What Movie did you just recently Watch?

The Departed.

I was a wee bit disappointed, frankly. It was a Scorsese film and that's never a bad thing but I don't think it was his best. I think maybe this was another one of those Oscars that was just overdue: the next Scorsese movie was going to win no matter what.

Definitely worth watching, though, and some of the dialog was superb. Jack Nicholson played Jack Nicholson again, but at least the character was appropriate this time. ;)

The Departed.

I was a wee bit disappointed, frankly. It was a Scorsese film and that's never a bad thing but I don't think it was his best. I think maybe this was another one of those Oscars that was just overdue: the next Scorsese movie was going to win no matter what.

Definitely worth watching, though, and some of the dialog was superb. Jack Nicholson played Jack Nicholson again, but at least the character was appropriate this time. ;)

I just saw The Departed last night. I really liked it. The tension throughout the movie was palpable. I never got bored. The ending was kind of weird. But overall, it was really good.

Honestly though, if you want to watch a move about organized crime and the mafia, there's never been anything made that even touches Good Fellas. Everyone seems to want to try to make a mafia movie in the genre of Good Fellas, but they all fall short, IMO.

Just saw Pans laberynth, Great movie.

Also saw 11:14 a really good movie if you like the kind that have converging plots where you follow several story lines that all converge.

I hate Goodfellas, but I loved The Departed.

Munich was a good flick wasn't it?

I liked Munich. I'd give it a qualified thumbs-up. ;)

On the one hand it was a good story, well acted and well directed. A pretty good story about the struggle with morality of the mossad agents who were directed to assasinate palestinian leaders throughout europe on the heels of the munich massacre.

On the other hand, the potrayal of palestinians was a bit cartoonish. Certainly the members of Black September who carried out the executions were thugs. But, the whole broader context of the palestinian-israeli issue, and all its complexities, was really glossed over.

I liked Munich. I'd give it a qualified thumbs-up. ;)

On the one hand it was a good story, well acted and well directed. A pretty good story about the struggle with morality of the mossad agents who were directed to assasinate palestinian leaders throughout europe on the heels of the munich massacre.

On the other hand, the potrayal of palestinians was a bit cartoonish. Certainly the members of Black September who carried out the executions were thugs. But, the whole broader context of the palestinian-israeli issue, and all its complexities, was really glossed over.

Hmm. I saw it when it first came out. I will have to watch it again. It's not because Eric Bana was in it that I might not have noticed what you said here.

Just saw Pans laberynth, Great movie.

Also saw 11:14 a really good movie if you like the kind that have converging plots where you follow several story lines that all converge.
I love 11:14! That is some clever film-making, that is. :) Whoever wrote that thinks in much the same way I do.

The first time I saw it, I vividly remember thinking "what the hell is that bowling ball doing in a cemetary??!?" And of course we find out. And it all makes sense, in a screwey sort of way.

Hmm. I saw it when it first came out. I will have to watch it again. It's not because Eric Bana was in it that I might not have noticed what you said here.

Yeah, I know your ability to credibly critique a film goes into the toilet, when beefcake is involved ;)

j/k. Munich was good.

Flock of Dodos. Great stuff! He not only nailed the attack on evolutionary biology being waged in the popular media, he made some good points about what the good guys are doing wrong. Not only that, but it's funny and charming as well.

I love 11:14! That is some clever film-making, that is. :) Whoever wrote that thinks in much the same way I do.

The first time I saw it, I vividly remember thinking "what the hell is that bowling ball doing in a cemetary??!?" And of course we find out. And it all makes sense, in a screwey sort of way.

Me too about the bowling ball but I will say no more ,dont want to give it away.

I saw "the dead girl "the other night it is similar but needed better editting I think.

"The Last King of Scotland"

Pretty good. Not great.

Forrest Whitecker gave a tour-de-force performance though.

"Letters from Iwo Jima"

My rating: 3 stars (out of four)

It's entirely in Japanese. So skip it if you can't handle subtitles.

Oh, I wanted to see that movie! I forgot all about it, thanks for reminding me.

It's a cool idea. The battle shot from the perspectives of both sides. Putting a human face on the japanese soldiers. I think I'm going to get the other one today: "Flags of our fathers".

Back