Which kind of whiskey should I buy

The only whiskey I drink is Jack.

God that irks me when I hear that.

It irks me to high heaven. It speaks to the marketing of Jack Daniel's and nothing more. There are far superior whiskeys than Jack, and many of them are half the cost. I don't care what anyone says, Evan Williams is a much finer drink than #7. Much finer, and it is half the cost. 10 High used to be considered a premium bourbon whiskey, but the marketing machine of Jack was more aggressive and 10 High is now considered shitty bourbon because of its price. But 10 High is superior to Jack daniel's. Bulleit bourbon is priced the same as Jack, and is way better.

Now, credit where credit is due, Gentleman Jack is a fine whiskey. Smooth and just the right balance between blended and dry.

But that shit is $60 a handle at Costco, where a handle of Evan Williams is every bit as good, and available for less than half that.

Gawd. "All I drink is Jack" is a translation of "I have never ever bothered to look at other whiskeys because I'm so mesmerized by the marketing machine of yet another big company that I can't veer from what they tell me to do in Maxim magazine."

All you drink is Jack. God that irks me.

If you are ready to grow beyond Bourbon, let Old Overholt be your first step. 4 year old, 80°. Smooth, perhaps a bit light. A drink for the mature--for whom the excitement of life has passed yet the best is still to come. Can this and Gentleman Jack be on the same shelf? A drink of memory--of fields and stars, of bread and the bread-of-life. The sky is free, but the earth lives. The earth brings all our needs, but the sky contains our dreams. Ultimately earth cannot not prevent our desires from going where we cannot walk. (Some Rye Whiskey Poetry)

If you are ready to grow beyond Bourbon, let Old Overholt be your first step. 4 year old, 80°. Smooth, perhaps a bit light. A drink for the mature--for whom the excitement of life has passed yet the best is still to come. Can this and Gentleman Jack be on the same shelf? A drink of memory--of fields and stars, of bread and the bread-of-life. The sky is free, but the earth lives. The earth brings all our needs, but the sky contains our dreams. Ultimately earth cannot not prevent our desires from going where we cannot walk. (Some Rye Whiskey Poetry)

Sounds like you were sucking on a handle of 10 High just prior to writing this. :clink:

Me too.

The only whiskey I drink is Jack. Perhaps you can be festive, WM, and buy the Gentleman Jack.

But honestly, before you pull out the whiskey, I recommend you do something festive. I dunno when your birthday is, but if baseball season has started already, drive your ass to the nearest minor league field, and load up on some ballpark beers while watching the greatest sport on Earth. Then go home and break out the Jack Daniels.

Sorry, they don't play hockey at a ballpark.

Sounds like you were sucking on a handle of 10 High just prior to writing this. :clink:

Me too.

I wish! I had an old friend...dead 10 years now, and we used to drink a glass of Rye together from time to time. I could not tell ya the name of it, I only remember it was a taste that shocked then burned then was smooth sailing all the way down...He swore by a rye whiskey over corn always!

This thread gave me rememberance of him. His father was a ridge-runner and his father before him.

The post was a cut-n-paste~~~

God that irks me when I hear that.

It irks me to high heaven. It speaks to the marketing of Jack Daniel's and nothing more. There are far superior whiskeys than Jack, and many of them are half the cost. I don't care what anyone says, Evan Williams is a much finer drink than #7. Much finer, and it is half the cost. 10 High used to be considered a premium bourbon whiskey, but the marketing machine of Jack was more aggressive and 10 High is now considered shitty bourbon because of its price. But 10 High is superior to Jack daniel's. Bulleit bourbon is priced the same as Jack, and is way better.

Now, credit where credit is due, Gentleman Jack is a fine whiskey. Smooth and just the right balance between blended and dry.

But that shit is $60 a handle at Costco, where a handle of Evan Williams is every bit as good, and available for less than half that.

Gawd. "All I drink is Jack" is a translation of "I have never ever bothered to look at other whiskeys because I'm so mesmerized by the marketing machine of yet another big company that I can't veer from what they tell me to do in Maxim magazine."

All you drink is Jack. God that irks me.
Calm down Beefy! Don't discourage him. 3D.....What Beefy is trying to say is would you only make love to white women and would you always use the same stroke? I would hope not!

Same thing with good whiskey, variety is the spice of life! :)

Yea, Yea...quite drooling on the joint ID and pass it this way! ;)

I got ticks for the game at Nationwide on 4/9. The jackets are gonna spank the Redwings ass.....and your only saying that cause Hokey is the only professional sport in Detroit! :pke:
Tigers aren't that bad (no where near as bad as they used to be) and the Pistons are still pretty good from my understanding. Just because the Lions are the worst team in NFL history, doesn't mean we only have the Red Wings to look up to (the greatest team in NHL history).

If ya wanna put a bet on the game your attending, I'll be happy to oblige.

Tigers aren't that bad (no where near as bad as they used to be) and the Pistons are still pretty good from my understanding. Just because the Lions are the worst team in NFL history, doesn't mean we only have the Red Wings to look up to (the greatest team in NHL history).

If ya wanna put a bet on the game your attending, I'll be happy to oblige.
Naaa just yanking your chain. Neither team is that great this year. Should still be fun, Hokey is just insane.

Calm down Beefy! Don't discourage him. 3D.....What Beefy is trying to say is would you only make love to white women and would you always use the same stroke? I would hope not!

Same thing with good whiskey, variety is the spice of life! :)

Well, I do generally prefer my white sistahs, so I could probably live with that. Different strokes for different folks, of course. For Beefy:

:shots: <----- Each one of them Jacks

I can't say that Jack is the best whiskey. Its not even the best whiskey for the money.

But i have a lot of great (if incomplete) memories connected to that square bottle.

I can't say that Jack is the best whiskey. Its not even the best whiskey for the money.

But i have a lot of great (if incomplete) memories connected to that square bottle.
Ahh it's all a preference. My choice is Makers Mark. The price is reasonable, the taste is smooth and rich and I can get reasonably plastered on it with out getting to bad of a hangover. That and I like the bottle. Makes a good candle holder or coin jar.

You should buy the kind that you drink and that gets you drunk. That way you can spend as little as you want and still be successful. At first you won't be able to tell if it is any good anyway.

Back