A Theology Question

Given or developed per the rules of the Universe. Regardless, results count and you're correct; no squirrels, dogs or other creatures are capable of thinking "this deeply and abstractly".

Indian religious ethics and philosophy are very advanced and sophisticated, scholars can spend years studying them.

I had to get one of those 'annotated and explained' scholarly translations of the Bhagavad-Gita to really get a lot out of it.

I don't think the theory that Homo sapiens since the Axial Age have the exact same ethics as dogs, squirrels, and Neanderthals would even be accepted as a doctoral dissertation at any accredited university.

One out of 27 books of the NT, and not God the Father

Cypress, you are an enigma. You show so much respect for faiths and seem to have read a lot about them, but I'm curious: have you never set foot in a Protestant church or Catholic church? That's literally the ONLY way you could not be familiar with the centrality of the Nicene Creed to the faith.

No one says every single person believes that (as you note the small sect of the Unitarians and some of the Eastern traditions in Christianity do not), but the vast majority of Protestants and Catholics on the planet earth DO. It is critical to the faith. That's why Arius was anathematized 1,700 years ago. Various other dualistic sects were also anathematized by the Church over the centuries to avoid this type of heresy.

How could you not be familiar with this central concept?

One out of 27 books of the NT, and not God the Father

Seriously? I honesty thought you were far more familiar with the history of Christian thought. You cite various famous saints and theologians. I am genuinely curious about your experience with Christianity.

I was once a Christian so when I speak about the faith I kind of have a clue what I'm talking about. I can see that if you only ever READ about it you might have missed some crucial bits.

Seriously? I honesty thought you were far more familiar with the history of Christian thought. You cite various famous saints and theologians. I am genuinely curious about your experience with Christianity.

I was once a Christian so when I speak about the faith I kind of have a clue what I'm talking about. I can see that if you only ever READ about it you might have missed some crucial bits.

You were never a Christian because it’s not something you can just turn off when you want

I am curious why you think you know anything about Christianity!

I don't see Yaweh, God the Father playing a direct and active role in the NT the way he did in Genesis, Exodus, and Job.

But if that's what you see in the New Testament its not worth it to me to parse words.

You were never a Christian because it’s not something you can just turn off when you want

Actually you are, as is your usual way, wrong. I am a pagan. Like most in my (pretty small) community, I was brought up in the Christian church by devout parents. Like many of us, including most atheists, I started to question at an early age why would a "loving" god create so many people, only to cast the vast majority of them into the fires of Hell for not believing the precepts of a single religious sect. Through my teens and young adulthood, I tried out various flavors of Christianity -- Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic, nondenominational fundamentalism, Assembly of God. I also studied Buddhism. My kids were raised as Catholics. Then I found my own path, and am Christian no more.

Say, have you gotten a new date yet for that Rapture you predicted was going to happen in 2017? :laugh:

I believe that Cypress said he attended the Russian/Eastern Orthodox church as a child. I'm not at all familiar with their teachings and don't know if they include the Nicene Creed as part of their liturgy.

Jesus doesn't openly claim to be God incarnate in the Synoptic Gospels. God the Father does not directly speak or directly act in any of the Epistles and Pastoral letters in the New Testament.

Actually you are, as is your usual way, wrong. I am a pagan. Like most in my (pretty small) community, I was brought up in the Christian church by devout parents. Like many of us, including most atheists, I started to question at an early age why would a "loving" god create so many people, only to cast the vast majority of them into the fires of Hell for not believing the precepts of a single religious sect. Through my teens and young adulthood, I tried out various flavors of Christianity -- Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic, nondenominational fundamentalism, Assembly of God. I also studied Buddhism. My kids were raised as Catholics. Then I found my own path, and am Christian no more.

Say, have you gotten a new date yet for that Rapture you predicted was going to happen in 2017? :laugh:

Krishna says as long as you are devoted to a path of righteousness, that is just another way of showing devotion to him. : )

The rapture prediction is just bad Christian theology!

As I said, you were never a Christian

And nobody can predict the rapture because God tells us nobody will know when it’s coming

I believe that Cypress said he attended the Russian/Eastern Orthodox church as a child. I'm not at all familiar with their teachings and don't know if they include the Nicene Creed as part of their liturgy.

EO also has a Trinitarian doctrine.

I don't read the bible as a Christian. I read it as a piece of literature, a literary work. God the father does not speak or directly act in any of the Epistles or Pastoral letters in the New Testament. In the Synoptic Gospels, Jesus never claims to be God incarnate during his ministery, although he seems to have a lesser status during his lifetime as son of man or son of God.

Krishna says as long as you are devoted to a path of righteousness, that is just another way of showing devotion to him. : )

The rapture prediction is just bad Christian theology!

The rapture is irrelevant to a real Christian because it changes nothing for us

It will signify some bad stuff coming for those left behind however

I need to get used to the fact that fake Christians are just going to lie their asses off to me

TBH, I think Tink is a few coconuts short of a luau.

tenor.gif

As I said, you were never a Christian

And nobody can predict the rapture because God tells us nobody will know when it’s coming

Proof you think God isn't all merciful and all loving. I think you are confusing God with the Dark Lord; the angry, hateful one.

The rapture is irrelevant to a real Christian because it changes nothing for us

It will signify some bad stuff coming for those left behind however

Lying and deception are among the worst sins possible

Far worse than being homosexual. Being homosexual doesn't even make into the Ten Commandments, whereas lying does.

Your habit of lying on this forum is a deeper reflection on your character. And being an unrepentant liar is usually taken to be a sign you have not actually recieved God's grace and salvation, no matter how much you want to believe you have.

Back