Universal Healthcare Voted Into Law!

Where exactly is Medicare regulated. be specific.

Medicare is regulated when you get medical treatment. Doctors have all kinds of regulations to follow and often "fudge" reports so the patient qualifies for treatment. My doctor has to get prior approval before injecting my knee for arthritis.

should we assume that with GOVERNMENT running national healthcare for all, that price controls are going to be necessary?

Finally we got some of that with Medicare and the price of prescription drugs. Both of us are very happy with our Medicare coverage. And no, we don't have to wait for appointments and procedures, other than a few days for scheduling.

I must have missed the part of the US Constitution that made it a right of the people to lay claim to the services of another person........that sounds like, slavery.

Laying claim to the services of another person like border patrol agents, soldiers, teachers, federal law enforcement officials, etc.?

Government must also approve medical procedures. My wife has had three back injections ordered by a doctor and before each one we had to make a 200 mile roundtrip for a ten minute visit before Medicare approved the procedure in addition to the initial visit. The first back injection was required by Medicare before she could get a back operation.

That's typical for all types of spinal surgeries. I did utilization review for workers comp cases before retiring. We had protocols that had to be followed -- set up by the various insurance companies -- before we could approve an orthopedic surgery (most of the cases were orthopedic). Torn rotator cuff? PT, injections, NSAIDs. Diagnostics showing the acute injury. Specific measurements of lack of function, as well as continuing pain. Only then could we approve a surgical repair. Ditto for spinal injuries whether cervical or lumber. PT, medication, epidural steroid injections, then possibly a fusion if these treatments were ineffective. As nurses we were unable to approve fusions so our peer review physicians did that. The insurance companies were all private corporations; none of this was government.

If all insurance was as good and well run as medicare, we would be far better off.

did you know that for most people (those with Medicare Advantage plans) their health care is run by private companies?.......mine is run by Priority Health, BC/BS is a prominent Medicare advantage plan in Michigan........

That's typical for all types of spinal surgeries. I did utilization review for workers comp cases before retiring. We had protocols that had to be followed -- set up by the various insurance companies -- before we could approve an orthopedic surgery (most of the cases were orthopedic). Torn rotator cuff? PT, injections, NSAIDs. Diagnostics showing the acute injury. Specific measurements of lack of function, as well as continuing pain. Only then could we approve a surgical repair. Ditto for spinal injuries whether cervical or lumber. PT, medication, epidural steroid injections, then possibly a fusion if these treatments were ineffective. As nurses we were unable to approve fusions so our peer review physicians did that. The insurance companies were all private corporations; none of this was government.

Was all this required to qualify for Medicare reimbursement?

Was all this required to qualify for Medicare reimbursement?

No. The company I worked for did utilization review for private insurers, who carried the workers comp insurance for private companies, by state mandate. Liberty Mutual was one company; there was also Aetna, Gallagher-Bassett, and several others that were both national and regional. The only government involvement was the states' requirements that employers carry WC insurance for their employees.

Medicare and Medicaid though have similar standards for review depending on what the requested procedure/diagnostics/surgery is, and whether it is emergent or not.

Last edited:
did you know that for most people (those with Medicare Advantage plans) their health care is run by private companies?.......mine is run by Priority Health, BC/BS is a prominent Medicare advantage plan in Michigan........

Yep, supplemental plans run by private insurers make up the difference between what Medicare covers and what it doesn't. Judging by the annual bombardment of advertising, emails, and snail mail solicitations we get every year, there is big BIG money in providing these supplemental plans. So if we did adopt a national Medicare-for-all kind of insurance coverage, private insurance firms would not go out of business.

Finally we got some of that with Medicare and the price of prescription drugs. Both of us are very happy with our Medicare coverage. And no, we don't have to wait for appointments and procedures, other than a few days for scheduling.

so......plenty of regulation.......in other words, you believe that government should force people to give us their goods and services at rates YOU approve of.........we call that slavery

Yep, supplemental plans run by private insurers make up the difference between what Medicare covers and what it doesn't. Judging by the annual bombardment of advertising, emails, and snail mail solicitations we get every year, there is big BIG money in providing these supplemental plans. So if we did adopt a national Medicare-for-all kind of insurance coverage, private insurance firms would not go out of business.

so based upon this, national healthcare would make medical expenses even more expensive........how is that better?

so......plenty of regulation.......in other words, you believe that government should force people to give us their goods and services at rates YOU approve of.........we call that slavery

You can call it whatever you want, Cindy. But if you want to communicate, it helps to use the words everyone understands the meaning of.

I'll call it whatever it is. the reason you don't care about it being slavery is that you benefit from it. what does that say about you?

It says I worked hard my entire life and paid into the system for over 40 years, was lucky enough to make it to age 65, and now am enjoying the fruits of my labor.

Medicare is regulated when you get medical treatment. Doctors have all kinds of regulations to follow and often "fudge" reports so the patient qualifies for treatment. My doctor has to get prior approval before injecting my knee for arthritis.

f you are on Medicare your reply js pure bullshit.

Medicare Advantage is not traditional Medicare, its just a scam.

Back