Atheists more Intelligent

You are obviously a product of the fundamentalist Calvinist tradition, and which colors your cynical view of Christianity. The history of Christianity and the scope of Christian theology is far broader than you are aware.

Fundamentalist Christians and militant atheists are invested in wedging the debate between the familiar and comfortable territory between outright theism and outright atheism. Fundamentalists want it to stay wedged there, and militant atheists want it to remain wedged there, because to them this is a kind of war and both sides want to be armed for "victory"

All I can tell you is that there is more to religious skepticism and faith than you are aware of. Christian theologians today, and throughout history, have moved beyond the simplistic, bimodal terrain you have decided to occupy. Anyone who wants to be aware of the rich complexity and texture of theological thought needs to have some rudimentary familiarity of Plato, Aristotle, Saint Augustine, Marx, Kant, Kierkegaard, Nietsche, Hegel, Trancendentalism, liberation theology, et al.

You obviously are an orthodox ideologue whose mind is closed to the rich and complex tradition of Christian theology, natural philosophy, and science - and how there is a substantial amount of common ground in how they collectively and synergistically contributed to human reason and knowlege.

All you do is mention stuff. You're a troll.

You are obviously a product of the fundamentalist Calvinist tradition, and which colors your cynical view of Christianity. The history of Christianity and the scope of Christian theology is far broader than you are aware.

Fundamentalist Christians and militant atheists are invested in wedging the debate between the familiar and comfortable territory between outright theism and outright atheism. Fundamentalists want it to stay wedged there, and militant atheists want it to remain wedged there, because to them this is a kind of war and both sides want to be armed for "victory"

All I can tell you is that there is more to religious skepticism and faith than you are aware of. Christian theologians today, and throughout history, have moved beyond the simplistic, bimodal terrain you have decided to occupy. Anyone who wants to be aware of the rich complexity and texture of theological thought needs to have some rudimentary familiarity of Plato, Aristotle, Saint Augustine, Marx, Kant, Kierkegaard, Nietsche, Hegel, Trancendentalism, liberation theology, et al.

You obviously are an orthodox ideologue whose mind is closed to the rich and complex tradition of Christian theology, natural philosophy, and science - and how there is a substantial amount of common ground in how they collectively and synergistically contributed to human reason and knowlege.
All you do is mention stuff.

You're a troll!
I doubt you actually think I am a troll.

It is clear you go out of your way to read what I am writing.

Wrong. You are very self deluded.

Leaving your insults and monosyllabic grunts aside, I suggest you really strive to learn about the history of western civilization if you ever genuinely desire a sophisticated appreciation for how Christianity, natural philosophy, and science all synergistically contributed to the unique western emphasis on reason, logic, mathematics, scholarly skepticism.

That approach was a unique development of western civilization, and the Christianity of late antiquity and the middle ages played a fundamental role in laying the groundwork for the use of reason and scholarly inquiry in the west. Western science grew out of the Neoplatonism and Aristotelian logic of the Jesuit and Dominican orders, the scholarly theologies of Church fathers, and the Catholic universities of the middle ages.

The premise that there is an inherent, long-standing, and irreconcilable conflict between science and religion is an artificial human construct of the 19th century.

American's concept of science versus religion mainly originates from the Protestant Reformation, with it's emphasis on personal salvation and disregard for natural philosophy. The rise of American Protestant fundamentalism did not help matters, since that denomination of Christianity seems to gravitate to ignorance.

But the bottom line is this: Western civilization and western science owes a deep and profound debt to western Christianity for blazing the trail in resurrecting Greek thought, elevating Platonic reason and Aristotelian logic to the pinnacle of western intellectual tradition, and establishing the principle of higher education by establishing universities.

Wrong. You are very self deluded.
Leaving your insults and monosyllabic grunts aside, I suggest you really strive to learn about the history of western civilization if you ever genuinely desire a sophisticated appreciation for how Christianity, natural philosophy, and science all synergistically contributed to the unique western emphasis on reason, logic, mathematics" scholarly skepticism.

That was a unique development of western civilization, and the Christianity of late antiquity and the middle ages played a fundamental role in laying the groundwork for the use of reason and scholarly inquiry in the west. Western science grew out of the Neoplatonism and Aristotelian logic of the Jesuit and Dominican orders, the scholarly theologies of Church fathers, and the Catholic universities of the middle ages.

The premise that there is an inherent, long-standing, and irreconcilable conflict between science and religion is an artificial human construct of the 19th century.

American's concept of science versus religion mainly originates from the Protestant Reformation" with it's emphasis on personal salvation and disregard for natural philosophy. The rise of American Protestant fundamentalism did not help matters, since that denomination of Christianity seems to gravitate to ignorance.

But the bottom line is this: Western civilization and western science owes a deep and profound debt to western Christianity for blazing the trail in resurrecting Greek thought, elevating Platonic reason and Aristotelian logic to the pinnacle of western intellectual tradition, and establishing the principle of higher education by establishing universities.

Agreed about the past and even the present in general but you and I can see a problem when 38% of Americans believe in anti-science Creationism. Same goes when 20% of Americans disbelieve the science on Climate Change.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx
of1nju2kgeah3c20wrbdca.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2019/11/25/u-s-public-views-on-climate-and-energy/
PS_11.25.19_climate.energy-00-010.png

Agreed about the past and even the present in general but you and I can see a problem when 38% of Americans believe in anti-science Creationism. Same goes when 20% of Americans disbelieve the science on Climate Change.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx
of1nju2kgeah3c20wrbdca.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2019/11/25/u-s-public-views-on-climate-and-energy/
PS_11.25.19_climate.energy-00-010.png

Good point.

