What is Christmas Dinner?

The missus had an old family recipe for apple crisp we loved.
The secret ingredient was grated sharp cheddar cheese added to the flour on top.
People would raise their eyebrows hearing about it but tasting was believing.
Even better heated up the next day.

Re dinner, never really did that. Might cook a turkey or get some spiral ham but mainly heavy hor d'ouvres (no I don't know how to spell it, busted).

Dad found an awesome one; brown equal parts hamburger and sausage then melt Velvita into it and serve on cocktail breads. Everyone would gather round the stove scooping up mix and shoving it into their pieholes. It was embarrassingly good.
Two great ideas...thanks for the tips...;) Horse du'vores...good any way you spell it...;)

I always loved sweet and anything chocolate. Especially with an ice cold glass of milk.

I keep my frig very cold and I rarely drink milk anymore because of all of that sugar but once in awhile I crave something like that. I actually just last week did milk and cookies and my milk had ice in it. My Grandparents Crozier spent much of their life drinking dried milk on the farm for a couple of reasons, and they always served it over ice to make it taste better. When ever I drink milk over ice I think of them.

I have heard that it is almost impossible to dry age successfully with-out a dedicated to that purpose frig.

Do you know different?
You're right but Alton Brown from Food Network showed it is possible if you have 2 sealed containers and are willing to ruin one of them. Drill holes in the bottom of one container that is big enough to hold the roast you want to dry age so the liquid can drain. Place that container with some rock salt inside another airtight container with spacers on the bottom so there is room for the liquid to drain. It keeps the funk separated.

You have to flip the roast once in a while and throw away the liquid but it's basically having the willpower to go 6 weeks. Then trim the mold off before cutting it into steaks. Six weeks won't give you cheese but it will prove that grass fed beef is way better than prime rib.

Yes to brining -- it makes ALL the difference. I was so glad to discover it.

You must be a Southerner. The menu can vary but basically stays the same. And of course, ham, black-eyed peas, collard greens and corn bread on New Year's Day.
We don't eat pork so its Smoked Turkey for us. My wife freezes fresh blackeyes every summer for New Years and Thanksgiving.I don't know if you smoke turkeys or not. If you don't you should try a Greenberg Smoked Turkey out of Tyler Texas sometime..GobbleGobble.com They will UPS them to your front door. Oprah said it was the best smoked Turkey she had ever eaten.

Anyway if you don't inject with 40% butter and 60% Chicken broth before you roast you should try it. When Combined with the brine it makes a moist tender bird.

I'm from the Dallas area. My mom taught my wife how to make cornbread dressing.

You're right but Alton Brown from Food Network showed it is possible if you have 2 sealed containers and are willing to ruin one of them. Drill holes in the bottom of one container that is big enough to hold the roast you want to dry age so the liquid can drain. Place that container with some rock salt inside another airtight container with spacers on the bottom so there is room for the liquid to drain. It keeps the funk separated.

You have to flip the roast once in a while and throw away the liquid but it's basically having the willpower to go 6 weeks. Then trim the mold off before cutting it into steaks. Six weeks won't give you cheese but it will prove that grass fed beef is way better than prime rib.

Interesting. Alton Brown is a good problem solver who will try anything....he has been very interesting for me to watch though I think I have used a recipe of his maybe once. Partly because I tend to not use recipes, and partly because I am old school when I cook. I was noticing at my daughters last week that she has so much stuff in her kitchen that I dont have, all the modern gadgets and whatnot.

BTW that has been my birthday cake for as long as I can remember. Until I was maybe 11 it was amended with chocolate buttercream frosting and fudge filling between the layers, after that I have taken it traditional.
My Birthday cake also. We make it from the recipe on the Baker's chocolate bar.

Interesting. Alton Brown is a good problem solver who will try anything....he has been very interesting for me to watch though I think I have used a recipe of his maybe once. Partly because I tend to not use recipes, and partly because I am old school when I cook. I was noticing at my daughters last week that she has so much stuff in her kitchen that I dont have, all the modern gadgets and whatnot.
Have you ever use powder Worcestershire on the roast then pack it in rock salt and bake it. Very good.

https://www.brookshires.com/recipes/david-wades-old-english-prime-rib-roasted-in-rock-salt/22533

Have you ever use powder Worcestershire on the roast then pack it in rock salt and bake it. Very good.

https://www.brookshires.com/recipes/david-wades-old-english-prime-rib-roasted-in-rock-salt/22533

No,,,actually I have cooked and eaten so much prime rib in restaurants over this life, and my wife is not a super fan, so I almost never make it. It has likely been 15 years or more.

My brother talked me into it....I have not decided what to do with it.

Wife is going shopping tomorrow... I must decide.

No,,,actually I have cooked and eaten so much prime rib in restaurants over this life, and my wife is not a super fan, so I almost never make it. It has likely been 15 years or more.

My brother talked me into it....I have not decided what to do with it.

Wife is going shopping tomorrow... I must decide.
I pick one out at Krogers and my wife made me put it back. We almost had a insurrection a few years back because the relatives wanted Turkey and I cooked a prime rib. I was going to smoke a prime rib to go with the roasted turkey this time ...but noooooo.:laugh:

I'll give that a try. It a little too sweet I have noticed.

I use recipes for baking more than cooking, for obvious reasons. Recipes that I dont know for sure are at least 30 years old I generally remove sugar and taste...10% usually though I have sometimes taken out 20% if the recipe looks especially sugar heavy.

Tangent: I have caught Martha Stewart taking butter out of her buttermilk pancake recipe online.

You cant trust anyone!

Anyone with an extra frig should try fermentation. I used to hang a deer in the garage for at least 2 weeks of winter before butchering. Our system is designed to work better with foods that have already begone to break down.

Back