What Song Are You Listening To, Right Now?

The Thatch then, eh? What to make of it? It won't come as that much of a surprise to learn that i've never really been that much of a fan. I can't pretend i've ever liked the woman or her horrendous policies, although I will compromise a little and state she wasn't entirely evil. There i've said it. I'll even say that she did do a few things which were necessary at the time (how she went about it and the failure to adequately prepare for what came next is where I have major 'issues'). Not that many mind, before you have me down as a swivel-eyed subscriber to the Daily fucking Mail. However, when I heard of her decommissioning I can't say I had much of a reaction other than a brief shrug of the shoulder and a muted - “oh, right”. No feeling whatsoever. Devoid of all emotion. Nothing.

I imagine she's probably looking up at me now, wiping away a sulphurous black tear, her tiny heart bursting with pride. Truly, I am a child of Thatcher.

What has been increasingly annoying was the subsequent reaction to her death. Reading some of the newspapers last week it was as if everybody's favourite grandmother had passed away, rather than a polarising political beast, passionately loathed by a significant number of people inhabiting this accursed rock. The right-wing press has spoken. Dissent has been outlawed. No criticism is to be heard. The BBC has been accused of showing terrible disrespect by airing interviews with some odd people, with funny accents, who did not agree with her, or blamed her for trifling things like losing their homes, their livelihoods or simply any hope whatsoever. This sort of thing cannot be allowed to impinge on the narrative of greatness. Everybody loved cuddly Mrs Thatch, except a handful of violent extremist miners, probably from the *whispers* north.

David Camerons wasted no time in recalling Parliament, five days early, for a vital seven hour psychotherapy session focussing on the Oedipus complex. If you've harboured secret fantasies revolving around several hundred smartly dressed men furiously masturbating, then, boy, was this the week for you. Of course, dissent was frowned upon. Some opposition MP's seemed to be under the misguided impression that parliament was some sort of democratic talking shop for the free exchange of views and opinions. Needless to say dissenters were given the shortest of short shrift. I did enjoy the bit when several Tory gents, fresh from lauding their fallen leader's refusal compromise, shouted down a female Labour MP for sticking to her principles and refusing to compromise. You reading this Alanis Morrissettes?

I'm still not quite sure why this pre-memorial love-in couldn't have waited until today, or even until after the funeral, unless the rumours are to be believed and she will rise again on the seventh day to destroy The Guardian as prophesied. Still, i'm sure none of those present will claim any of the maximum 3,750 squids expenses from the taxpayer. As so many of them pointed out – she despised the needless waste of taxpayer's money.

I did learn that Mrs T was a champion of the individual who had, at her core, the zeal of cutting dependency on the state. This, we were repeatedly told, was a virtue – as true then as it is today. So it was with not a little sadness that I learned the taxpayer could only afford to spend a paltry ten million pounds on her funeral. Come on David Camerons, why not take up Labour's suggestion of borrowing more to invest in a greater selection of vol-au-vents to feed Jeremy Clarksons, or just shut a few hospitals in Liverpool?

She died last week but, really, the Conservative party killed her in 1990. Stripped of power she became a frail old woman devoid of her faculties (although being senile and dead probably qualifies her to become the next Minister for Health in this pitiful government). So, as Tory grandees call for “respect” and a little compassion I do wonder where exactly they were in the 1980s?

There doesn't seem much point in celebrating now but I can certainly understand the reaction of people who do.

Good Day.

Hefner – 'The Day Margaret Thatcher Dies'

Fuck, that was a bit longer than planned.

The Thatch then, eh? What to make of it? It won't come as that much of a surprise to learn that i've never really been that much of a fan. I can't pretend i've ever liked the woman or her horrendous policies, although I will compromise a little and state she wasn't entirely evil. There i've said it. I'll even say that she did do a few things which were necessary at the time (how she went about it and the failure to adequately prepare for what came next is where I have major 'issues'). Not that many mind, before you have me down as a swivel-eyed subscriber to the Daily fucking Mail. However, when I heard of her decommissioning I can't say I had much of a reaction other than a brief shrug of the shoulder and a muted - “oh, right”. No feeling whatsoever. Devoid of all emotion. Nothing.

I imagine she's probably looking up at me now, wiping away a sulphurous black tear, her tiny heart bursting with pride. Truly, I am a child of Thatcher.

What has been increasingly annoying was the subsequent reaction to her death. Reading some of the newspapers last week it was as if everybody's favourite grandmother had passed away, rather than a polarising political beast, passionately loathed by a significant number of people inhabiting this accursed rock. The right-wing press has spoken. Dissent has been outlawed. No criticism is to be heard. The BBC has been accused of showing terrible disrespect by airing interviews with some odd people, with funny accents, who did not agree with her, or blamed her for trifling things like losing their homes, their livelihoods or simply any hope whatsoever. This sort of thing cannot be allowed to impinge on the narrative of greatness. Everybody loved cuddly Mrs Thatch, except a handful of violent extremist miners, probably from the *whispers* north.

