Atheists: a 5 year old is on her deathbed....

The bottom line question is: Are there any gods...or are there none.

My answer is...I do not know and I can think of no way I can know.

More specifically:

I do not know if gods exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...that the existence of gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

What is yours?

Good for you, Frank.

The Christian god? That one who is supposedly omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent? Nope. Nowhere to be found. Until there's ANY evidence that entity exists, it doesn't. Like a unicorn or Santa Claus.

"The Christisn god is supposedly omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent. Like it or not, Epicurus destroys that concept. "

That does not establish there are no gods. It does not even establish that the "Christian" (Jewish) GOD does not exist.

It may (just, may) establish that some of the attributes of the god as given by the Jews and Christians...are not properly stated.

The meme is an absurdity.

Frank,

RELAX!

Epicurus is addressing the Christian god, not Q.

You're a clown who visits local children's hospitals, trying to bring a little joy into the lives of sick and dying children. One day, a 5 year old girl asks you if she will go to Heaven when she dies. What do you say to her?

you simply say

Im a silly clown

ask your religious leader

Would you confirm the expectations of a dying atheist child?
No, you would lie to them as well.
You live to lie.

You want me to prove that a fairytale is a fairytale?
Meh.

This has nothing to do with how I live or my beliefs.

This has to do with comforting a dying child and not ADDING to their suffering.

Grow the fuck up and realize that not everything in this world, revolves around you.

:facepalm::

Good for you, Frank.

The Christian god? That one who is supposedly omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent? Nope. Nowhere to be found. Until there's ANY evidence that entity exists, it doesn't. Like a unicorn or Santa Claus.

people used to believe in the craken

then we learned more

there are no gods or monsters

https://www.google.com/search?q=copout&oq=copout&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You know it is the former and you are too noncommittal to acknowledge it.
I suspect you have someone in your life who believes in magical beings and afterlife fantasies, and you are afraid of hurting their feelings if you told what you really think, so you pretend you don't know.
It's not uncommon.
Facts don't care about anyone's feelings.

And there you have it folks.

Leon doesn't care about a dying 5 year old's feelings.

How compassionate and PC. :palm:

You're a clown who visits local children's hospitals, trying to bring a little joy into the lives of sick and dying children. One day, a 5 year old girl asks you if she will go to Heaven when she dies. What do you say to her?

post one

why would she ask a clown instead of all the Drs and nurses and her family?

Frank, it’s merely a hypothetical. Do I believe I’m lying when I tell a five year old she’s going to heaven? Yep.

I’m also lying when I tell her about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. So, where’s the harm?

Exactly.

This isn't about the person being asked the question, it's about the worries of a scared dying 5 year old.

I know you thought this would be a mind pretzel that would stump liberals, but that thought would only occur to someone of limited imagination and low educational level.

That answer to this is easy, and does not even take a nanosecond to prepare for.

First, you should never lie to anyone - children least of all. To the dying we owe the truth, first and foremost. My response to a child in in this specific context is that a lot of people think you are going somewhere wonderful when your body expires. That is both a tactful and honest answer in that context. An answer that respects both the child and myself.

You're trying to use a logical copout with a 5 YEAR OLD and expecting her to have the same reasoning power as an adult.

SHE'S 5 YEARS OLD and her knowledge of the world and everything else is limited and seen through the eyes of a 5 year old.

It's obvious that some of you, in your strive to be so enlightened, have lost your humanity and compassion and would be happy to tell her:
"NAH; they just stick you in a box, bury you in a deep dark hole, and then you just rot away like that dead cat you saw."

:facepalm:

I don't often disagree with you, Cypress...but I do here.

The answer to the hypothetical from a 5 year old child...is, "Yes."

It makes no difference if the answer is correct or incorrect. (It truly cannot be a lie...because you can be no more sure there is no Heaven...than a theist can be sure there is one.)

It would a travesty to try to be philosophical with a dying youngster...and my guess is a dying youngster would see through the "a lot of people think you are going somewhere wonderful" stuff.

A child asking this is begging for a 'YES!"

In my opinion, anyone who thinks he/she would not give that answer really needs to do a major introspection.

On this, we agree.

:hand:

you simply say

Im a silly clown

ask your religious leader

Fuck you Desh.

You have relinquished any right to ever say anything about how anyone else treats children, you fucking hypocritical, foreskin eating, cum drinking, bitch.

There, I feel better now.

Back