The President

Extremely well spoken by the President. Great post.

"It could have been me" was the perspective of every red blooded American that took the time to put themselves in Trayvons perspective.

"Why did Zimmerman exit the car and follow" was the perspective every red blooded American questioned about Zimmerman.

Trayvon had Liberties.
So did Zimmerman.

And if either of them had been smart enough to walk away, one of them would still be around to exercise said liberties. Sorry guys but this seems to be the result, not of racism, but of male posturing and the social stigma against walking away from a fight.

One did walk away

he even ran away

he commited the grave crime of standing in front lf the condo he was staying in and talking on the phone.

Zimmy thought that meant he needed to die

President Obama: ...and that all contributes, I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might’ve been different.

I guess I don't understand how that's not a racist thing to say. Is Obama implying the Zimmerman jury are racists? I believe he is. If you disagree, please explain why you think so and what a correct interpretation of the statement should entail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford,_Florida#Jackie_Robinson_in_1946

Jackie Robinson in 1946

On October 23, 1945, the Brooklyn Dodgers announced that they had signed Jackie Robinson, assigning him to their International League team, the Montreal Royals.

Branch Rickey, the Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager, believing he "knew" Florida, thought his team could train there, ruffling as few feathers as possible. Robinson and his wife were instructed by Rickey not to try to stay at any Sanford hotels. He and his wife didn’t eat out at any restaurants not deemed “Negro restaurants." He didn't even dress in the same locker room as his teammates.

As soon as the citizenry became aware of Robinson's presence, the mayor of Sanford was confronted by a "large group of white residents" who "demanded that Robinson...be run out of town."[10]

On March 5, 1946, the Royals were informed that they would not be permitted to take the field as an integrated group. Rickey was concerned for Robinson’s life and sent him to stay in Daytona Beach. His daughter, Sharon Robinson, remembered being told, "The Robinsons were run out of Sanford, Florida, with threats of violence."

In his 1993 book, A Hard Road to Glory: A History Of The African American Athlete: Baseball, tennis great Arthur Ashe wrote in response, Rickey "moved the entire Dodger pre-season camp from Sanford, Florida, to Daytona Beach due to the oppressive conditions of Sanford."

Also, I got a chuckle out of Obama using made-up words

It's "disproportionately" not "disproportionally".

When Bush made up words, people laughed. They're afraid to be called a racist for laughing at Obama

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...-novelist-zora-neale-hurston-museum-documents

New Goldsboro history museum preserves town's forgotten lore

Community was state's 2nd black town until Sanford took it over

November 12, 2011|By Eloísa Ruano González, Orlando Sentinel

Goldsboro, once a flourishing center of black life west of Sanford, may have disappeared as a town, but its heritage is on display in a new museum.

Founded in 1891 by laborers who worked on the railroad and the St. Johns River docks, Goldsboro was the second town in Florida incorporated by blacks, after Eatonville. But in 1911, Sanford — then among the largest vegetable-shipping hubs in the nation — stripped Goldsboro of its charter and swallowed it up.

Jackie and his wife were from Pasadena California they had never seen a coloreds only sign until Branch Ricky sent them to Sanford.

the south was and is racist

Jackie and his wife were from Pasadena California they had never seen a coloreds only sign until Branch Ricky sent them to Sanford.

the south was and is racist

Many other parts of the country are and were racist as well. Jim Crow may not have been laws in other parts of the country but it was essentially practiced.

Back