Atheists more Intelligent

No. If you make a claim, it's not my burden to disprove it. It's your burden to prove it.

To quote Christopher Hitchens, "Claims made without evidence may be dismissed without evidence."

:thinking:

Is your argument regarding Philo an argument based on a lack of evidence??

Yeah, yeah, I am done with you bashing my faith. I am not perfect, no Christian is. I came here to discuss politics, and immediately upon finding out I was a conservative I was bashed relentlessly, so now it is my venting area and comic relief thanks to you! You, to me, are like one of those ankle biting dogs!
What was it you were hoping to discuss??

Did it cross your mind that someone may reply, & Lord forbid disagree w/ you??

That is part of the package & what makes it more than a sharing experience where you share & others listen~it's a two way street........

What was it you were hoping to discuss??

Did it cross your mind that someone may reply, & Lord forbid disagree w/ you??

That is part of the package & what makes it more than a sharing experience where you share & others listen~it's a two way street........

I've never met a Christian who was interested in what I thought.

I feel like the principled atheist would condemn or criticize all religions. Transmigration of the soul and reincarnation as insects is just as far out there as anything in the New Testament.

My theory is that the angry, militant atheist probably had really traumatic experience with Christianity, aka as kids they were dragged to some God awful fundamentalist church and were imbued with that sense of guilt some fundamentalist parents force on kids

And I can totally understand how traumatic or unpleasant that can be.

But it seems to me, that tends to result in an angry, anti-Christian atheism.

Not the principled atheism of detachment from all religious tradition.

A principled person would treat everyone fairly.

Anger, in general, is caused by trauma. As mentioned above, atheists tend to fit a specific demographic: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/06/10-facts-about-atheists/

Among that demographic is 68% male, 78% white and 43% with a college degree. The study doesn't break out the "angry atheist" but likely have the same demographics with the addition of "100% immature". This would go with anyone who is perpetually angry regardless of choice in beliefs, both spiritual and secular.

In the U.S., atheists are mostly men and are relatively young, according to the 2014 Religious Landscape Study. About seven-in-ten U.S. atheists are men (68%). The median age for atheists is 34, compared with 46 for all U.S. adults. Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% vs. 66% of the general public) and highly educated: About four-in-ten atheists (43%) have a college degree, compared with 27% of the general public. Self-identified atheists also tend to be aligned with the Democratic Party and with political liberalism.

People do not believe, because they understand it would mean changing how they live, and would have to quit being selfish, nasty, and liar,s murderers, cheats! They have become their own Gods!
I dunno if that is true, certainly not for all.........

As you said, you fail all the time, as do we all, why would it be laid on them to change their ways when the good practicing ppl aint doing it/can't do it either??

:thinking:

To me, & I could be wrong, that is more akin to the law....

Tho shall not!!!!!

What I find most missing is Love....

Love like Christ loved the church, love thy neighbor as yourself, do unto others etc etc etc :blah:

I dunno, I don't see or hear that, do you?? Certainly do not here..........

A principled person would treat everyone fairly.

Anger, in general, is caused by trauma. As mentioned above, atheists tend to fit a specific demographic: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/12/06/10-facts-about-atheists/

Among that demographic is 68% male, 78% white and 43% with a college degree. The study doesn't break out the "angry atheist" but likely have the same demographics with the addition of "100% immature". This would go with anyone who is perpetually angry regardless of choice in beliefs, both spiritual and secular.

In the U.S., atheists are mostly men and are relatively young, according to the 2014 Religious Landscape Study. About seven-in-ten U.S. atheists are men (68%). The median age for atheists is 34, compared with 46 for all U.S. adults. Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% vs. 66% of the general public) and highly educated: About four-in-ten atheists (43%) have a college degree, compared with 27% of the general public. Self-identified atheists also tend to be aligned with the Democratic Party and with political liberalism.

Interesting statistics.

There is a PhD thesis waiting for someone who can explain why young white men men are disproportionately represented in atheism.

