Travel experiences

Oh please. It's just not the words alone, it's the racist screeds, regional bigotry and just nastiness in general.

I sit back and read it and say little to nothing. He/she/it is NO different than Volsrock. I don't even bother with those people but I don't make "small talk" with them either because frankly, I want nothing to do with them.

I'm sorry you cannot say the same. Integrity means a lot to me.

I shouldn't reply to this since I see you're thread-banned but I will anyways. Feel free to start a thread rebuking me if you like.

The old saying "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" could also be rewritten as "Hell hath no fury like a racist who's butthurt about being called a racist." That would be you, of course. I've seen your vile posts about the Obamas and other black politicians. If integrity means a lot to you, you'd clean up your own backyard before pointing out the dog shit in someone else's.

People who travel are exposed to different cultures and experiences especially traveling outside of the U.S.

Post your travel and experiences and how it changed your outlook

Being retired military I spent 10 years in Europe. For the most part the Europeans I met were more or less like us. Oh, some customs are different but understandable and easy to live with. The main thing I found funny was when smoking was allowed on aircraft Air Italia's smoking section was the left side of the aircraft front to rear unlike our rule of the very rear seats.

It was incredible to feel that 700 years of history is somehow still alive within you, and to feel that visceral kinship connection with people from across Europe, North America, and Australia..

I understand that historically it was a sizeable town of a several thousand, but it never recovered from the Nazi occupation, and only a few hundred live there today.

You probably don't want to say its name publicly for reason but if you would PM it to me I'd like to look it up, if that's okay.

Being retired military I spent 10 years in Europe. For the most part the Europeans I met were more or less like us. Oh, some customs are different but understandable and easy to live with. The main thing I found funny was when smoking was allowed on aircraft Air Italia's smoking section was the left side of the aircraft front to rear unlike our rule of the very rear seats.

Did you ever see if the Europeans had any odd stereotypes about Americans?

Mexico, and Belize, children selling items to make money for the family. I wanted to buy it all from them, at the same time we were told not to buy from them because the parents were exploiting them. I was truly torn, I did buy Jack Bread and bracelets from them in Belize. They sold their goods after school to people on the beach. I’m a sucker for children.

I bet Belize was beautiful.
I hate to cave in to cynicism, and probably would have been tempted myself to buy stuff from kids.

I bet Belize was beautiful.
I hate to cave in to cynicism, and probably would have been tempted myself to buy stuff from kids.
I have a very big weak spot for children. Belize is beautiful, the diving is the main draw, but there is a lot of poverty. San Pedro, they really rely on the tourists.

No, you began it with Jack.

Link? Jack, like goat burning your thread, asked for it as does anyone who brazenly violates the rules and then dares management to do something about it.

IMO, they are mentally handicapped which is a common explanation of their behavior.

I have a very big weak spot for children. Belize is beautiful, the diving is the main draw, but there is a lot of poverty. San Pedro, they really rely on the tourists.

There was a woman in my nursing class from Belize. She wanted to become a nurse because it was a way to make good money in the U.S., so she could help her family there, and because she was a lovely, caring person. She made it!

Did you go diving yourself?

There was a woman in my nursing class from Belize. She wanted to become a nurse because it was a way to make good money in the U.S., so she could help her family there, and because she was a lovely, caring person. She made it!

Did you go diving yourself?
No, I swam with the sharks, but no diving. It is the main draw to the island.

Mexico, and Belize, children selling items to make money for the family. I wanted to buy it all from them, at the same time we were told not to buy from them because the parents were exploiting them. I was truly torn, I did buy Jack Bread and bracelets from them in Belize. They sold their goods after school to people on the beach. I’m a sucker for children.

same here. Cancun and Isla Mujeres. honeymoon and vacations. Most of Mexico is full of people living in poverty, but you also get to see the strength and will to not only survive, but thrive in such conditions. I've watched families run a restaurant to make money, some living in large bamboo lean to's. snorkeling the ocean for food for the day.

Did you ever see if the Europeans had any odd stereotypes about Americans?

I think the biggest stereo types that seemed to go from country to country were all Americans are loud and boisterous.

I will tell you a story you may enjoy. Every year the city of Wittlich Germany has a pig fest that last a few days. There are rides and games, they roast whole hogs on an open spit in the town square and it is generally a good time.

Just outside of town is a campground. all of the good camping slots by the creek and waterfall are reserved for Europeans. The Americans are camped in a separate area where the nose won't bother the other campers. That is not to say some Americans (My group of friends) were not given the best camp sites because like the Europeans we respected those around us. We went every year in fact the owner always gave us the best sites.

Now the pig fest history: Wittlich was a walled city. The city was under siege but they lost the peg to keep the gates closed. In desperation they used a carrot. well the pigs ate the carrot and the gates swung open allowing the enemy in. Thus every year the city gets it's revenge on the pigs.

Mexico is an amazing place, flying into Mexico city airport took 45 minutes over the city, it is huge. The poverty can be seen with shacks right up to the airport fence and up the hills and yet other parts of the city were high end . Thousands of VW bugs used for taxis and buses. In mexico I found out they take things as they come, no drama. The food is plentiful and cheap and not like what we call Mexican food here.

Was in the city center on a Sunday it was packed with families, food vendors and street performers

01.jpg

Mexico is an amazing place, flying into Mexico city airport took 45 minutes over the city, it is huge. The poverty can be seen with shacks right up to the airport fence and up the hills and yet other parts of the city were high end . Thousands of VW bugs used for taxis and buses. In mexico I found out they take things as they come, no drama. The food is plentiful and cheap and not like what we call Mexican food here.

Was in the city center on a Sunday it was packed with families, food vendors and street performers

01.jpg
I’ve never been, but would love to go!

I think the biggest stereo types that seemed to go from country to country were all Americans are loud and boisterous.

I will tell you a story you may enjoy. Every year the city of Wittlich Germany has a pig fest that last a few days. There are rides and games, they roast whole hogs on an open spit in the town square and it is generally a good time.

Just outside of town is a campground. all of the good camping slots by the creek and waterfall are reserved for Europeans. The Americans are camped in a separate area where the nose won't bother the other campers. That is not to say some Americans (My group of friends) were not given the best camp sites because like the Europeans we respected those around us. We went every year in fact the owner always gave us the best sites.

Now the pig fest history: Wittlich was a walled city. The city was under siege but they lost the peg to keep the gates closed. In desperation they used a carrot. well the pigs ate the carrot and the gates swung open allowing the enemy in. Thus every year the city gets it's revenge on the pigs.

How awesome. I love your travel stories, esp. about Germany.

That stereotype doesn't surprise me; it's pretty much what I've heard too. Only adding in the word "obnoxious" as well. When we go there someday I vow to not be like that. :)

Back