Today’s Teabagger News: Only 41% of Texans know humans did not live with dinosaurs

Well now it sounds like you are trying to do a little tap dance around your rationality.

The only thing that is hopeless is the idea that you might understand the discussion. I am not tap dancing at all.

I never said anything about hiding in caves for 60 million years, I don't know where you got that.

You said we may not have discovered the bones because they were hiding from dinosaurs in caves. That would have to be true for the entire gap.

My only point of contention in this entire debate, is the original assertions that something is a FACT which is not a proven (or provable) FACT! We can all have our opinions on the matter, as you say, short of omnipotence, we will never know the answers for certain, but we must not allow people to proclaim things as FACT when that is NOT the case.

No one did.

All opinions are not equal. The conclusion that man and dinos coexisted is stupid in light of the information available. Sci-fi is not science.

Sometimes I am glad I'm not a Christian... I don't have to twist things so that what we don't have evidence of trumps what evidence we have. Some day we may indeed stumble upon some leftover dinosaur bones alongside some early ancestor of ours, but until then evidence points to the demise of that type of animal long before we ever came onto the scene. Shoot long before any primate came along.

It's possible one or two types of dinosaurs, like the sharks or alligators (not dinosaurs people, but they were alive then), might have survived longer than we know of... But it is more likely they evolved into the birds we see daily, oddly enough.

I'm pretty sure that alligators aren't descended from dinosaurs.

Also, anything aquatic wasn't technically a "dinosaur".

The only thing we pretty much know is descended from dinosaurs are birds. Strangely, they aren't descended from pterodactyls, but velociraptors (velociraptors actually were covered in feathers).

I really proved my point there, didn't I, though? Although they were part of the same group, I don't think crocodiles and gators were ever descended from the dinosaur order. Birds came directly from the dinosaur order.

I really proved my point there, didn't I, though? Although they were part of the same group, I don't think crocodiles and gators were ever descended from the dinosaur order. Birds came directly from the dinosaur order.

all theory watermark....

according to science estimates and theories,....animals that roamed when dinosaurs roamed are still among us....

all theory watermark....

according to science estimates and theories,....animals that roamed when dinosaurs roamed are still among us....

Descendants of animals that roamed when the dinosaurs roamed are still among us. Actual descendants of dinosaurs are still among us. What's your point?

The only thing that is hopeless is the idea that you might understand the discussion. I am not tap dancing at all.

Tap dancers rarely admit that is what they are doing, and it certainly seemed like you were backing off your original argument, which I thought was as close to accurate as anyone on your side has come in this discussion. I fully understand the discussion... we are talking about whether it is a FACT that humans didn't roam the earth at the time of the dinosaurs, or whether it is simply what we think to be the case at this time. These are two completely different viewpoints, one is based in science and logic, and one is based on sheer "faith" in science and a presumption science is infallible.

You said we may not have discovered the bones because they were hiding from dinosaurs in caves. That would have to be true for the entire gap.

Not what I said... listen carefully... it is POSSIBLE that any number of scenarios could explain why we have never discovered human artifacts in proximity of dinosaurs. We know our early ancestors lived in caves, and if their ancestors were here before, they probably didn't venture out of the cave very much, because dinosaurs would have been a major predator. Therefore, it is POSSIBLE that any humans who may have been here at the time, were relegated to caves, and perhaps we simply haven't found those fossil layers yet? I went out of my way to indicate this was not something I was claiming DID happen, just a plausible explanation (of many) for why we wouldn't find evidence of man alongside dinosaurs. Another factor could have been a relatively small number of humans, which would not have provided many instances of fossil remains for us to discover millions of years later. These are not things I am claiming as theory or fact, just suggestions for how it is plausible and certainly not impossible.

No one did.

Uhm.,.. YES they did! Prissy's initial post is basically a ridiculing of people who dared to say they weren't sure about this! The ONLY "intelligent" viewpoint is the acceptance of the "fact" that man did not exist at the time of the dinosaurs.

All opinions are not equal. The conclusion that man and dinos coexisted is stupid in light of the information available. Sci-fi is not science.

