Atheists more Intelligent

Yes. Why do you focus on the Evangelicals in particular and why do you think 90% of them support Trump? Are there any members of this forum you consider to be an Evangelical?

White protestants who attend church regularly are evangelicals. I was wrong, it's only 80%.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/pol...ious-identity-2020-presidential-election.aspx

. Exit polls in 2016 reported that 80% of White evangelical Christians voted for Trump;

I don't know nor do I care who the evangelicals are here, but I would define anyone as an evangelical if they believe in the literal truth of the bible (i.e. batshit gullible).

White protestants who attend church regularly are evangelicals. I was wrong, it's only 80%.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/pol...ious-identity-2020-presidential-election.aspx

. Exit polls in 2016 reported that 80% of White evangelical Christians voted for Trump;

I don't know nor do I care who the evangelicals are here, but I would define anyone as an evangelical if they believe in the literal truth of the bible (i.e. batshit gullible).
Thanks for the link. IMO, you should read it before posting it:

White Mainline Protestants are also defined differently by different researchers, but essentially they are White Protestants who identify with Protestant denominations not usually classified as evangelical -- including Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Lutherans and others. In lieu of Protestant denomination data, grouping together White Protestants who are less religious can serve as an effective surrogate for the Mainline category. Either way, this group constitutes about 12% to 18% of the population, and skews toward Trump. Gallup estimates that Trump approval among White non-evangelical Protestants is about 60%, and Pew estimates that 61% of their defined group of White Mainline Protestants would vote for Trump.

What is your solution to this perceived evidence about Evangelicals?

Why is it that you people always call us "angry" when we express rational thought?

Is that just your self-defense mechanism to avoid critical thinking?
Cannot speak for Dutch, but I think the reason militant atheists come across as angry is because your criticisms and condemnations about religion is highly selective - and almost invariably so.

I have yet to see an atheist condemn, ridicule, mock the beliefs of Buddhists, Hindus, Jews. When you think about it, Samsara and the perpetual re-incarnation of the soul (sometimes as a lower life form or even insect), or the Jewish eschatology of an afterlife can sound every bit as irrational as the Christian eschatology.

But for some weird reason, I have yet to see an angry atheist take the time to mock and humiliate the world's three billion Hindus, Buddhists, Jews because of their eschatological beliefs.

Which makes me think that - far from being a detached practitioner of reason - the militant atheist is really angry, specifically at Christianity.

That is emotion, not reason.

I have my own thoughts on the meaning of Scripture, and I bear my own hostility to the political involvement and theocracy of Calvinist bible thumpers.

But I attempt to put the eschatology of all religions faiths on an even playing field, and I eschew reaching a conclusion that the world's five billion Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists are all gullible dupes incapable of reason.

Cannot speak for Dutch, but I think the reason militant atheists come across as angry is because your criticisms and condemnations about religion is highly selective - and almost invariably so.

I have yet to see an atheist condemn, ridicule, mock the beliefs of Buddhists, Hindus, Jews. When you think about it, Samsara and the perpetual re-incarnation of the soul (sometimes as a lower life form or even insect), or the Jewish eschatology of an afterlife can sound every bit as irrational as the Christian eschatology.

But for some weird reason, I have yet to see an angry atheist take the time to mock and humiliate the world's three billion Hindus, Buddhists, Jews because of their eschatological beliefs.

Which makes me think that - far from being a detached practitioner of reason - the militant atheist is really angry, specifically at Christianity.

I have my own thoughts on the meaning of Scripture, and I bear my own hostility to the political involvement and theocracy of Calvinist bible thumpers.

But I attempt to put the eschatology of all religions faiths on an even playing field, and I eschew reaching a conclusion that the world's five billion Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists are all gullible dupes incapable of reason.

Christianity is the predominant religion in the U.S., and is a MAJOR factor in our society's homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. Christians make an unabashed effort to subvert the First Amendment's Establishment Clause in an attempt to codify their silly beliefs.

Jews, Hindus and Buddhists don't travel the world, exporting their religious ideas and evangelizing to other nations (like, for example, Uganda, which thanks to religious imperialism is maybe the most homophobic country in the world).

No, it's not emotional, it's highly rational.

Moreover, most cultural Jews are atheists.

That being said, I find all religions silly. Just not all present the clear and present danger that, say, Christianity and Islam do.

This is well said.

Christianity is the predominant religion in the U.S., and is a MAJOR factor in our society's homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. Jews, Hindus and Buddhists don't travel the world, exporting their religious ideas and evangelizing to other nations (like, for example, Uganda, which thanks to religious imperialism is maybe the most homophobic country in the world).

People like Cyrus cannot comprehend that we are rational and understand his religion. We just reject it.

