The President

Well, I'm guessing that he thought he had to address it somehow and I thought he said quite a few of the right things without taking it too far. I mean, he could have come out like some and took a confrontational stance, and maybe he would have like to have done it, but he did well by saying just enough and making some good points and suggestions.

thanks for your comments, leaningright. And I do think Pres. Obama works hard not to be confrontational. I appreciate your perspective. And Thing1, thanks for your comments; I do think it was good he did this, but understand why others might think he shouldn't have said anymore.

I suppose that's true, if "good stock" means you enjoy cow-tipping & losing national championships.

tumblr_m84xc0Wlob1rqem0io1_400.gif

don't talk about it unless you can prove what I said.

that is how it works.

PROVE the post you claim exists exists

Precisely.

I can't tell you the ration of shit I would get from several conservatives here if I tried to present facts I couldn't back up with the actual quote and only "seemed to recall" from a while back.

Here's the thing.

Racism in America is our elephant in the room. It's still there. It may not be as rampant or obvious as it used to be in the mid-twentieth century and earlier, but it's still there.

As the president said, every single young black male walking along the street is Trayvon Martin.

We need to remember that.

Good Lord. How many times have I said this on this forum?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/whit...martin-could-ve-been-me-35-years-ago-20130719

President Obama made a surprise visit to the White House press room on Friday to speak about the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin case, making some of the boldest and most open remarks about race of his presidency. You can read the full remarks here.

While the president began by commending the judge in the case as "professional" and the jurors as "properly instructed," he also spoke of the case within the much broader context of race in America.
When Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said, This could've been my son. Another way of saying that is, Trayvon Martin could've been me 35 years ago. And when you think about why, in the African-American community, at least, there's a lot of pain around what happened here, I think it's important to recognize that the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn't go away.

That history, Obama said, is especially salient to black men. "There are very few African-American men in this country who haven't had the experience of being followed when they were shopping in a department store—that includes me," he said. The same goes for African-American men who have heard "locks click on the doors of cars," or seen a woman in an elevator "clutching her purse nervously and holding her breath until she had a chance to get off."
A 2008 Wall Street Journal story, flagged Friday by the reporter Katie Rosman, actually attests to Obama's experience with this type of stereotyping. As Rosman reported, then-state Sen. Barack Obama was mistaken for a waiter at a New York party in 2003.

And those experiences of daily life are a reflection of what the president acknowledged as "a history of racial disparities in the application of our criminal laws—from the death penalty to drug laws. He continued (with our emphasis):

Folks understand the challenges that exist for African-American boys. But they get frustrated, I think, if they feel that there's no context for it and that context is being denied. And that all contributes, I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different.
The president's comments also looked at the real problems of "poverty and dysfunction" in African-American communities, saying they can "be traced to a very difficult history." As he said, young African-American men are disproportionately "both the victims and perpetrators of violence," and Trayvon was "statistically more likely to be shot by a peer than he was by somebody else." But that's no excuse for unequal treatment.

The fact that a lot of African-American boys are painted with a broad brush and the excuses given—"Well, there are these statistics out there that show that African-American boys are more violent," using that as an excuse to then see sons treated different causes pain.

To combat these broad social issues, Obama offered three broad suggestions:

1. Get the Justice Department involved with training local governments to reduce mistrust in the legal system. (It's worth remembering that this episode began with an outcry that Zimmerman wasn't arrested at all after the incident.)

2. Examine local laws—such as "Stand Your Ground"—and see if they "may encourage the kinds of altercations and confrontations and tragedies that we saw in the Florida case rather than diffuse potential altercations."

3. Think about ways to bolster and support African-American boys so they do not get caught up in the legal system (as the statistics indicate they are more likely to be).
Even despite the discriminatory experiences Obama described, African-Americans perceive less discrimination in some areas today than they did 10 and 20 years ago, according to the results of a new Gallup survey. A shrinking share of blacks blame discrimination for black-white disparities in jobs, income, and housing.

In 1993, for example, 44 percent of blacks said discrimination was mostly to blame for those disparities, while 37 percent say so today. Non-Hispanic whites exhibited a similar shift: 15 percent say discrimination is mostly to blame for the disparities, down from 21 percent two decades ago. Overall, one in five adults today say the disparities are mostly due to discrimination. Older blacks tend to perceive more discrimination than younger blacks, with 47 percent of those 55 and older saying discrimination is mostly to blame for the disparities, compared with 30 percent of those aged 18 to 34.

Precisely.

