Travel experiences

I do, but clearly not everyone on this thread does.

Goon-o gets a pass and even gets defended -- while all his/her/it's racist, hate rants are conveniently ignored.

Agreed?

Good. Agreed.

Why does Guno get a pass and other racists don't?

No, I don't see Guno getting anything more than anyone else has....except being dogpiled. I see that a lot.

OTOH, you threw your weight behind Jack, one of the most misogynistic anti-Christian posters on JPP. Are you also a misogynistic Christ-hater, LIG?

So this is how it went the last few years before Amtrak....My mom would stay home with my sickly brother and She demanded that if my dad was going to take a trip then he had to take Andrew and me. She said she wanted a break. Since my dad was trying to ride as many different trains as he could before he did he said sure. My dad got a bedroom on all trains and off we went. He would eat meals with us in the dinner and otherwise spend some time with us but especially after dinner we were on our own. We could travel the length of the train at will but there was one rule....dont get off.....not even one step. We did a huge western trip when I was 8 and he was four. I took care of him.

My dad would show up drunk sometime after midnight.

We did OK, it was fun.

So this is how it went the last few years before Amtrak....My mom would stay home with my sickly brother and She demanded that if my dad was going to take a trip then he had to take Andrew and me. She said she wanted a break. Since my dad was trying to ride as many different trains as he could before he did he said sure. My dad got a bedroom on all trains and off we went. He would eat meals with us in the dinner and otherwise spend some time with us but especially after dinner we were on our own. We could travel the length of the train at will but there was one rule....dont get off.....not even one step. We did a huge western trip when I was 8 and he was four. I took care of him.

My dad would show up drunk sometime after midnight.

We did OK, it was fun.

Which Trip had the best scenic views? I hear Western routes are more scenic and panoramic than Eastern routes.

Which Trip had the best scenic views? I hear Western routes are more scenic and panoramic than Eastern routes.

Interesting fact: Dome cars which were ideal for watching America go by (the Super Chief long had a dome dinner!) were only run in the West, the Eastern lines did not have the clearances for them.

THat said for many years Amtrak ran their last dome car in Vermont during fall color time.

Interesting fact: Dome cars which were ideal for watching America go by (the Super Chief long had a dome dinner!) were only run in the West, the Eastern lines did not have the clearances for them.

THat said for many years Amtrak ran their last dome car in Vermont during fall color time.

"These Are the 14 Most Scenic Train Rides in the U.S."
https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/g25736964/scenic-train-rides-routes/

I have a friend who keeps talking about a train trip somewhere up North (maybe Canada) that goes through 5 tunnels. That's what he is going to do when he retires.

Guno grew up in a ethnic neighborhood where he went to a 'Hebrew-Only' school.
As a young teenager, he was forced to go to the 'Two Minutes of Hate' seminars.
Later, after graduation, he moved to North Carolina*and formed his own 'Two Minutes of Hate' seminar.
He travelled to Israel once. Found out they ate pork there, and realized these people were a bunch of Devil Worshippers ... and fled, never to return.
Ne now spends most of his time here ... Hating.

He's very good at it as well.

We loved Vermont. We drove around letting my wife get pictures of the covered bridges, visited some maple syrup making places (had some shipped home), also swung by Ben and Jerry’s, spent the night in Burlington. It was all great.

Cool! The VT girls keep telling us we should move there too. It's pretty and very New England-picturesque. But also very, very expensive.

You mentioned the sequoias in another post. I've only seen them once (at Sequoia Natl Park). There is something so magical about them, isn't there?

Hopefully you will be the board police when Goon-o derails someone's thread with his racist, venomous hate-filled rants and comments as he/she/it frequently does.

But I won't hold my breath.

Guano is a truly hate filled racist yet the Left on here either ignore him or defend his behaviour, however if anybody criticises BLM they go apeshit.

Last edited:
The quality of this thread could be better.

It was pretty good until the trolls showed up to derail it with their obsessions over Guno and myself.

Your train trip sounds like a great experience, esp. for someone as young as you were at the time. Would you do it again as an adult?

Oh wow! Was it one of those events where ppl dressed in period clothing, served traditional food with traditional music and all?

Yes, amazing traditional costumes, folk crafts, traditional folk music, chess tournament, folk dances. The challenge for me was, as the token American, everyone wanted to to a shot of vodka with me, and I am a lightweight!

Simply traveling to Canada you see how things could be different. Canada Day was serene by American standards of the 4th. The driving is also different with KM an hour. I loved this brewpub we went to in Regina, SK, and have been Facebook posting all the wonderful food since. The Granville Market in Vancouver is lovely. I missed out on getting some of the renowned Asian food in Vancouver though because we didn't stay.

The vibe I get in Canada is that you are living on the edge of civilization; the wilderness is a metaphorical stone throw away. Almost everyone in Canada lives within a 100 miles of the border, and if you just drive north for an hour you are essentially in the aboreal wilderness as far as the eye can see.

Guano is a truly hate filled racist yet the Left on here ignore him or defend his behaviour, yet if anybody criticises BLN they go apeshit.

And you're some old washerwoman who has nothing to add to this place but your petty gossip, hate, and bitterness. Scoot along now, Tom, you're late for your "session" at the men's bathhouse down the dirt road. :laugh:

Yes, amazing traditional costumes, folk crafts, traditional folk music, chess tournament, folk dances. The challenge for me was, as the token American, everyone wanted to to a shot of vodka with me, and I am a lightweight!

Oh dear. How did that go?

The vibe I get in Canada is that you are living on the edge of civilization; the wilderness is a metaphorical stone throw away. Almost everyone in Canada lives within a 100 miles of the border, and if you just drive north for an hour you are essentially in the aboreal wilderness as far as the eye can see.

Sounds like Alaska!

Back