Thanks for the link. IMO, you should read it before posting it:

White Mainline Protestants are also defined differently by different researchers, but essentially they are White Protestants who identify with Protestant denominations not usually classified as evangelical -- including Episcopalians, Presbyterians, Lutherans and others. In lieu of Protestant denomination data, grouping together White Protestants who are less religious can serve as an effective surrogate for the Mainline category. Either way, this group constitutes about 12% to 18% of the population, and skews toward Trump. Gallup estimates that Trump approval among White non-evangelical Protestants is about 60%, and Pew estimates that 61% of their defined group of White Mainline Protestants would vote for Trump.

What is your solution to this perceived evidence about Evangelicals?

I don't understand what point you're attempting to make, much less this red-herring of a question.

I don't understand what point you're attempting to make, much less this red-herring of a question.

Don't worry about it. The smarter people will figure out that there's a difference between "white protestant" and "Evangelical".

OTOH, it reminds me of an old joke.

Caution: Liberals may be offended and should retreat to their safe-space.
https://www.aish.com/j/j/51475982.html

A Jewish man and a Chinese man are in a bar. Suddenly, the Jewish man punches the Chinese man in the face.

"Ow! Why did you do that?" asks the Chinese man.

"That's for Pearl Harbor," says the Jewish man.

"But the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. I'm Chinese!" says the Chinese man.

"Chinese, Japanese, what's the difference?" asks the Jewish man.

So the Chinese man punches the Jewish man.

"Ow! What's that for?" asks the Jewish man.

"It's for the Titanic," says the Chinese man.

"What? That was an iceberg that brought down the Titanic!" says the Jewish man.

"Iceberg, Goldberg, what's the difference?"

Christianity is the predominant religion in the U.S., and is a MAJOR factor in our society's homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. Christians make an unabashed effort to subvert the First Amendment's Establishment Clause in an attempt to codify their silly beliefs.

Jews, Hindus and Buddhists don't travel the world, exporting their religious ideas and evangelizing to other nations (like, for example, Uganda, which thanks to religious imperialism is maybe the most homophobic country in the world).

That being said, I find all religions silly. Just not all present the clear and present danger that, say, Christianity and Islam do.
Tens of millions of practicing Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims in this nation

Geographical location of religion is irrelevant, if the principle is that religious thought and the religious eschatology of an afterlife, reincarnation, resurrection, or transmigration of the soul is the province of dupes, morons, or those incapable of reason.

The principled atheists will hold the eschatology and doctrine of all religions to the same standard.

The angry atheist reserves their vitriol and mockery specifically for Christianity. And only Christianity.

Bible thumpers, Fundamentalist Calvinists, biblical literalists come in for their fair share of knocks from me.

But I feel the angry atheist should be be honest, and come to terms that they are not practicing a detached, reason-based posture towards human religions. They have let emotion get the upper hand and are specifically angry at Christianity and single it out for mockery and humiliation

Geographical location of religion is irrelevant, if the principle is that religious thought and the religious eschatology of an afterlife, reincarnation, resurrection, or transmigration of the soul is the province of dupes, morons, or those incapable of reason.

The principled atheists will hold the eschatology and doctrine of all religions to the same standard.

The angry atheist reserves their vitriol and mockery specifically for Christianity. And only Christianity.

Bible thumpers, Fundamentalist Calvinists, biblical literalists come in for their fair share of knocks from me.

But I feel the angry atheist should be be honest, and come to terms that they are not practicing a detached, reason-based posture towards human religions. They have let emotion get the upper hand and are specifically angry at Christianity and single it out for mockery and humiliation

Agreed. That is exactly how I've seen it play out online for over 20 years. I don't know why this type of atheist singles out Christianity. My theory is that they are mostly American white males, often upper middle-class and higher who have spent their entire teen years rebelling against their parents and now transfer it to religion. Others focus on hating Republicans or, more rarely, Democrats, but the "atheist" ones focus their angst on Christians.

Notice his conflation of "white Christianity" with "Evangelicals".

And again, none of them picket the Supreme Court demanding that women be treated as baby slaves because their hocus pocus book of fables tells them so (even though the bible actually advocates for abortion; but reading comprehension was never big among that crowd).

Geographical location, on the other hand, is relevant if one's primary objection to religion is its illegal transference from the church sphere to the public sphere. I'm an American citizen, and the First Amendment is among my rights. I expect our country to honor our rights, and that includes the right to be free from religion being codified in secular law. I don't merely say "all religious people are dupes" and end my thoughts there. I believe people should be free to exercise belief in any silly mythos they want, so long as it does not restrict my rights or the rights of others who don't so believe.

Why is this so hard for the Angry Theists to understand?

