Another art school closes.

Fine by me. Parker and Sons (the "Melvins after one of their commercials) quoted this customer $8,000 to do this job. I quoted them $4,000. Materials, permits, etc., were less than $1000 my cost and if I charge them $100 an hour for my time I won't hit $4000 in costs.

I've gone behind their so-called professional technicians fixing their fuck ups more than once.
No one gives a shit.

You're mistaken. I don't do Micky D's back from side work. I prefer the taco trucks. Better food, better prices, better people.

As for work, tomorrow I'm doing a service panel install in N. Phoenix. I'll clear nearly $1500 for a day's work on that job. Trades pay, liberal arts don't as you can attest to since you work at Micky D's.
Yep. Money is the most important thing in the universe.

Fine by me. Parker and Sons (the "Melvins after one of their commercials) quoted this customer $8,000 to do this job. I quoted them $4,000. Materials, permits, etc., were less than $1000 my cost and if I charge them $100 an hour for my time I won't hit $4000 in costs.

I've gone behind their so-called professional technicians fixing their fuck ups more than once.
Still don't believe you.

Look, I adore artists, I simply dont think that an art degree is useful for much beyond being a shill for fraudulent modern art or to become an unpaid lackey at a museum.
Let's say a person who got an art degree and couldn't find employment as a graphic artist (though there are more jobs in it than you might think) so, because they liked art materials and supplies, got a job at Hobby Lobby or Michael's Crafts or Joanne's Fabrics which has a big art supplies section, or any other of a number of similar stores.

If they work hard and take any management courses the company offers, in a few years they could become a store manager and eventually a district manager, etc.

IOW, it's not the degree, it's the person.

Something Trumpers don't seem to get.

Let's say a person who got an art degree and couldn't find employment as a graphic artist (though there are more jobs in it than you might think) so, because they liked art materials and supplies, got a job at Hobby Lobby or Michael's Crafts or Joanne's Fabrics which has a big art supplies section, or any other of a number of similar stores.

If they work hard and take any management courses the company offers, in a few years they could become a store manager and eventually a district manager, etc.

IOW, it's not the degree, it's the person.

Something Trumpers don't seem to get.
Mind Mush.

Being or "calling" yourself an artist is just fine IMO. Just dont ask me or any other citizen to pay your way is all. YOU chose that life so YOU pay for it. If you cant make any money at it to sustain yourself that would be your problem, not mine, as YOU willfully chose that path. Hey,....you want to spend your day flinging paint at a wall at random and calling it art,...knock yourself out. Go right ahead. But when you find yourself living under a bridge with no means of support,....do not cry to me. YOU CHOSE THE LIFE. Great artists make great money,....shitty artists starve for one reason and one reason alone,....your work is not marketable,...nobody wants it.

Am I the only one surprised by the fact that there was 1 employee for every 1.6 students at this school? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that finances may have been a significant factor in the closure.

Being or "calling" yourself an artist is just fine IMO. Just dont ask me or any other citizen to pay your way is all. YOU chose that life so YOU pay for it. If you cant make any money at it to sustain yourself that would be your problem, not mine, as YOU willfully chose that path. Hey,....you want to spend your day flinging paint at a wall at random and calling it art,...knock yourself out. Go right ahead. But when you find yourself living under a bridge with no means of support,....do not cry to me. YOU CHOSE THE LIFE. Great artists make great money,....shitty artists starve for one reason and one reason alone,....your work is not marketable,...nobody wants it.
Where do you people come up with this shit???? 🙄

Most artists who aren't able to support themselves with it, supplement their art income with other employment.

What could you possibly have against that???

What kind of brainwashed indoctrination have you Trumpers subjected yourselves to, that you make these idiotic assumptions about people who don't fit your blue collar, good ol'boy mold?

And honestly I can't even blame Trump for that because right-wingers were fucked up in the head before he came along.

The fallout was immediate and painfully familiar to instructors in the struggling world of arts education, where dozens of respected schools have closed over the last decade. The University of the Arts closure would affect 1,149 students and nearly 700 employees total, but it was also the second major Philadelphia arts institution this year to end its programs. In January, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts said it would stop granting degrees after its 2025 graduating class.
There were too many art only schools. It is better to give students a more balanced education, which is better done in a school with non-art majors.

There were too many art only schools. It is better to give students a more balanced education, which is better done in a school with non-art majors.
Don't agree. Most professional artists went to an art academy.

They don't need a degree in art to do it however...

5f7ded262b5ce.jpeg
I am a huge supporter of trade schools, but there are no 25 year olds with trade "degrees" that are in the top 1%.

The top 1% has $819,324 or more income. Even if a trade school graduate had a business, they would need $820k+ in profits (beyond revenue).

A degree would be given by a trade school if it were paired with a college. A trade school not paired with a college would not give a degree. Had he gotten a degree, he would have been able to figure out he is not in the top 1%. It probably would have done him some good.

Back