Vacation location

I remember going to Minnesota with my college roommate.....fishing in some lake standing waist deep in the water in cutoffs and sneakers.....was cool.....

My 1L writing prof, had a cabin somewhere in the north on the lake. Told me if I ever make investment money to buy a house on a lake there.

I'm from California (coast, he knew that) and said, why? He said it is the most peaceful place he has been to.

I respectfully left it at that and told him, someday I will.

Don't you live in that area?

You must be super athletic!
No, just very active. Almost nonstop.
What were the ppl like, did you get along okay?
Most any American will tell you this... Germans stay to themselves and can seem rude if you don't know them, but once you're friends, you are their friend. Nothing fake. My wife laments the fakeness of Americans with their friendliness. Doesn't consider it genuine.
Any language issues?
Of course. I didn't learn German in school but since I knew I'd be there a while I made a concerted effort to learn. It was very frustrating at first and I didn't have a real conversation until after about a yr. when I had to go to a physician who didn't speak English. After that my confidence grew. My in-laws don't speak English so I'm forced to talk deutsch with them. Also my wife always spoke German with the two kids at home so just by hearing them over and over I understand but it's their stupid Sachsen dialect, sounds like mumbling to me. I learned in Bavaria so that and Austrian dialect are easy to my ear.
We also have a German couple we're friends with so the conversation is in German. It can be amusing - wife speaking Sachsen, they speak Schwabian and I speak Bavarian/Austrian with an American accent. To this day I still read crimi stories, that's easy reading. Before we have visitors from there or we go over there I'll study and listen to advanced dialogues with grammar and all several months before. Now my strategy is to start with the last dialogue and work backwards. I find that what I once considered hard becomes easy. It used to be a real effort and boring but like anything else the better you get at it the more enjoyable it is.

Last edited:
I think what most other posters are expecting is for you to stfu w/ the kid stuff & pretend to be civil or stay off the off topic.....:|

So expecting proof from those that demand it is acting like a kid? Interesting.

My 1L writing prof, had a cabin somewhere in the north on the lake. Told me if I ever make investment money to buy a house on a lake there.

I'm from California (coast, he knew that) and said, why? He said it is the most peaceful place he has been to.

I respectfully left it at that and told him, someday I will.

Don't you live in that area?

grew up in Iowa, about thirty miles from the Minnesota border......now I live in Holland, Michigan.......many people come to where I live for their favorite vacations.......I think its ideal.....two hours and I can be in downtown Chicago or two hours I can be on the Leelanau Peninsula......

dunes.jpg

p1158431383-3.jpg

No, just very active. Almost nonstop. Most any American will tell you this... Germans stay to themselves and can seem rude if you don't know them, but once you're friends, you are their friend. Nothing fake. My wife laments the fakeness of Americans with their friendliness. Doesn't consider it genuine. Of course. I didn't learn German in school but since I knew I'd be there a while I made a concerted effort to learn. It was very frustrating at first and I didn't have a real conversation until after about a yr. when I had to go to a physician who didn't speak English. After that my confidence grew. My in-laws don't speak English so I'm forced to talk deutsch with them. Also my wife always spoke German with the two kids at home so just by hearing them over and over I understand but it's their stupid Sachsen dialect, sounds like mumbling to me. I learned in Bavaria so that and Austrian dialect are easy to my ear.
We also have a German couple we're friends with so the conversation is in German. It can be amusing - wife speaking Sachsen, they speak Schwabian and I speak Bavarian/Austrian with an American accent. To this day I still read crimi stories, that's easy reading. Before we have visitors from there or we go over there I'll study and listen to advanced dialogues with grammar and all several months before. Now my strategy is to start with the last dialogue and work backwards. I find that what I once considered hard becomes easy. It used to be a real effort and boring but like anything else the better you get at it the more enjoyable it is.

I learned my Deutsch in Berlin so in Southern Deutschland they had a hard time understanding me. I remember we were in a big department store and I was asking the sales lady something and she said "let's speak English you speak Berliner with an American accent". That is what I found all over Europe if you tried to speak the language most often they would reply in English.

Two years ago we were in Innbruck, Austria for a week. Stayed in a 200 year old hotel just off the old town area. Skied four days, toured the remainder. Local busses are free if you have skis with you. Skied the same run that Franz Klammer did at Patscherkofel in 1976 (I just look a lot longer). Took the train to ski St. Anton one day, lapped on their "ferris wheel" gondola.

Toured the bobsled run at Igles during qualifying runs for the Women's World Cup, there was no one there except athletes, coaches and parents, and we walked right in and all over both sides of the track during the races. We met the US coaches at the restaurant there and bought them all coffee. On the way out we met parents of one of the UK racers and they gave us a ride back into the city.

Toured Neuschwanstein Castle.

My personal all time favorite is Bimini, only 53 miles from here, but a world away.

After about 40 years of traveling there yearly... I can tell you it is finally starting to change a bit and is not what it used to be. Get there before all is lost.

Of the other places I have been this past year, New Orleans is awesome, Havana, and Barcelona. It really depends on what you are looking for, best beach relaxing vacation.... Cholera, Spain. Best adventure vacation, fishing Bimini. Best Music / drinking vacation... New Orleans. Best cultural, getting to know different people... Havana.

Back