David Camerons wasted no time in recalling Parliament, five days early, for a vital seven hour psychotherapy session focussing on the Oedipus complex. If you've harboured secret fantasies revolving around several hundred smartly dressed men furiously masturbating, then, boy, was this the week for you. Of course, dissent was frowned upon. Some opposition MP's seemed to be under the misguided impression that parliament was some sort of democratic talking shop for the free exchange of views and opinions. Needless to say dissenters were given the shortest of short shrift. I did enjoy the bit when several Tory gents, fresh from lauding their fallen leader's refusal compromise, shouted down a female Labour MP for sticking to her principles and refusing to compromise. You reading this Alanis Morrissettes?

I'm still not quite sure why this pre-memorial love-in couldn't have waited until today, or even until after the funeral, unless the rumours are to be believed and she will rise again on the seventh day to destroy The Guardian as prophesied. Still, i'm sure none of those present will claim any of the maximum 3,750 squids expenses from the taxpayer. As so many of them pointed out – she despised the needless waste of taxpayer's money.

I did learn that Mrs T was a champion of the individual who had, at her core, the zeal of cutting dependency on the state. This, we were repeatedly told, was a virtue – as true then as it is today. So it was with not a little sadness that I learned the taxpayer could only afford to spend a paltry ten million pounds on her funeral. Come on David Camerons, why not take up Labour's suggestion of borrowing more to invest in a greater selection of vol-au-vents to feed Jeremy Clarksons, or just shut a few hospitals in Liverpool?

She died last week but, really, the Conservative party killed her in 1990. Stripped of power she became a frail old woman devoid of her faculties (although being senile and dead probably qualifies her to become the next Minister for Health in this pitiful government). So, as Tory grandees call for “respect” and a little compassion I do wonder where exactly they were in the 1980s?

There doesn't seem much point in celebrating now but I can certainly understand the reaction of people who do.

Good Day.

Hefner – 'The Day Margaret Thatcher Dies'

Fuck, that was a bit longer than planned.

The funeral cost £10 million but half of that is from private donations. Considering that she saved the country £75 billion in EU rebates alone, I reckon that £5 million from the public purse is fuck all really. Contrast that with the £12 billion that New Labour blew on an NHS computer system that never worked, the £800 million on the Millenium Dome and the £20 billion Gordon Brown lost by selling gold at $300 per ounce. I might also point out that most of that money is for security to keep the assorted anarchists, toerags and scum from trying to wreck it. Oh by way, welcome back.

The funeral cost £10 million but half of that is from private donations. Considering that she saved the country £75 billion in EU rebates alone, I reckon that £5 million from the public purse is fuck all really. Contrast that with the £12 billion that New Labour blew on an NHS computer system that never worked, the £800 million on the Millenium Dome and the £20 billion Gordon Brown lost by selling gold at $300 per ounce. I might also point out that most of that money is for security to keep the assorted anarchists, toerags and scum from trying to wreck it. Oh by way, welcome back.

Yeah, i don't know what we're complaining about really.

Thankfully, the Metropolitan Police have now given the nod to those "toerags, anarchists and scum", or as i like to call them "the public who are footing the bill", permission to turn their backs on the procession they are paying for without fear of arrest. Makes you proud, eh?

And ta for the welcome.

Yeah, i don't know what we're complaining about really.

Thankfully, the Metropolitan Police have now given the nod to those "toerags, anarchists and scum", or as i like to call them "the public who are footing the bill", permission to turn their backs on the procession they are paying for without fear of arrest. Makes you proud, eh?

And ta for the welcome.

I doubt if many of the anarchists, toerags and scum pay tax. Let them turn their backs, I have no problem with that but if they start throwing stuff then I won't cry if a few heads are cracked open.

I doubt if many of the anarchists, toerags and scum pay tax. Let them turn their backs, I have no problem with that but if they start throwing stuff then I won't cry if a few heads are cracked open.

The public do pay tax though, Tom.

So if a member of the public wishes to demonstrate on their own streets, in their own country against the misuse of their money, i'd see it more as a consumer complaint.

We live in a strange old world where The Daily M**l is demanding taxpayer subsidies and Ken Loach is demanding they privatise the funeral. Surely this is the end of days.

The public do pay tax though, Tom.

So if a member of the public wishes to demonstrate on their own streets, in their own country against the misuse of their money, i'd see it more as a consumer complaint.

We live in a strange old world where The Daily M**l is demanding taxpayer subsidies and Ken Loach is demanding they privatise the funeral. Surely this is the end of days.

I suppose they do pay tax on their Old Holborn, special length fag papers and cans of Special Brew, I will give you that.

Back