WEREWOLF - A strategic game rooted in debate and logic - INTEREST LIST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds interesting. Posting on this board is just a form of game to me anyway, slightly more interesting than minesweeper. I don't post much on weekends so not sure how much of a contributor I'd be. Talk me into it.

the game is about lying, and figuring out liars, and learning how to trust certain people, and putting a puzzle together. it can get very interesting.

So if I play I have to take some of those off my extensive ignore list? lol

Thanks for the invite, still trying to figure out how this works.

It sounds like wolves are like moles, or infiltrators in a group, and the point is to discern who they are.

For people that are concerned about figuring out the game, keep in mind that in the inaugural round, Grind just threw together a roster and told us to start playing with little notice and zero prep time. Everyone except for Mott figured it out.

I decided to post these to help those who haven't played before, to figure out the guidelines.

Werewolf is a in thread strategy game.

There are two teams:

1. Werewolves
2. Villagers

Wolves know who the other wolves are, and consequently, know who all the villagers are.

The villagers can only be certain of their own identity, and don't know the status of anyone else.

There is also a special role reserved for one villager, that being the seer. More on that role later.

The werewolves win by eliminating enough people so that they make up half of the players in the game. The villagers win by eliminating all the werewolves.

The game alternates between two phases, a Day phase and a Night Phase (this will likely be in real time):

Day Phase - During the day, the village (including werewolves) get together to discuss and decide who might be a werewolf. Essentially the werewolves are trying to trick the village into sacrificing one of their own. It's all about argument and strategy. If the wolves are too obvious the real villagers will figure out who they are. There is a lot of finesse that has to happen on both sides. As the game progresses, it's important to look back on voting behavior and statements made by everyone to draw conclusions based on people's identity.

Throughout the day, everyone votes who they think is a werewolf (votes may be changed at any time during the day). If someone gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. If no majority is reached by a certain time (maybe 9pm eastern), then then a plurity will suffice. If there is a tie, I choose someone at random based on the highest vote getters.

Night Phase - During the night phase, the werewolves decide who they are going to eat. They are allowed to communicate privately outside the main thread to make this decision. Normally werewolves are not allowed to communicate privately during the day. Also, anyone with a special role (such as seer) gets to act during the night as well.

The Seer - During the day the seer talks and votes just like the villagers. At night, a seer is allowed to determine the role of any one townsperson by asking the game overseer (me) The seer is on the villager side and has the same winning conditions.

You don't want to stick out to the wolves or the villagers as both could kill you. Early on at night it's a good idea to search for people you think play well on both sides as it's good to know where they stand. Later obviously you should try to look at the people you think are suspicious. Another important decision for the seer is when to "come out" that is reveal that they are the seer. This varies widely game by game and depends on what information you have. The seer is very important to a villager win. You have to weigh the options of revealing your identity. The benefit is that you reveal all of your information; if you were to die then you cannot do so. The cost is that you are probably going to get eaten that night.

Rules:

No talking at in-game night. (9pm usually, unless a majority vote is cast early in the day)

NO EDITING YOUR POSTS. Part of the game depends on people going back to look at your past comments. If you slip up or say something stupid, just hope someone does not notice it.

If you are not in the game PLEASE please please do not post in this thread. At the very least, if you are going to ignore me on that, please don't interfere with the game

No talking when dead. Most game mods will allow a post with some sort of funny comment, however no strategy content should be included "I knew I had it coming" is ok but "durron and Jared are wolves, look into their voting history" is not. After this post do not post anymore in the thread until the game ends. Dead wolves are dead in wolf chat as well. They may not give any further strategy input

You can vote and unvote as many times you like throughout a day, however when someone receives a majority of votes, it is immediately "night" and the villager is killed.

To vote, just type in underline lynch watermark or unvote yurt accordingly

Each night, wolves should eventually pm me with the name of who they want dead, and the seer should pm me the name of someone they would like to have information on. The have until 9am to do this. If no wolves pm me, a villager dies at random (and it will be noted to be random)

I'm still pondering whether to sign up or not. Also pondering why I was invited. Maybe I should quit pondering and go find the wine. lol

BTW, if you win what's the prize? Can you select a free ban of someone you don't like? Unlimited socks? The first-born child of the loser's favorite pet? A year's free subscription to Donuts of the Month?

I'm still pondering whether to sign up or not. Also pondering why I was invited. Maybe I should quit pondering and go find the wine. lol

BTW, if you win what's the prize? Can you select a free ban of someone you don't like? Unlimited socks? The first-born child of the loser's favorite pet? A year's free subscription to Donuts of the Month?

Sounds like you already found the wine.

You should play. I have it good authority that sometimes people who don't like each other, end up cool after this game.

I know you are so proud of your ignore list, loosen up and have some fun.

If you're on the winning side, you get bragging rights.

It sounds like wolves are like moles, or infiltrators in a group, and the point is to discern who they are.

correct. the wolves know who each of their fellow wolf teammates are, but for everyone else in the game, they can be only certain of their own identity. So even though everyone might say that they are a villager, no one can know that for sure right off the bat.

So lets say you are a wolf and one of your wolf teammates is about to be killed by the village. Do you try to defend that person and try to get someone else killed? And if so, what happens later if said wolf is killed and you were seen defending that person? It might make you more suspicious. So wolves have a delicate balance to maintain.

Additionally, you have the villager that has the special role of a "seer" where each night they LEARN the role of a new person in the game. So each day there will actually be a villager that DOES know what they are talking about, at least regarding a couple of people. Wolves want this person dead ASAP, because this villager holds all the keys to the game if they go deep. Which means wolves will be motivated to kill people they think are more correct than others, which means after a while you'll be able to deduce patterns from the people that wolves have wanted to go after.

The first day of the game leaves some people confused because they don't really see what kind of evidence they can gather, but as the game goes forward, patterns ALWAYS emerge, and good villagers can put the game together.

correct. the wolves know who each of their fellow wolf teammates are, but for everyone else in the game, they can be only certain of their own identity. So even though everyone might say that they are a villager, no one can know that for sure right off the bat.

So lets say you are a wolf and one of your wolf teammates is about to be killed by the village. Do you try to defend that person and try to get someone else killed? And if so, what happens later if said wolf is killed and you were seen defending that person? It might make you more suspicious. So wolves have a delicate balance to maintain.

Additionally, you have the villager that has the special role of a "seer" where each night they LEARN the role of a new person in the game. So each day there will actually be a villager that DOES know what they are talking about, at least regarding a couple of people. Wolves want this person dead ASAP, because this villager holds all the keys to the game if they go deep. Which means wolves will be motivated to kill people they think are more correct than others, which means after a while you'll be able to deduce patterns from the people that wolves have wanted to go after.

The first day of the game leaves some people confused because they don't really see what kind of evidence they can gather, but as the game goes forward, patterns ALWAYS emerge, and good villagers can put the game together.

So if me, and Yurt end up on the same side, our usual spats might make it difficult to decipher the two of us. It's an added dynamic to the game basically.

So if me, and Yurt end up on the same side, our usual spats might make it difficult to decipher the two of us. It's an added dynamic to the game basically.

Not necessarily. Friction can be a way to gather information even among people on the same side. The most important thing is to not take it too personally even if you are an innocent villager who goes down. As long as the village wins, you win even if you are eliminated. This can be beneficial to the village to clear out possibilities especially in a game in which certain villagers might have special powers/skills so those are more likely to be utilized effectively and not wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back