Any "conclusion" is stupid... EITHER WAY! It's NOT science fiction to admit that we don't KNOW anything for certain! The earth is over 4.5 billion years old! We know it has been completely destroyed several times, we see the evidence of this. 4.5 billion years is a LONG time... anything is possible! There could have been thriving metropolises all over the planet BEFORE the dinosaurs! We DON'T KNOW! Cataclysmic events happen and bury history under millions of tons of rock and debris, and it may never be discovered again by man because we simply don't know it's there!

We have the information we have, and that is all. While it may lead some people to believe they have it all figured out, it is still an incomplete picture. I am willing to remain open minded about the possibilities, and not draw conclusions. Does that make me a "dumb" person, or does that make me open minded and objective?

DIXIE: it is POSSIBLE that any number of scenarios could explain why we have never discovered human artifacts in proximity of dinosaurs. We know our early ancestors lived in caves, and if their ancestors were here before, they probably didn't venture out of the cave very much, because dinosaurs would have been a major predator.

Therefore, it is POSSIBLE that any humans who may have been here at the time, were relegated to caves, and perhaps we simply haven't found those fossil layers yet?

Priceless! This is nearly on a par with 1/3.

Yes Dixie, it's possible that Jimmy Hoffa was kidnapped by green men in UFOs, but since his body has never been found, we can't rule that possibility out.

Climate Science Deniers, and Iraq War Supporters Weigh in on the Texas Tribune Poll:

PostModernProphet: Personally I believe that humans and dinosaurs coexisted.

Priceless! This is nearly on a par with 1/3.

One is still not divisible by three without producing a remainder, and this will be the case 500 years from now when pinheads are still trying to contradict it. Sorry you're so fucking stupid.

Yes Dixie, it's possible that Jimmy Hoffa was kidnapped by green men in UFOs, but since his body has never been found, we can't rule that possibility out.

No, that's pretty much NOT possible.

Climate Science Deniers, and Iraq War Supporters Weigh in on the Texas Tribune Poll:

The only deniers of science in the climate change debate, are those who cling to the notion of man-made global warming. What this all has to do with Iraq, I have no idea! Can you explain it to me please? Is is because you are still bitter about Iraq, and you plan to be intolerant and unreasonable to people for the rest of your life because of it? And isn't Obama an Iraq War Supporter, since he has sent 20k more soldiers there since he took office?

You should just go crawl in a hole and die now... you've been thoroughly PWNED!

Tap dancers rarely admit that is what they are doing, and it certainly seemed like you were backing off your original argument, which I thought was as close to accurate as anyone on your side has come in this discussion. I fully understand the discussion... we are talking about whether it is a FACT that humans didn't roam the earth at the time of the dinosaurs, or whether it is simply what we think to be the case at this time. These are two completely different viewpoints, one is based in science and logic, and one is based on sheer "faith" in science and a presumption science is infallible.

No one argued that it was proven beyond any possibility of doubt. That's a ridiculous standard.

There is absolutely no logic or science that supports the idea that dinos and man coexisted.

Not what I said... listen carefully... it is POSSIBLE that any number of scenarios could explain why we have never discovered human artifacts in proximity of dinosaurs. We know our early ancestors lived in caves, and if their ancestors were here before, they probably didn't venture out of the cave very much, because dinosaurs would have been a major predator. Therefore, it is POSSIBLE that any humans who may have been here at the time, were relegated to caves, and perhaps we simply haven't found those fossil layers yet? I went out of my way to indicate this was not something I was claiming DID happen, just a plausible explanation (of many) for why we wouldn't find evidence of man alongside dinosaurs. Another factor could have been a relatively small number of humans, which would not have provided many instances of fossil remains for us to discover millions of years later. These are not things I am claiming as theory or fact, just suggestions for how it is plausible and certainly not impossible.

And you show that it is exactly what I said it is. The gap is 64 million years. Even if your nonsense about hiding in caves was plausible, that explains at best, a million years of the gap.

Your argument is implausible.

We have the information we have, and that is all. While it may lead some people to believe they have it all figured out, it is still an incomplete picture. I am willing to remain open minded about the possibilities, and not draw conclusions. Does that make me a "dumb" person, or does that make me open minded and objective?

