Which kind of whiskey should I buy

Bulleit Bourbon if you can find it. Best bang for your buck $25 or so for a fifth, and waaaaay better than the crap these ameteur nincompoops have been recommending in this thread.
Amateur? Clearly sir, you haven't heard. My reputation in the affairs of alcohol proceeds me.

I would offer one humble suggestion:

by a fifth of The Famous Grouse. It is a wonderful scotch and much better - and smoother - than scotches costing five times as much.

I haven't tried that one, but seriously shuddered at the recommendation for JW Red. Please!

If you want just to get drunk then any of that stuff will do I suppose. If you want a fine scotch whiskey, I recommend a good single malt like The Macallan. Honest, smooth, and clear. There are others as well but this is a great starting point.

You are all recommending good whiskey for someone who doesn't drink and won't appreciate it.

The sweet junk like Southern Comfort will get him hammered and let him cry.

You are all recommending good whiskey for someone who doesn't drink and won't appreciate it.

... and if he really doesn't drink now it won't take much! I tried a Mint Julep once and was asleep within the half hour.

True. He should just pick up a pint of Old Grandad and be done with it. Its actually not bad, and its totally cheap.

old_grandad.jpg

Truth be told I was just looking for an excuse to paint a very sad picture.

But I've tried southern comfort before and it's pretty awful. I don't want sweet junk.

I doubt he has the connections to get real absinthe. But yeah, that stuff will seriously mess you up. But I think the wormwood stuff is illegal in the US, isn't it?

I think its like Ouzo. They claim its the same, but the effects are different.
There not the same in affect. The one similiarity Ouzo has with absinthe is that if you mix it with cold water it will become white and cloudy.

I would offer one humble suggestion:

by a fifth of The Famous Grouse. It is a wonderful scotch and much better - and smoother - than scotches costing five times as much.
No, No, No! He wants to cry himself to sleep not sit and contentedly ponder the inequities of the world. Good Scotch is definately out!!

I mean think about it Maine? If he wanted a good scotch he'd ask us for a good cigar to match it with!

True.....I'll comromise with you. A bottle of Southern Comfort and a 0.38. He should be able to get drunk, have a good cry and solve all his problems! ;)

No, No, No! He wants to cry himself to sleep not sit and contentedly ponder the inequities of the world. Good Scotch is definately out!!

I mean think about it Maine? If he wanted a good scotch he'd ask us for a good cigar to match it with!

I actually think that's what I'd want. I tend to overdrink but that's not exactly my intention. I would prefer a good tasting whiskey.

I actually think that's what I'd want. I tend to overdrink but that's not exactly my intention. I would prefer a good tasting whiskey.
Dude, anything between $25 and $35 a fitfth and you can't go wrong. Scotch, Bourbon, Irish Whiskey. Just pick something out that interest you and give her a go. That's how you develop your taste.

If you're developing a taste don't sip it neat, just pour two fingers over some ice. Matching it with a good cigar, if your just starting out smoking cigars, I'd recommend something mild like a Butera or a Macanudo. Not the most flavorful cigars in the world but thats a good way to start.....you don't want to hurl after all.

Also, if you alternately sip some ice water while your sipping the whiskey you won't get drunk to fast and it the hang over won't be as bad the next day.

The only whiskey I drink is Jack. Perhaps you can be festive, WM, and buy the Gentleman Jack.

But honestly, before you pull out the whiskey, I recommend you do something festive. I dunno when your birthday is, but if baseball season has started already, drive your ass to the nearest minor league field, and load up on some ballpark beers while watching the greatest sport on Earth. Then go home and break out the Jack Daniels.

Back