The most astonishing comment about the War, so far...

Cypress, his focus is there, prognostications of other theatres are for other people who have that focus as their job.

If I were he, I too would not offer an opinion on that subject. It seems that he is a bit smarter than you are politically.

Okay, and anonymous poster Cypress think that R. Paul and I are out to lunch....

blah, blah...

I can definitely believe that a Senator asked a question that was a bit dumb. Nobody is perfect. His focus is Iraq. Keep your eye on the prize.

I don't think Republican Senator Warner's question was dumb at all. It is almost universally acknowelged that Senator Warner is the top, and most credible, republican Senator on military mattters.

You guys, as a knee-jerk reaction, diagreed with me...simply because it was me. You didn't think about the fact, that the most credible republican senator on military matters, bascially thought Patreus might should know the answer too.

LOL

That's funny, that y'all just have a gut level reaction to any post started by "cypress", without even looking at the whole context.

:clink:

Oh My..............

Yes, I know, the same on my old message board. You would swear there were only two choices after 9/11: Attack Iraq or Do Nothing. Well, and the third one which was "surrender immediately" the top choice of Democrats like Al Gore, so thank God he wasn't President. I mean, Gore tried to surrender, and he wasn't even President.

with this I just think I had a Or...never mind... darla is a winger...my bad...can we kiss and make up now?..or not..are we having fun now?

I don't think Republican Senator Warner's question was dumb at all. It is almost universally acknowelged that Senator Warner is the top, and most credible, republican Senator on military mattters.

You guys, as a knee-jerk reaction, diagreed with me...simply because it was me. You didn't think about the fact, that the most credible republican senator on military matters, bascially thought Patreus might should know the answer too.

LOL

That's funny, that y'all just have a gut level reaction to any post started by "cypress", without even looking at the whole context.

:clink:
No, I think that his expectation that Patraeus would offer prognostications outside his area of responsibility was a bit dumb.

Some Generals would answer the question and set themselves up for later criticism if their prognostication was incorrect, Patraeus appears smarter than that.

Somebody earlier stated, "All Generals are Politicians", it seems that Patraeus is better at it than you give him credit for.

I thought the context of the question was clearly with regard to Iraq and our strategy there, & whatever threat might come from that area. I don't think Warner was asking the General about our border security, immigration problems, ports or any other aspects of the threat to America...

Cypress, his focus is there, prognostications of other theatres are for other people who have that focus as their job.

If I were he, I too would not offer an opinion on that subject. It seems that he is a bit smarter than you are politically.

Patreus later amended his statement later, to say that Yes, the Iraq war would make us safer. So, he realized he bungled the original answer, and came back with a different answer.

So which is it Damo? Patreus isn't supposed to comment on it? Or he is?

I thought the context of the question was clearly with regard to Iraq and our strategy there, & whatever threat might come from that area. I don't think Warner was asking the General about our border security, immigration problems, ports or any other aspects of the threat to America...
Yet the question involves all of them. "Will the US be safer?" includes all of those things.

Patreus later amended his statement later, to say that Yes, the Iraq war would make us safer. So, he realized he bungled the original answer, and came back with a different answer.

So which is it Damo? Patreus isn't supposed to comment on it? Or he is?
I said that I would not. It is interesting that he did. I think the first answer is genuine, the second may have come with a bit of pressure.

Now I think Patraeus was a bit dumb for answering the question.

That's really misrepresenting the context of the question, in a BIG way...

Senator WARNER: "I hope in the recesses of your heart that you know that strategy will continue the casualties, stress on our forces, stress on military families, stress on all Americans. Are you able to say at this time, if we continue what you have laid before the Congress, this strategy, that if you continue, you are making America safer? "

Great question, by the most RESPECTED republican senator on military affairs:

Patreus should have a sense, of whether continuing his strategy and his war, will make america safer. Given the sacrifices our nation is being asked to give.

Last edited:
Senator WARNER: "I hope in the recesses of your heart that you know that strategy will continue the casualties, stress on our forces, stress on military families, stress on all Americans. Are you able to say at this time, if we continue what you have laid before the Congress, this strategy, that if you continue, you are making America safer? "
So, the question wasn't even as represented on the site? Geez. I hate this type of disingenuous crap.

Sometimes I don't have time to look at and read a story, I take people at their word that they represent it accurately.

The question was about his theatre and his strategy. He should have answered it as appropriate.

No, I think it is oversimplification to assume otherwise. I think you misrepresent that somebody might look at it from a larger perspective.

Damo, you're a smart guy - Warner knew what he was saying; so did Patreus & everyone else who was watching.

Irregardless of what happens with our borders, ports, et al. - our specific strategy in Iraq, which is what he referenced, is either going to make us LESS or MORE safe.

He's not asking the general about all other aspects of our security. To try to portray it that way is kind of hopeless....

So, the question wasn't even as represented on the site? Geez. I hate this type of disingenuous crap.

Sometimes I don't have time to look at and read a story, I take people at their word that they represent it accurately.

The question was about his theatre and his strategy. He should have answered it as appropriate.

Damo, I don't know who started the idea that Patreus was asked about the entire strategy about the Global War on Terror. US National Security, on a global level. Maybe Cawacko?

I said on the very first post, that the question was specifically about Patreus' Iraq strategy.

Damo, you're a smart guy - Warner knew what he was saying; so did Patreus & everyone else who was watching.

Irregardless of what happens with our borders, ports, et al. - our specific strategy in Iraq, which is what he referenced, is either going to make us LESS or MORE safe.

He's not asking the general about all other aspects of our security. To try to portray it that way is kind of hopeless....
No, I was assuming that Cypress was genuine in his original post, that it was the actual question that was proposed in those quotes of his.

I made the mistake again of trusting the original poster as representing the question properly.

Warner's question was in the context of the theatre, of his job. Patraeus should have been better prepared to answer such a question.

Damo, I don't know who started the idea that Patreus was asked about the entire strategy about the Global War on Terror. US National Security, on a global level. Maybe Cawacko?

I said on the very first post, that the question was specifically about Patreus' Iraq strategy.

Yes it was Cawacko.

He misread or misunderstood your initial post.

That's really misrepresenting the context of the question, in a BIG way...

I disagree. Because even if he accomplishes every goal that is set forth with regards to Iraq, he doesn't know if America will be safer as a result. He could make some vague generalizations about America being safer from Iraq, but not on the whole. These idiot politicians want to be able to pin any future problems on the first moron that actually trys to give them an answer to that question.

It does not matter if it is a Rep or a Dem asking the question. Patreus was smart to answer it as he did.

No, I was assuming that Cypress was genuine in his original post, that it was the actual question that was proposed in those quotes of his.

I made the mistake again of trusting the original poster as representing the question properly.

Warner's question was in the context of the theatre, of his job. Patraeus should have been better prepared to answer such a question.

LOL

Go get mad at cawacko, if you thought the question was about GLOBAL national security and the GLOBAL war on terror.

I never said that. I said specifically it was about Patreus's Iraq strategy.

:readit: :cool:

We went by the quotes. In the quotes the ONLY question you put was "would the US be safer?"

Cutting off the question gave us a different perspective on the question.

When provided with the full text of the actual question rather than some spin, that didn't even bother to mention that he rethought and answered the question in the affirmative, that suggested something different I posted a different answer.

Back