Vacation location

When my son was in middle school one of his teachers put together a trip to Italy and Greece to see historical sites. A busload of us went all over. Two-star travel arrangements the entire way- what a hoot. On the red-eye flight over my friend George and I befriended the stewardesses and emptied their stash of Glenlivet. An Orthodox Greek, he learned to speak the language as a kid and that got us in to see a small portion Athens in the raw.

Some of the boys that went over without their parents started acting up on night and George and I gave them a little lesson on how men need to act. ;)

We never took a vacation without our children until they were both in college. Vacations are for families to be together. What a shitty dad you are.

I do both, its good for my wife and I to get away together. Three weeks in Europe this past Summer with the kids was a blast.

I do both, its good for my wife and I to get away together. Three weeks in Europe this past Summer with the kids was a blast.

Everyone on the internet owns at least one Ferrari, and takes three week European vacations at exclusive resorts, lol.

Everyone on the internet owns at least one Ferrari, and takes three week European vacations at exclusive resorts, lol.

Well I have a sister-in-law who lives in France, so it was not all that $.

I learned my Deutsch in Berlin so in Southern Deutschland they had a hard time understanding me. I remember we were in a big department store and I was asking the sales lady something and she said "let's speak English you speak Berliner with an American accent". That is what I found all over Europe if you tried to speak the language most often they would reply in English.
Yeah I got a lot of that at first.
I had a friend from Dublin while there whose accent was so thick he had to speak German so I could understand him.

I've tried some of these.

Balut looks repulsive but taste like a hard boiled egg with chewy bits. Anticlimactic.

Helmet. I've tried it and it's not big deal either. Same with chicken feet. You just grill the skin till it's crispy and eat the skin. Not bad actually but it's like eating crab...more work than you get from it. They also grill chicken intestines.

Dinuguan is just their spin on blood sausage. Usually eaten for breakfast with rice and a fried egg. It's actually quite good.

Pinikpikan is little different than any other grilled or rottisery chicken you've ever head. Which is to say it's pretty darned good. It's just the method of preperation is a bit bizarre.

Papaitan would be hard for most Americans to like because of it's combination of bitter and sour flavor which is a flavor profile Filipinos love but is an acquired taste for most Americans. Better than Papaitan is Goat Head Soup which is knock your socks off delicious.

sinampalukangkambing1a1.jpg

But even better than Goat Head Soup is Bulalo which is a Filipino soup made with beef shank, sweet corn, cabbage and bok choy and it is seriously good eats. This is a dish any rural Midwestern can relate too.

Bulalo-Beef-Bone-Marrow-Soup.jpg

I've tried some of these.

Balut looks repulsive but taste like a hard boiled egg with chewy bits. Anticlimactic.

Helmet. I've tried it and it's not big deal either. Same with chicken feet. You just grill the skin till it's crispy and eat the skin. Not bad actually but it's like eating crab...more work than you get from it. They also grill chicken intestines.

Dinuguan is just their spin on blood sausage. Usually eaten for breakfast with rice and a fried egg. It's actually quite good.

Pinikpikan is little different than any other grilled or rottisery chicken you've ever head. Which is to say it's pretty darned good. It's just the method of preperation is a bit bizarre.

Papaitan would be hard for most Americans to like because of it's combination of bitter and sour flavor which is a flavor profile Filipinos love but is an acquired taste for most Americans. Better than Papaitan is Goat Head Soup which is knock your socks off delicious.

But even better than Goat Head Soup is Bulalo which is a Filipino soup made with beef shank, sweet corn, cabbage and bok choy and it is seriously good eats. This is a dish any rural Midwestern can relate too.

Sorry, but I'll leave the fried intestines and "brain food" to you.

Back