In a philosophy essay, sure. In the real world, no.

Atheists in the Middle East risk life and limb to insult Islam, so this is demonstrably bullshit. You angry theists need to get out more.

https://www.albawaba.com/slideshow/7-facts-about-atheism-middle-east-may-surprise-you-772218

Stop being such an Angry Theist.

Is this how you typically converse with people? Utterly ignore the point your conversation partner is making, continue with strawman invective, and totally ignore reality? Your religion is among the last reasons to mock you, mockable as you may be.

Last edited:
Agreed. That is exactly how I've seen it play out online for over 20 years. I don't know why this type of atheist singles out Christianity. My theory is that they are mostly American white males, often upper middle-class and higher who have spent their entire teen years rebelling against their parents and now transfer it to religion. Others focus on hating Republicans or, more rarely, Democrats, but the "atheist" ones focus their angst on Christians.

Notice his conflation of "white Christianity" with "Evangelicals".

I feel like the principled atheist would condemn or criticize all religions. Transmigration of the soul and reincarnation as insects is just as far out there as anything in the New Testament.

My theory is that the angry, militant atheist probably had really traumatic experience with Christianity, aka as kids they were dragged to some God awful fundamentalist church and were imbued with that sense of guilt some fundamentalist parents force on kids

And I can totally understand how traumatic or unpleasant that can be.

But it seems to me, that tends to result in an angry, anti-Christian atheism.

Not the principled atheism of detachment from all religious tradition.

I feel the principle atheist would condemn or criticize all religions. Transmigration of the soul and reincarnation as insects is just as far out there as anything in the New Testament.

My theory is that the angry, militant atheist probably had really traumatic experience with Christianity " aka as kids they were dragged to some God awful fundamentalist church and were imbued with that sense of guilt some fundamentalist parents are guilty of.

And I can totally understand how traumatic or unpleasant that can be.

So it really comes down to emotion, not reason.

But it seems to me, that tends to result in an angry, anti-Christian atheism.

Not the principled atheism of detachment from all religious tradition.

Or maybe we're annoyed with the Angry Theists sticking his fingers in his ears and ignoring all the plethora of reasons for atheists to have a problem with widespread acceptance of evangelical lawmaking in the U.S.

Nah? No chance? Just keep going with your "angry little boy" theory even as you preach about being "reasonable"?

What a fucking douche you are.

Or maybe we're annoyed with the Angry Theists sticking his fingers in his ears and ignoring all the plethora of reasons for atheists to have a problem with widespread acceptance of evangelical lawmaking in the U.S.

Nah? No chance? Just keep going with your "angry little boy" theory even as you preach about being "reasonable"?

What a fucking douche you are.

Cyprus is a jerk. I keep him on ignore.

I don't know why idiots like him bother with message boards. They need to just leave themselves voice memos since they're in such deep love with the sounds of their own voices.

About the size of it. Like all religious fundamentalists, either you agree with everything they say or they will condemn you to hell.

And again, none of them picket the Supreme Court demanding that women be treated as baby slaves because their hocus pocus book of fables tells them so (even though the bible actually advocates for abortion; but reading comprehension was never big among that crowd).

Geographical location, on the other hand, is relevant if one's primary objection to religion is its illegal transference from the church sphere to the public sphere. I'm an American citizen, and the First Amendment is among my rights. I expect our country to honor our rights, and that includes the right to be free from religion being codified in secular law. I don't merely say "all religious people are dupes" and end my thoughts there. I believe people should be free to exercise belief in any silly mythos they want, so long as it does not restrict my rights or the rights of others who don't so believe.

Why is this so hard for the Angry Theists to understand?

In a philosophy essay, sure. In the real world, no.

Atheists in the Middle East risk life and limb to insult Islam, so this is demonstrably bullshit. You angry theists need to get out more.

https://www.albawaba.com/slideshow/7-facts-about-atheism-middle-east-may-surprise-you-772218

Stop being such an Angry Theist.

Is this how you typically converse with people? Utterly ignore the point your conversation partner is making, continue with strawman invective, and totally ignore reality? Your religion is among the last reasons to mock you, mockable as you may be.

There are principled atheists on this forum, who hold a principled, reserved and detached posture to religion.

There are the angry atheists who take great pleasure and glee giggling about zombie Jesus, or reserve all of their hostility and vitriol for Christianity. And Christianity only

Those are just observable facts which can be verified by anyone who has been on this board for more than two years.

I only provided an answer to your question about why some atheists seemed angry. I do not expect you to accept my opinion.

As for me personally, I have been on this board for years and have criticized both bible thumpers and atheists when I thought it was merited.

I do not really have a team I feel I have to conform to.

Back