Yuck!

And killing healthy tissue increases the chances of infection because of the increased size of the wound.

And when you stop applying the H2O2, you stop killing bacterial and preventing infection.

Still waiting for you to stop the straw man and answer my question. *shrug*

Sure you did, as explained earlier.

You ignored two questions, actually. Post 49, then 54.

Talk about 'selective memory'. *shrug*

I remember most things that matter.

"You don't leave it on there for two days; just enough time to loosen the head and destroy all the bacteria. What works better than H2O2 to do that? "

So you want to know what destroys bacteria and loosens the head better than H2O2? Bleach and a wire brush would do it.

Unless you want to know what would be best for the health of an animal who just had a tick removed? How about Neosporin? It will kill the bacteria as well and can be left on during the entire healing process. This will make sure no bacteria is missed and prevent infections from setting up on the wound.

I have to say that this may just possibly squeeze in at number 10 in my 'Top Ten Tic Based Discussions of all Time'.

Well done people. Be proud.

I remember most things that matter.

"You don't leave it on there for two days; just enough time to loosen the head and destroy all the bacteria. What works better than H2O2 to do that? "

So you want to know what destroys bacteria and loosens the head better than H2O2? Bleach and a wire brush would do it.

Unless you want to know what would be best for the health of an animal who just had a tick removed? How about Neosporin? It will kill the bacteria as well and can be left on during the entire healing process. This will make sure no bacteria is missed and prevent infections from setting up on the wound.
Bleach and a wire brush would never be recommended by a health professional. Are you guessing about the Neosporin? If so you're wrong, since it would leave a part of the insect in. *shrug*

Bleach and a wire brush would never be recommended by a health professional. Are you guessing about the Neosporin? If so you're wrong, since it would leave a part of the insect in. *shrug*

And the danger in leaving the insect part in would be what? The danger is in leaving the bacteria in. That is what causes the infection and various diseases. The H2O2 might boil the head loose or it might not. That would depend on how much skin was torn loose and how deeply embedded the head is. (and its actually not the head but a barbed piece the vermin uses to pierce the skin and suck the blood)

And the danger in leaving the insect part in would be what? The danger is in leaving the bacteria in. That is what causes the infection and various diseases. The H2O2 might boil the head loose or it might not. That would depend on how much skin was torn loose and how deeply embedded the head is. (and its actually not the head but a barbed piece the vermin uses to pierce the skin and suck the blood)

The portion is is likely a section of exoskeleton and therefore a resistant to disinfection while loaded internally with bacteria protected by that exoskeleton. Do you have a link where a medical professional suggests leaving this type of crap inside a sealed wound?

I am reminded of a conversation with a dentist friend, lamenting his earlier lecture to his staff about proper use of the autoclave. 'Clean the tools before you place them in the machine, otherwise you end up with tools covered in sterilized crap'.

The portion is is likely a section of exoskeleton and therefore a resistant to disinfection while loaded internally with bacteria protected by that exoskeleton. Do you have a link where a medical professional suggests leaving this type of crap inside a sealed wound?

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCart/pc/tick_head.html

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/39977.htm

which said:

"The tick head has reverse harpoon-like barbs that attach the tick firmly and the mouth has secreted a cement-like substance to hold the mouth parts in place. This accounts for why it is so difficult to remove completely. The head parts really will not get into your body, thankfully. Also, the red bump and itching at the attachment site is just a local reaction to a foreign protein in the skin and not a sign of systemic illness. Another happy fact is that if your husband removed the tick within 7-10 hours of its attachment to you, there is very little chance of the tick transmitting Lyme Disease or any other illness to you.

This is a tough question because there is no standard strategy. You have already waited two weeks. So you can keep waiting, disinfecting the site with alcohol or betadine 2-3 times per day and applying diphenhydramine 2% cream to relieve the itch until the head parts fall out on their own. The other alternative is your husband could attempt removal by first applying detergent to a cotton ball and rubbing it in a circular motion over the mouth parts to loosen the tick cement holding the head in place; then taking a clean needle, wiping it with alcohol, and attempting to lift out the tick head parts. "

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007211.htm

This site cautions to be careful not to leave the head in, but makes no mention of H2O2. It recommends antibiotic ointment.

So I have found sites that recommend seeking medical attention and sites that say the body will encapsulate it if it i left in the body.