I tend to hold the atheism of Richard Feynman, Carl Sagan, and Albert Einstein in high regard. I do not believe Christianity, Judaism, or Hinduism ever made them angry. And even these preeminent physicists were not strict, dogmatic atheists. They held out the possibility of a reality and knowlege which were beyond the reach of human reason and scientific experimentation

There are principled atheists on this forum, who hold a principled, reserved and detached posture to religion.

There are the angry atheists who take great pleasure and glee giggling about zombie Jesus, or reserve all of their hostility and vitriol for Christianity. And Christianity only

Those are just observable facts which can be verified by anyone who has been on this board for more than two years.

I only provided an answer to your question about why some atheists seemed angry. I do not expect you to accept my opinion.

As for me personally, I have been on this board for years and have criticized both bible thumpers and atheists when I thought it was merited.

I do not really have a team I feel I have to conform to.

I don't give a fuck about this troll-haven you call a forum. I'm talking about atheists in the world.

Apparently you're of a very small mind.

The religious folk on the thread are mostly making personal attacks on others.

All in their crusade to cast us all as "angry" and of a certain ideological and racial demographic.

Christians grouping people into cohorts and hating them as one? Perish the thought! That's totally not like them!

Interesting statistics.

There is a PhD thesis waiting for someone who can explain why young white men men are disproportionately represented in atheism.

Uh, don't look now, but white men are also disproportionately christian.

I tend to hold the atheism of Richard Feynman, Carl Sagan, and Albert Einstein in high regard. I do not believe Christianity, Judaism, or Hinduism ever made them angry. And even these preeminent physicists were not strict, dogmatic atheists. They held out the possibility of a reality and knowlege which were beyond the reach of human reason and scientific experimentation

"Holding out the possibility" is the polite way of saying "you have zero evidence to support this fantasy, and we'll be polite and pat you on the head as we talk about more important matters."

I see you'd prefer that your silly ideas be placated, rather than believed.

What's the title of the PhD thesis that will explain your banal condescension?

its such a great story.

the king: I want a divorce!

the church: no.

the king: well I'm starting my own church. and it's like yours, but WITH divorce.

the church: :tardthoughts:

They kept many of the same costumes, teachings, hymns etc...........

Some good came from it as well....

John Wesley~Wilberforce & the movements to ban/outlaw slavery as an example.......

Although I did find it odd the American (Methodist) circuit riders sold whiskey to make ends meet & those in the south supported slavery~go figure..

They kept many of the same costumes, teachings, hymns etc...........

Some good came from it as well....

John Wesley~Wilberforce & the movements to ban/outlaw slavery as an example.......

Although I did find it odd the American (Methodist) circuit riders sold whiskey to make ends meet & those in the south supported slavery~go figure..

it's actually my faith tradition. but now im a nondemoninational JesuBuddhist.

they're kind of snoot.

Yes.
99 percent sure they are an offshoot of the Church of England, aka Anglicans -- the original English Protestants

100 percent sure their legacy can be traced to the Protestant Reformation

I see what you're saying. I think most consider the first to be luther though. don't ask me why. maybe we just don't speak ill of the king in that fashion?

Uh, don't look now, but white men are also disproportionately christian.

"Holding out the possibility" is the polite way of saying "you have zero evidence to support this fantasy, and we'll be polite and pat you on the head as we talk about more important matters."

I see you'd prefer that your silly ideas be placated, rather than believed.

What's the title of the PhD thesis that will explain your banal condescension?

Asking why statistics show that young white men are disproportionately represented in atheism is a perfectly legitimate scientific question, from the perspective of the social sciences.

This legitimate question should not provoke anger from you.

I see what you're saying. I think most consider the first to be luther though. don't ask me why. maybe we just don't speak ill of the king in that fashion?

Luther was the first German Protestant.

My response stated that the Anglican Church of England was the first viable Protestant denomination in England.

Back