It makes you a fucking idiot. As I stated before, you support execution based on far less. We make decisions all the time with less information.

You are not open minded. You are once again trying to attack science and place it on the level of fairy tales.

No one argued that it was proven beyond any possibility of doubt. That's a ridiculous standard.

The whole point and emphasis of this thread was to ridicule and mock "teabaggers" who didn't feel compelled to agree this was a proven fact. I agree it is a ridiculous standard, and the 41% who "know humans did not live with dinosaurs" have applied that standard.

There is absolutely no logic or science that supports the idea that dinos and man coexisted.

There is absolutely no logic or science that supports the Big Bang Theory, Dark Energy or Black Holes.... and we can now add Man-made Global Warming to the list. Do you have a point to make?

And you show that it is exactly what I said it is. The gap is 64 million years. Even if your nonsense about hiding in caves was plausible, that explains at best, a million years of the gap.

Your argument is implausible.

It's not an argument, that would involve presenting evidence to support the argument. I simply gave an off-the-cuff example of a possibility, one of millions of possibilities. I wasn't "arguing" that this happened, I don't have any evidence to support the idea, and I agree, that is probably not likely to have happened. Still, it IS possible that humans inhabited the earth at the time of the dinosaur. It's possible for the simple reason that it's not IMPOSSIBLE!

64 million years is a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to 4.5 billion years. Lots of things could have transpired before, during, and after the fossil discoveries show dinosaurs or man on earth. And fossil layers are not the definitive 'end-all-be-all' history of earth, just over 100 years ago, the oldest fossil remains of humans was somewhere around 20k years old.... well, conventional wisdom was, man came on the scene about 20k years ago, because that is what the fossil record showed, but what happened? We discovered fossils 30k years old! Then we discovered more fossils later, which were 40k years old... then 50k... then 60k... now we are up close to 100k years old... so what does this tell us? It tells us we don't KNOW any fucking thing! We can assume, we can presume, we can speculate, we can pontificate, but by god, we just fucking can't KNOW for certain! Perhaps there are fossils out there 200k years old? Perhaps there are even fossils a million years old or more, and we simply have not discovered them yet! Is this sinking in yet?

It makes you a fucking idiot. As I stated before, you support execution based on far less. We make decisions all the time with less information.

No we don't! When someone is executed, they have had a trial, where evidence is presented and lawyers presented a case, and a jury weighed the evidence and found someone guilty, then they have been given a series of appeals. Most of the time, the evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable.

You are not open minded. You are once again trying to attack science and place it on the level of fairy tales.

No I am not. YOU are trying (again) to spin your rational view, which was correct at one point, into something bizarrely opposite and along the lines of what Prissy posted. You keep dancing around, claiming that we don't know for certain and can't prove it ---BUT--- if you don't believe it as irrefutable fact, you are a fairy tale believer! Make up your mind, either it IS or ISN'T a fact... either another possibility exists, or it doesn't! You can't argue that another possibility might exist, but if you believe it may, you are an idiot!

The only thing we pretty much know is descended from dinosaurs are birds. Strangely, they aren't descended from pterodactyls, but velociraptors (velociraptors actually were covered in feathers).

Raptor means "bird of prey." Thank you Michael Crichton!

Yes Dixie, it's possible that Jimmy Hoffa was kidnapped by green men in UFOs, but since his body has never been found, we can't rule that possibility out

No, that's pretty much NOT possible.

Sure it is. It is not at all plausible, just like your hiding in caves for 60 million years.

In fact I think you should incorporate this into your theory. Maybe after the aliens picked up Hoffa they went back in time and dropped Hoffa off in the age of dinosaurs. There he hid in a caves and was buried in an earthquake. Until we turn over every layer of earth we can't assume we will not find him and others like him (E.g., Elvis, Amelia Earhart, some of the Romanovs, lost socks, etc.).

There is absolutely no logic or science that supports the Big Bang Theory, Dark Energy or Black Holes.... and we can now add Man-made Global Warming to the list. Do you have a point to make?

Yes, there is.

