A brief history of Hell

The very concept of sin is a difficult one to define, as well.

"It takes a village to raise a child". Would you agree that it would be not in the best interests of the child to ignore and/or neglect them? If you and I were on a village council deciding upon mutually agreeable rules with violations of those rules deemed "sins", would you and I agree that neglecting the village's children is a "sin"?

"Society has made us selfish, vicious, weak, arrogant, and unnatural. We blame God for the ills by which we are surrounded, but we are the authors of these evils, misusing the freedom of will which God honored us "

Jean Jacques Rousseau

"It takes a village to raise a child". Would you agree that it would be not in the best interests of the child to ignore and/or neglect them? If you and I were on a village council deciding upon mutually agreeable rules with violations of those rules deemed "sins", would you and I agree that neglecting the village's children is a "sin"?
Sin is a religious concept.

"Society has made us selfish, vicious, weak, arrogant, and unnatural. We blame God for the ills by which we are surrounded, but we are the authors of these evils, misusing the freedom of will which God honored us "

Jean Jacques Rousseau

The God believers are the problem.

If it is good, God did it. If it is bad, Humans did it.

Crappy theology.

We could probably agree on a set of rules. Those are pretty simple. In fact, the 10 Commandments hit on most.

Don’t lie
Don’t cheat
Don’t murder
Don’t be jealous
Don’t screw the neighbor’s spouse

That sort of thing.

However, deciding on the punishment is an entirely different matter.

Yeah, but one can interchange the word with “breaking the rules.”

With Christians, the sin concept has consequences for that afterlife thing. Those of us who reject that concept also reject the concept of sin.

'My God told me to tell you that you are a sinner.' Bad theology.

We could probably agree on a set of rules. Those are pretty simple. In fact, the 10 Commandments hit on most.

Don’t lie
Don’t cheat
Don’t murder
Don’t be jealous

That sort of thing.

Exactly. In primitive societies, it's important to have mutually agreed upon and set rules be it the Code of Hammurabi, the Bible or anything else.

Punishment in primitive societies was usually banishment, often a death sentence. In City-States, executions and imprisonment were often used by TPTB to set examples. Why else leave a body hanging on a gate until it rots or putting heads on stakes?

Don’t lie
Don’t cheat
Don’t murder
Don’t be jealous

That sort of thing.

Any of those can be refuted.

You should lie to those asking for information about how to harm someone.

I don’t. I don’t believe in “sin”. I call it a failure against the community.

Po-ta-to, Pa-Tah-to. Verbiage.

The point being that all human societies need mutually agreed upon rules and a means to resolve disputes or violations of those rules.

Yeah, but one can interchange the word with “breaking the rules.”

With Christians, the sin concept has consequences for that afterlife thing. Those of us who reject that concept also reject the concept of sin.
Correct, sin is the failure to follow God’s laws. I don’t believe the Abrahamic religions concept of “god”, so I do not believe there are laws from a god or that we can fail to follow them.

Po-ta-to, Pa-Tah-to. Verbiage.

The point being that all human societies need mutually agreed upon rules and a means to resolve disputes or violations of those rules.
No, it’s not. Sin is the concept of failing to follow the laws of a god.

Societies do need laws, but sin is not breaking societies laws, sin is breaking god’s law. They don’t tell you in court that you have sinned.

Back