Protestant fundamentalism is a breeding ground for stupidity

That kind of ignorance I do not believe is solely religious.

The motivation for climate denial is political and economic, not religious.

I think evolution denial may also be partly religious. Republican politicians who know perfectly well that evolution is an established tenet of science, are afraid to just come out publicly and tell their bible thumping base to stop being dumb asses. Many Christian denominations, including Catholics, accept the tenets of evolution.

I always like to point out that one of the seminal figures in the science of evolution, and widely considered to be the father of genetics, was the Franciscan monk Gregor Mendel.

Hey Cypress,

I am far more learned than you on philosophy and history. If you were not such an arrogant dick you would debate me. As many others have said, you just want to say stuff and ignore everything others say. So, go fuck yourself. You're the least educated person here.

Hey Cypress,

I am far more learned than you on philosophy and history. If you were not such an arrogant dick you would debate me. As many others have said, you just want to say stuff and ignore everything others say. So, go fuck yourself. You're the least educated person here.

ROFLMAO. Dude, if you look up "arrogant dick", you'll see yourself. :)

The fact your entire "debate" is to lie about and curse others means you are exactly as you claim others to be. Is your life really so bad that you act this way? Why not go to college and seek a fulfilling career?

Leaving your insults and monosyllabic grunts aside, I suggest you really strive to learn about the history of western civilization if you ever genuinely desire a sophisticated appreciation for how Christianity, natural philosophy, and science all synergistically contributed to the unique western emphasis on reason, logic, mathematics, scholarly skepticism.

That approach was a unique development of western civilization, and the Christianity of late antiquity and the middle ages played a fundamental role in laying the groundwork for the use of reason and scholarly inquiry in the west. Western science grew out of the Neoplatonism and Aristotelian logic of the Jesuit and Dominican orders, the scholarly theologies of Church fathers, and the Catholic universities of the middle ages.

American's concept of science versus religion mainly originates from the Protestant Reformation, with it's emphasis on personal salvation and disregard for natural philosophy. The rise of American Protestant fundamentalism did not help matters, since that denomination of Christianity seems to gravitate to ignorance.

[Cypress] you're an idiot!
Hey Cypress,

I am far more learned than you on philosophy and history. So, go fuck yourself.

You're the least educated person here!!

You will be hard pressed to find any fair-minded poster here who agrees with your assessment of me.

Lying again. Stop being an arrogant ass and debate others. You keep telling others you know more than everyone. You don't. Not close. Wise up.

Christianity evil
Christianity bad
Christianity does not use reason
Christianity is the enemy of science
Christianity is the enemy of logic
Christianity is responsible for slavery
Christianity is responsible for ignorance.

Those are the premises which have been relentlessly advanced by angry, anti-Christian zealots throughout this thread and others.

My posts directly speak to all those claims in a contextual, holistic, and comprehensive way. You are not the arbiter of what constitutes debate

Christianity evil
Christianity bad
Christianity does not use reason
Christianity is the enemy of science
Christianity is responsible for slavery
Christianity is responsible for ignorance.

Those are the premises which have been relentlessly advanced by angry, anti-Christian zealots throughout this thread and others.

My posts directly speak to all those claims in a contextual and comprehensive way. You are not the arbiter of what constitutes debate

have it your way

ROFLMAO. Dude, if you look up "arrogant dick", you'll see yourself. :)

The fact your entire "debate" is to lie about and curse others means you are exactly as you claim others to be. Is your life really so bad that you act this way? Why not go to college and seek a fulfilling career?

You know what is weird? Almost all the juvenile insults are actually coming from him - aka, I am an idiot, a troll, the least educated person on the board.

You know what is weird? Almost all the juvenile insults are actually coming from him - aka, I am an idiot, a troll, the least educated person on the board.

I know. If he really is 22, he's awfully immature. He won't get very far in life until he does mature.

Agreed about the past and even the present in general but you and I can see a problem when 38% of Americans believe in anti-science Creationism.
You, of all people, should avoid pretending to discuss science. It's not something you just make up on the fly.

There is nothing "anti-science" about the theory of Creationism. Creationism is a wholly unfalsifiable theory so there is no way it can conflict with anything in science.

Same goes when 20% of Americans disbelieve the science on Climate Change.
You got that right. It should be 100%. There isn't any science supporting the Climate Change faith. Only scientifically illiterate morons believe there is science supporting their religion.

Greenhouse Effect, on the other hand, has never been formally specified in any way that does not violate physics.

You, of all people, should avoid pretending to discuss science.....

Sorry, I'm tired and have already spent too much time talking to nutjobs and their "theories" much less sock puppet assholes. Have a nice night, Into the Night.

Sorry, I'm tired and have already spent too much time talking to nutjobs and their "theories" much less sock puppet assholes. Have a nice night, Into the Night.
I didn't ask you to respond ... yet you felt compelled to do so anyway. Apparently you are NOT too tired, probably from the RUDE AWAKENING I gave you! Way too funny!

It's totally awesome living in your head, rent free, knowing that there is absolutely nothing you can do to evict me. I would think that, judging by your vaccuous mind that you would enjoy the company.

Now I know why you picked "sock puppet" as a metaphor. I'll be controlling you from now on.

Back