It's not an argument, that would involve presenting evidence to support the argument. I simply gave an off-the-cuff example of a possibility, one of millions of possibilities. I wasn't "arguing" that this happened, I don't have any evidence to support the idea, and I agree, that is probably not likely to have happened. Still, it IS possible that humans inhabited the earth at the time of the dinosaur. It's possible for the simple reason that it's not IMPOSSIBLE!

You simply pulled something out of your ass that is completely implausible. No one needs you to prove that it's possible. Everyone knows and accepts that. But to accept absurd scenarios without any evidence to support them is stupid.

No we don't! When someone is executed, they have had a trial, where evidence is presented and lawyers presented a case, and a jury weighed the evidence and found someone guilty, then they have been given a series of appeals. Most of the time, the evidence is overwhelming and irrefutable.

It is never irrefutable. Our standard is reasonable doubt. Not any possible doubt dreamed up by some lunatic. But REASONABLE doubt. That is the burden because beyond any doubt whatsoever would result in 0 convictions and make trials pointless. You would have us kill people on this standard, yet you take offense at ridiculing someone who believes some crackpot theory.

And yes, we make decisions and draw conclusions every day based on less. You are arguing that since our knowledge is fallible we can not make decisions or draw conclusions based upon it. But living that way would put one in a state of paralysis. It makes faith and knowledge equivalent, which is the point of your ignorant rants against science.

That would be why I said they were not dinosaurs. I simply pointed out that alligators and sharks shared the earth with dinosaurs and still live today.

Yep.... the sperm and egg are single-cell living organisms. We humans don't have a problem with termination of the life of a single-cell organism, there are probably millions of them on the sock at the bottom of your clothes hamper! Women have a menstrual period monthly, where they discharge a living organism and flush it down the toilet. We also don't have a problem with terminating the life of multi-cell organisms like chickens and tomatoes, or eradicating living cell growths like tumors, warts, fingernails, etc. These are all acceptable to mankind, and no one is proposing we ban any of these things. This particular argument is only applicable to HUMAN LIFE. That is where we have a fundamental problem with termination of life, and all other examples are irrelevant. We have this viewpoint regarding HUMAN LIFE because we have what is called "sanctity" for HUMAN LIFE. This "sanctity" thingy doesn't apply to chickens, eggs and tomatoes, or even sperm and eggs.... only to HUMAN LIFE.

The point at which HUMAN LIFE starts, is not debatable, it is not subjective, and we know exactly the moment at which it occurs. You want to pull every trick out of the hat to deny the scientific fact of the matter, because it doesn't conform to your political viewpoint. That is how devoid you are of ethics and morality. You want to try and establish irrelevant analogies, because you are dishonest as well. You are just a pathetic dishonest liberal nitwit, who hasn't got a point to make because you lack the intelligence to make a point. But you did give it the Ol' Pinhead Try!

You want to talk about the "sanctity" of human life? Over 50% of fertilized eggs spontaneously abort. You want to talk about morals and ethics? By what twisted logic can anyone claim fertilized cells deserve the sanctity given to human beings when over 50% naturally abort?

Obviously you don't put too much value on the life of a human being when you so frivolously compare human beings to organisms that come into existence and die within days or hours. Can we possibly further cheapen what it means to be a human being?

Of course, it does follow the general mind set of those who believe that way as they tend to be the ones who have no problem sending young men and women to war to be slaughtered. And then there's the innocents who die who are considered collateral damage.

My God, the hypocrisy. The concern over fertilized cells is nothing more than people wanting to stick their noses in the pants of women. Do us all a favor. Find a co-operative woman and get over your aversion/perversion with sex and leave the other women alone.

c17306a724eee6d713da1d7589d4fbf7.jpg

seerox174.jpg

Does this mean the Horsemen of the Apocalypse are really the Dinosaur Jockeys of the Apocalypse? :eek:

Now you're just being stupid.
Even farmers that sell their eggs, candle them; otherwise they would lose their customers.

I never did. :) And neither did the local farmers when selling to neighbors/friends. Of course the eggs had not been sitting around for weeks before sold. They were usually sold within a day or two.

Back