Atheists more Intelligent

actually it has more to do with critical thinking skills. A belief is based on a lack of proof/evidence

The idea that religious people lack critical thinking skills is completely bogus. You can do both. Some Christians are more God-fearing than humble Christian. That is where you get a lot of the droned out ignorance and condemnation in what is supposed to be a doctrine of selfless compassion. It makes sense since fear is the antithesis to complex thought.

The idea that religious people lack critical thinking skills is completely bogus. You can do both. Some Christians are more God-fearing than humble Christian. That is where you get a lot of the droned out ignorance and condemnation in what is supposed to be a doctrine of selfless compassion. It makes sense since fear is the antithesis to complex thought.

you cant believe in god and have critical thinking skills, nope, no way

18 For the [g]message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.”

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the [h]disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the [j]Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

^Folks, circularity at its best.

Atheists are fools. No doubt.;)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus

you cant believe in god and have critical thinking skills, nope, no way

And you just showed yourself to lack the critical thinking your complaining about due to the same droned out ignorance and condemnation I mentioned. It does it to them and it did it to you. Way to let prejudice reign on high and control your thinking.

From the same publication:

"A new study has suggested that atheism is doomed because religious people have higher rates of reproduction.
Due to their lack of belief in contraception, religious believers are having more children than atheists, which could ultimately result in the end of atheism, the study suggests.
The findings fly in the face of popular discourse - and scientists’ predictions - which implies fewer and fewer people are religious nowadays."

Does this mean there will be less smart people?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/atheists-dying-out-contraception-claims-study-a7626846.html

From the same publication:

"A new study has suggested that atheism is doomed because religious people have higher rates of reproduction.
Due to their lack of belief in contraception, religious believers are having more children than atheists, which could ultimately result in the end of atheism, the study suggests.
The findings fly in the face of popular discourse - and scientists’ predictions - which implies fewer and fewer people are religious nowadays."

Does this mean there will be less smart people?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/atheists-dying-out-contraception-claims-study-a7626846.html

That’s interesting but I find it difficult to believe atheists will go away just as religion won’t go away either. Anecdotal but I’m sure we all know people who grew up in religious households but turned away from religion at some point. And then people like my (very left wing) Pastor who grew up in an atheist household.

What’s also interesting but not discussed is the racial dimension here. Who are the most religious folks in the U.S.? Black people. Hispanics may be next then white people then Asians if I read the Pew numbers accurately.

Sort of a conundrum for atheist white liberals who want to rip on evangelical white Christians but not call out the black community.

Disregarding that a 2017 article shouldn't be in the "Current Events" forum, what does this, and 53 out of 63 historic studies finding “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” mean to you?

First, notice all the links say "intelligence and religiosity". No mention of atheists, spirituality or anything except brick and mortar religions. So, in short, the more firmly someone clings to a ritualistic beliefs of an established religion, the less likely they'll have a high IQ. Is this how you read it too, Katzgar?

If you agree, no need to reply.

That’s interesting but I find it difficult to believe atheists will go away just as religion won’t go away either. Anecdotal but I’m sure we all know people who grew up in religious households but turned away from religion at some point. And then people like my (very left wing) Pastor who grew up in an atheist household.

What’s also interesting but not discussed is the racial dimension here. Who are the most religious folks in the U.S.? Black people. Hispanics may be next then white people then Asians if I read the Pew numbers accurately.

Sort of a conundrum for atheist white liberals who want to rip on evangelical white Christians but not call out the black community.
Agreed. Both Stalin and Mao murdered millions in an attempt stamp out religion. Until there is a mind-reading ray, no dictatorship will be able to remove beliefs...and atheism is a belief regardless if they admit it or not.

I laughed when you posted it as a source.

Intelligent people know that regardless of the source, what is important is whether or not the information it contains is accurate. In this case, just using it as a jumping off point to search "Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model" is enough. Even so, it's important to read the studies themselves and not the hyperbole reporters or commenters say about the study. Note my previous comment that "atheist" isn't noted in the study. A person can lack of all religiosity but still believe in an almighty power.

The OP link: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...leverness-a7742766.html?utm_source=reddit.com
The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god.

A 2013 analysis by University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 historic studies.

A negative correlation between intelligence and religion makes sense if religion is considered an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts, say researchers Edward Dutton and Dimitri van der Linden in their new paper published today.

Epicurus
False: Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
True: If he is able but not willing, then he knows something you do not.....namely, that a life without free will is not worth living......

Then whence cometh evil? From your foolish choices.....

you and Epicurus have been proven to have a false premise......if you are not willing to admit your error, why call you anything other than a fool.......

that you are a moron? yes that is self evident

My statement was that YOU are a fool. Therefore my answer was directed at YOU. The proof YOU asked for regarding YOURself is that it's self-evident that YOU are a fool. YOU are the 'self'.
YOU are the best evidence of YOUR foolishness.:clink:

Epicurus
Epicurus was from a much simpler time with a much simpler audience.

The link discusses the issue from a more modern POV: https://www.britannica.com/topic/problem-of-evil

A variety of arguments have been offered in response to the problem of evil, and some of them have been used in both theodicies and defenses. One argument, known as the free will defense, claims that evil is caused not by God but by human beings, who must be allowed to choose evil if they are to have free will. This response presupposes that humans are indeed free, and it fails to reckon with natural evil, except insofar as the latter is increased by human factors such as greed or thoughtlessness. Another argument, developed by the English philosopher Richard Swinburne, is that natural evils can be the means of learning and maturing. Natural evils, in other words, can help cultivate virtues such as courage and generosity by forcing humans to confront danger, hardship, and need. Such arguments are commonly supplemented by appeals to belief in a life after death, not just as reward or compensation but as the state in which the point of human suffering and the way in which God brings good out of evil will be made clear. Since many theodicies seem limited (because one can easily imagine a better world), and since many thinkers have not been convinced by the argument that the reality of evil establishes atheism, it is likely that future discussions will attempt to balance the reality of evil against evidence in favour of the existence of God.

I support the free will argument. If life is Kindergarten, then is it evil to punish a child who is causing harm to themselves or others? Is it evil to deny giving them the answers to a quiz but "forcing" them to learn the answers for themselves?

False: Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
True: If he is able but not willing, then he knows something you do not.....namely, that a life without free will is not worth living......

Then whence cometh evil? From your foolish choices.....

you and Epicurus have been proven to have a false premise......if you are not willing to admit your error, why call you anything other than a fool.......

Exactly. God is both willing and able. His full plan has not been made known to human beings .......yet.
This drives unbelievers crazy because they dismiss the value of faith. And, we know that without faith we can not please him.
I have a lot more peace to simply say "They will be done." I'll do my part and God will do his part. It always works out better
when I don't presume to advise him. LOL Just ask JOB how THAT went over when HE tried to!

Back