Didn't see any medical sites recommending hydrogen peroxide. And from the description of the cement-like secretions around the head and the barbs, it wouldn't do th etrick anyway.

This is seriously entertaining, I mean, an argument over the best removal process of a leftover tick head. It's magically fun to read all about, you should make it a mini-series or maybe a reality show where each week we'll bring in a different tick infested dog and contestants can sit around all night getting mad at the blue team because they won immunity, glaring and mumbling about camphophenique and how it was cheating, and how last week's dog didn't have a hat.

It would be riveting.

This is seriously entertaining, I mean, an argument over the best removal process of a leftover tick head. It's magically fun to read all about, you should make it a mini-series or maybe a reality show where each week we'll bring in a different tick infested dog and contestants can sit around all night getting mad at the blue team because they won immunity, glaring and mumbling about camphophenique and how it was cheating, and how last week's dog didn't have a hat.

It would be riveting.

Methinks thou dost protest our bickering!

Ok, I get it. Too much tick info? At least I didn't post pictures of festering sores.

Methinks thou dost protest our bickering!

Ok, I get it. Too much tick info? At least I didn't post pictures of festering sores.
Don't mind me... I'm riveted... I just have to know if H2O2 or neosporin is the best method or whether you even need to remove it! Carry on, by all means!

http://www.bigdogboutique.com/ProductCart/pc/tick_head.html

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/39977.htm

which said:

"The tick head has reverse harpoon-like barbs that attach the tick firmly and the mouth has secreted a cement-like substance to hold the mouth parts in place. This accounts for why it is so difficult to remove completely. The head parts really will not get into your body, thankfully. Also, the red bump and itching at the attachment site is just a local reaction to a foreign protein in the skin and not a sign of systemic illness. Another happy fact is that if your husband removed the tick within 7-10 hours of its attachment to you, there is very little chance of the tick transmitting Lyme Disease or any other illness to you.

This is a tough question because there is no standard strategy. You have already waited two weeks. So you can keep waiting, disinfecting the site with alcohol or betadine 2-3 times per day and applying diphenhydramine 2% cream to relieve the itch until the head parts fall out on their own. The other alternative is your husband could attempt removal by first applying detergent to a cotton ball and rubbing it in a circular motion over the mouth parts to loosen the tick cement holding the head in place; then taking a clean needle, wiping it with alcohol, and attempting to lift out the tick head parts. "

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007211.htm

This site cautions to be careful not to leave the head in, but makes no mention of H2O2. It recommends antibiotic ointment.

So I have found sites that recommend seeking medical attention and sites that say the body will encapsulate it if it i left in the body.

Didn't see any medical sites recommending hydrogen peroxide. And from the description of the cement-like secretions around the head and the barbs, it wouldn't do th etrick anyway.

Be aware not to severe the head and leaving it embedded into the skin, because that can cause infection of a dog disease, as is also possible from the puncture left when a tick is removed. It is therefore advisable to reapply alcohol or iodine to the area. In cases where a tick’s head breaks off remaining embedded into the skin, apply hydrogen peroxide to the area and that ensures total neutralization of any ill-effects.
http://www.humanslovedogs.com/how-to-remove-a-dog-tick/

Pppfffttt...

Oh I thought you were asking for information from a "medical professional".

I didn't know you wanted info from people who just love dogs and have grew up on farms.

But how about this?

Hydrogen Peroxide is the absolute best agent to use on any spot after removing a tick. It will disinfect the wound, remove bug parts, kill all foriegn agents, and create a sterile environment for healing.

Anyone who uses anything less should be punished for animal abuse.

How is that?

Oh I thought you were asking for information from a "medical professional".

I didn't know you wanted info from people who just love dogs and have grew up on farms.

But how about this?

Hydrogen Peroxide is the absolute best agent to use on any spot after removing a tick. It will disinfect the wound, remove bug parts, kill all foriegn agents, and create a sterile environment for healing.

Anyone who uses anything less should be punished for animal abuse.

How is that?

Your cited opinion was based on the tick being in place for two weeks. anyone who would leave on there that long should be punished for animal abuse.

Your cited opinion was based on the tick being in place for two weeks. anyone who would leave on there that long should be punished for animal abuse.

Try reading the info on the link again and get back to me.

Back