At What Point?

The fact that the Protestant bible, the Catholic bible, the bibles of the Eastern Orthodox faiths are slightly different from each other (in their Old Testaments) proves that humans were making the decisions about canonical scripture.
Definitely true for the protestant book. I barely consider that a bible. That's was nothing but man made. The differences between the western and eastern churches is insignificant.

Claiming the bible is totally inerrant is Protestant theology. Protestants are a minority of world Christianity, and Protestants didn't even exist 600 years ago.

Funny. Militant atheists get mad when I highlight which parts of the NT I think are actually historically valid, and Holy Rollers get mad at me if I don't agree the bible is totally inerrant.
nice backpedal to "inerrant".

Catholics say the Bible is the word of God.

Jews say the old testament is the word of God.

islamics say the koran is the word of God.

your argument about "only protestants say it" is complete horse-shit.

you repeating it doesn't make it true, fucktoid.

this is why you're losing.

Pope calls for Church to rediscover the Word of God​

facebook sharing button

ppbxviescribe190509
Pope Benedict XVI
David Scott
By David Scott
Vatican City, Nov 11, 2010 / 18:07 pm
Pope Benedict XVI has issued a lofty and impassioned plea for everyone in the Church to rediscover the Bible and to grow in “an ever greater love of the Word of God.”
“We must never forget that all authentic and living Christian spirituality is based on the Word of God proclaimed, accepted, celebrated and meditated upon in the Church.
The Pope’s new apostolic exhortation, “Verbum Domini” (The Word of the Lord), issued Nov. 11, is a book-length response to a special 2008 Synod for Bishops on the Bible and the life of the Church.
In this document, the Pope offers a rich theological reflection on the meaning of the Word of God becoming flesh and the meaning of the Scriptures as the Word of God.

The Pope reaffirms forcefully the Church’s traditional teaching that the Bible is the revealed Word of God written by human authors inspired by the Holy Spirit. He notes that it conveys not just moral and spiritual truths but also truths about “the reality of human history.”
“The history of salvation is not mythology, but a true history,” the Pope said.

Definitely true for the protestant book. I barely consider that a bible. That's was nothing but man made. The differences between the western and eastern churches is insignificant.
Right, so there are minor differences between the Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox bibles which can only reasonably be explained by humans deciding which scripture is canonical.

Martin Luther famously hated the Epistle of James because it seemed to contradict his justification by faith alone doctrine, and wanted it tossed out of the NT, ultimately deciding to demote it by moving it to the end of the NT.

On the flip side, the Catholics clearly and unambiguously accept James as canonical

He's agreement tends to reduces error and strengths the signal as you mockingly describe it. Ultimately however one authority must exist and Jesus bestowed that onto Peter.
Which books of the Bible did Peter author? And how active was Peter in the councils about 300 years later that codified the books of the Bible?

Right, so there are minor differences between the Protestant, Catholic, and Orthodox bibles which can only reasonably be explained by humans deciding which scripture is canonical.

Martin Luther famously hated the Epistle of James because it seemed to contradict his justification by faith alone doctrine, and wanted it tossed out of the NT, ultimately deciding to demote it by moving it to the end of the NT.

On the flip side, the Catholics clearly and unambiguously accept James as canonical
The protestant Bible is a perversion of the actual bible. Luther was the prototype of today's American leftist. The bible didn't suit the narrative be was pushing so he just took out and edited stuff he didn't like.

The problem is he was right that the church needed reform but like todays leftists he took himself too seriously. BTW here's what Luther ultimately thought about the reformation.

The fact that the Protestant bible, the Catholic bible, the bibles of the Eastern Orthodox faiths are slightly different from each other (in their Old Testaments) proves that humans were making the decisions about canonical scripture.
An excellent point certain to fly over or be ignored by MAGAts….mostly because they think God handed the complete Bible to mankind written in English…..MAGAts aren’t very smart and are poorly educated.

Though there are hundreds of versions and translations of the Bible, the KJV is the most popular. According to market research firm Statistica, as of 2017, more than 31% of Americans read the KJV, with the New International Version coming in second place, at 13%. Five large denominations of Christianity — Baptist, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Latter-day Saints and Pentecostal — use the KJV today.

I have consistently said Protestants are unique by their sola scriptura doctrine which means

you keep running away from what you originally wrote.

You originally said:

"God wrote the bible."

The plain English meaning of that is crystal clear.

You can backpedal and claim that's not what you really meant. Men wrote the bible. But even "the word of God" coming to men as divine inspiration is still a revelation mediated by fallible humans who were writing the gospels and epistles.

I have consistently said Protestants are unique by their sola scriptura doctrine which means

you keep running away from what you originally wrote.

You originally said:

"God wrote the bible."

The plain English meaning of that is crystal clear.

You can backpedal and claim that's not what you really meant. Men wrote the bible. But even "the word of God" coming to men as divine inspiration is still a revelation mediated by fallible humans who were writing the gospels and epistles.
you're nitpicking.

word of God is essentially the same.

inspired by God is essentially the same.

Your "uniqueness of protestant literalism" theory is made up trash.

As previously stated the books weren't chosen based on the author. Again irrelevant
We are talking about the creation of the canon so it is quite relevant. Peter's first and second epistles are considered by many scholars to be pseudepigraphical (ie Peter didn't write it).

The Canon was not developed and finalized until hundreds of years after Peter's presumed existence so he could not have been involved in selecting it for the Canon either.

It kinda sounds like it is EXACTLY relevant.

The protestant Bible is a perversion of the actual bible. Luther was the prototype of today's American leftist. The bible didn't suit the narrative be was pushing so he just took out and edited stuff he didn't like.

The problem is he was right that the church needed reform but like todays leftists he took himself too seriously. BTW here's what Luther ultimately thought about the reformation.

Oh, so now we're down to saying your particular version of Christianity is correct, and all the others are wrong.

That sounds to me like an admission that humans were indeed deciding for themselves which scripture was canonical, except for your particular version of Christianity which somehow got all the right answers directly from God.

An excellent point certain to fly over or be ignored by MAGAts….mostly because they think God handed the complete Bible to mankind written in English…..MAGAts aren’t very smart and are poorly educated.

Though there are hundreds of versions and translations of the Bible, the KJV is the most popular. According to market research firm Statistica, as of 2017, more than 31% of Americans read the KJV, with the New International Version coming in second place, at 13%. Five large denominations of Christianity — Baptist, Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Latter-day Saints and Pentecostal — use the KJV today.
LOL at God handed the bible down to humans of late antiquity!

I personally don't think it harms or diminishes Christianity at all to say humans chose which scripture was canonical, and the revelation of sacred scripture was mediated through fallible humans who wrote the gospels and epistles.

That sounds to me like an admission that humans were indeed deciding for themselves which scripture was canonical, except for your particular version of Christianity which somehow got all the right answers directly from God.
Jews also claim they got all their truth directly from God.

so do Muslims.

this is the nature of religions.

why do you have such a hard on for Christians?

Oh, so now we're down to saying your particular version of Christianity is correct, and all the others are wrong.

No but protestantism is a perverted version of it. The two solas are evidence of that. They claim to be rooted in Scripture but neither of the solas they espouse are biblical.

I told you already the protestant Bible is a humanly constructed bible. Do with that what you will but that's what it is. It stands in direct opposition to what was accepted for 1500.years as Scripture

Back