What is Christmas Dinner?

Anyone with an extra frig should try fermentation. I used to hang a deer in the garage for at least 2 weeks of winter before butchering. Our system is designed to work better with foods that have already begone to break down.

Not least because there is been some recent apparently solid science that fermented foods are good for us...especially in the area of gut health....for a good mix of microbes.

Tangent: I have caught Martha Stewart taking butter out of her buttermilk pancake recipe online.

You cant trust anyone!
If my wife cooks a Martha Stewart recipe and it does not turn out she calls her Martha F***king Stewart. Trust me you do not want to make a redhead mad. :laugh:

I keep my frig very cold and I rarely drink milk anymore because of all of that sugar but once in awhile I crave something like that. I actually just last week did milk and cookies and my milk had ice in it. My Grandparents Crozier spent much of their life drinking dried milk on the farm for a couple of reasons, and they always served it over ice to make it taste better. When ever I drink milk over ice I think of them.
I used to put the milk jug in the freezer to get it really iced over.

Not least because there is been some recent apparently solid science that fermented foods are good for us...especially in the area of gut health....for a good mix of microbes.
There's a lot more to cooking than throwing a ham in the oven. It's important to know how to preserve that ham. Christmas was usually the last of the fresh meat. We had to know how to survive winter.

There's a lot more to cooking than throwing a ham in the oven. It's important to know how to preserve that ham. Christmas was usually the last of the fresh meat. We had to know how to survive winter.

You are starting to sound like Jeannette Walls of The Glass Castle fame.

Did you have electricity?

May I ask what part of the country do you live in?

I'm not eating sugar. I bake and make fudge because I enjoy the challenge, not to eat it. My diet doesn't consist of sugar but I'm not carb free by any stretch.

This is rare, you getting a reply from me so consider it your Christmas present.

You are unstable, ugly acting and mean spirited. No one I care to converse with. Back to no reply for you.

Well, honey, your replies to me are more like an invasion of scabies, but sure -- whatever floats your sad attention-whoring boat and boosts your pathetic self-esteem.

So you make an entire Christmas dinner full of carbs -- per your own description -- but you don't eat any of it. No doubt that's the honest truth and you're not lying at all.

And I'm Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer. :laugh:
\

May I ask what part of the country do you live in?
I've been in and out of San Diego for more than 30 years. We have some of the best seafood in the world but the deer are inedible. Southern California is basically a desert that ends at the pacific ocean.

You are starting to sound like Jeannette Walls of The Glass Castle fame.

Did you have electricity?
You can't bring me out of my Christmas spirit with your negativity, Hawkeye. Electricity has become a problem for our existing grid. Maybe we should focus on that after Christmas dinner.

You can't bring me out of my Christmas spirit with your negativity, Hawkeye. Electricity has become a problem for our existing grid. Maybe we should focus on that after Christmas dinner.

What a wildly inappropriate response from you....I take interest in your life and so you attack me.

YUK

I've been in and out of San Diego for more than 30 years. We have some of the best seafood in the world but the deer are inedible. Southern California is basically a desert that ends at the pacific ocean.
Awesome. I bet that's beautiful. My parents lived there before I was born, I think in Coronado. The zoo there is supposed to be amazing too.

I have pretty much decided on Jerk Seasoning, garlic, thyme and olive oil on my Prime Rib (standing ribeye roast-choice).

City ham, cornbread dressing with chicken, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed taters, red eye gravy, cranberry salad, whippoorwill peas … Pecan pie (pronounced puh-kahn), mincemeat pie, coconut meringue pie, pumpkin bread … all to be served with plenty of calf slobber in a can.

Awesome. I bet that's beautiful. My parents lived there before I was born, I think in Coronado. The zoo there is supposed to be amazing too.
Cooking is local. We have to use the food that is available. That's why travel is so important. I can't learn grits, collards and black-eyed peas without immersing myself in culture. Travel taught me how to cook.

Back