I can't tell you the ration of shit I would get from several conservatives here if I tried to present facts I couldn't back up with the actual quote and only "seemed to recall" from a while back.

fwiw Zap, I vividly remember the quote. There is no "seem to recall" about it.

I saw Fiona Apple in NYC once, and her sound kept messing up & she was worried that she'd get bad reviews, so she told all the press people in the 1st few rows "Don't you fucking fuck me you fucking motherfuckers."

I always loved that.

Here's the thing.

Racism in America is our elephant in the room. It's still there. It may not be as rampant or obvious as it used to be in the mid-twentieth century and earlier, but it's still there.

As the president said, every single young black male walking along the street is Trayvon Martin.

We need to remember that.

I'm sorry, and I know I shouldn't say anything, because I've had a couple. But how many incidents are there like this, really? People act like it's open season on young black men now, and that African American families have to live in terror, because they don't know if their children will make it home.

Make no mistake: what happened is a terrible tragedy, and GZ is an idiot. There will always be idiots, and unfortunately, there will always be terrible tragedies. A lot more people get killed by drunk drivers, or people texting, or whatever else, than by idiots who follow people with guns. That doesn't mean I'm living in terror when my kids go out on the road; it's just a fact of life that there are dangers out there.

Racism itself, and whatever motivated GZ, isn't going to disappear overnight, or because we engage in a hand-wringing national dialogue. We've made enormous progress over the years. We'll keep making progress. It's more about education than anything else, but let's not blow up what happened here like it's some kind of daily event.

I'm sorry, and I know I shouldn't say anything, because I've had a couple. But how many incidents are there like this, really? People act like it's open season on young black men now, and that African American families have to live in terror, because they don't know if their children will make it home.

Make no mistake: what happened is a terrible tragedy, and GZ is an idiot. There will always be idiots, and unfortunately, there will always be terrible tragedies. A lot more people get killed by drunk drivers, or people texting, or whatever else, than by idiots who follow people with guns. That doesn't mean I'm living in terror when my kids go out on the road; it's just a fact of life that there are dangers out there.

Racism itself, and whatever motivated GZ, isn't going to disappear overnight, or because we engage in a hand-wringing national dialogue. We've made enormous progress over the years. We'll keep making progress. It's more about education than anything else, but let's not blow up what happened here like it's some kind of daily event.

Congrats on starting happy hour so early.

Drinking and posting on JPP go hand in hand. It's highly encouraged.

As stated this incident was a tragedy that never should have occurred. Yet I don't see this either as leading to this rash of white people shooting black people cold blooded in the streets. If that happens then I will sadly admit I was gravely wrong but I just don't see it.

As stated this incident was a tragedy that never should have occurred. Yet I don't see this either as leading to this rash of white people shooting black people cold blooded in the streets. If that happens then I will sadly admit I was gravely wrong but I just don't see it.

Agreed, and it's your damned fault on the drinking. You posted those pictures of people toasting, and it was like a Pavlovian response in me. I was like, "hey...I enjoy that feeling." And now I'm almost drunk.

Agreed, and it's your damned fault on the drinking. You posted those pictures of people toasting, and it was like a Pavlovian response in me. I was like, "hey...I enjoy that feeling." And now I'm almost drunk.

Anytime I can help encourage a fellow human being to drink I feel like I have done my duty. I hope you keep going just don't curse my name in the morning if you are hung over!

It isn't just about white people shooting black people, you have missed the point and it really surprises me coming from you. Maybe you need a drink to help you see that.

It isn't just about white people shooting black people, you have missed the point and it really surprises me coming from you. Maybe you need a drink to help you see that.

I know you're not reading my posts, but if you catch this one, what is the point? Why is this anything other than an idiot cop wanna-be being way to overzealous, resulting in a terrible tragedy?

There are terrible tragedies every damned day. I'm a parent & my heart couldn't go out any more to the Martin family. But my heart also goes out equally to the parents who lost their kid in a drunk driving accident last week.

A great speech and I agree with President Obama, but if there are riots this weekend, then all bets are off. The facts are that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman, anyway "you want to go", no pun intended. I do agree that Zimmerman acted like a dumb sheet, and should have quit playing "Judge/Cop", but we see that all the time on here, and no one is "convicted". I am referring to Howey's big mouth about me and President Obama, of course I put him "in his place" with that one, again no pun intended. Sheet just happens, but Trayvon, that unfortunate night, was a thug wantabe in my opinion, trying to act tough/showoff for "phonemate" Rachel Jentile and his actions proved it. She might have instigated the attack by jokingly calling Zimmerman a rapist and challenging Trayvon's manhood to do something about it, and Trayvon unfortunately did.

Back