devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation

Oxford Dictionary:
Complex and difficult to understand

It is a negative adjective, used for things not looked favorably upon

"byzantine" - ADJECTIVE

Collins Dictionary
If you describe a system or process as byzantine, you are criticizing it because it seems complicated or secretive

Miriam Webster Dictionary:
of, relating to, or characterized by a devious and usually surreptitious manner of operation

Oxford Dictionary:
Complex and difficult to understand

Thanks. Even so, I've mostly seen Byzantium in a positive light and rarely negative. Rome, after all, was not known just for tossing Christians to the lions or Nero fiddling while the city burned <-- a myth.

You ban me then post to me knowing I can't respond? What kind of person are you?

3welyr.jpg

If you had followed the rules you wouldn't have been banned. But like Trump you can't keep your big mouth shut.

If you had followed the rules you wouldn't have been banned. But like Trump you can't keep your big mouth shut.

Yet you're okay with your buddy RB saying nasty stuff about someone else who isn't even posting on that thread... he brought it to your "nice thread" instead.

Yet you're okay with your buddy RB saying nasty stuff about someone else who isn't even posting on that thread... he brought it to your "nice thread" instead.

Ok you think I am being unfair to I suppose a pal or sock on your side of the aisle, and that is your opinion. we disagree vehemently about politics this isn't much different. I see Dutch as a left wing mouthpiece and I suppose you don't. As far as RB's post you don't know what I did or didn't do and frankly that is between RB and me. The first thing I learned about supervision is you do not chew someone out in public, that said case closed.

Ok you think I am being unfair to I suppose a pal or sock on your side of the aisle, and that is your opinion. we disagree vehemently about politics this isn't much different. I see Dutch as a left wing mouthpiece and I suppose you don't. As far as RB's post you don't know what I did or didn't do and frankly that is between RB and me. The first thing I learned about supervision is you do not chew someone out in public, that said case closed.

Okay then. Ban the ppl you perceive as being on the left -- as evidenced by the hefty thread-ban at the top of the page -- but quietly only chide the ppl on the right. Check.

As far as I can see from his posts, DU is not on the left at all. He merely despises #COVID45 as all intelligent, ethical ppl do. He even said he'd vote for Pence, much to my disgust. lol

Okay then. Ban the ppl you perceive as being on the left -- as evidenced by the hefty thread-ban at the top of the page -- but quietly only chide the ppl on the right. Check.

As far as I can see from his posts, DU is not on the left at all. He merely despises #COVID45 as all intelligent, ethical ppl do. He even said he'd vote for Pence, much to my disgust. lol

Ban the ppl you perceive as being on the left -- as evidenced by the hefty thread-ban at the top of the page -- but quietly only chide the ppl on the right.

I believe you will see I banned people on the right also. Granted there are more lefties. I picked people to ban based on my opinion of them being able to have a somewhat civil debate without turning it into a flame war.

but quietly only chide the ppl on the right.

Again you have no facts to base that charge on. There have been others on the left I privately cautioned.

You may not believe this but I try to be fair with everyone till I see it's hopeless. Hell one of the biggest anti Trump people here is Frank A. and other than politics we get along great in fact I have a lot of respect for the man. If you want to believe I'm a die hard conservative who believes there is no middle ground so be it.

Like Trump you can't take criticism without flying off the handle and firing someone. Sad, weak and lame are good adjectives for you.

I am finishing up a course on important women of late antiquity and the middle ages.

The ones that made a real impression are these:

The Christian martyr Perpetua
The Celtic warrior queen Boudicca
Hypatia of Alexandria

Back