Austrian economics

why did you pretend this was NOT a defense of the austrian cred for cato?

They are clearly showing that they are open to Austrian economics, but they are not embracing or promoting it specifically. Spend some time at LewRockwell.com (Lew is founder and chairman of the Mises Institute which is specifically Austrian and devoted to promoting those ideas) and you will see them bitterly denouncing Cato and Reason.

You don't have a clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman#Honors.2C_recognition.2C_and_influence

uncle Milty in the end

Austrian School criticism[edit]

In 1971, Austrian School libertarian economist Murray Rothbard criticized Friedman's efforts to make the government more efficient as detrimental to individual liberty, concluding "...as we examine Milton Friedman’s credentials to be the leader of free-market economics, we arrive at the chilling conclusion that it is difficult to consider him a free-market economist at all."[84] Friedman's position on governmental control of money changed since 1971 when this criticism was made.[85] In a 1995 interview in Reason magazine he said the "difference between me and people like Murray Rothbard is that, though I want to know what my ideal is, I think I also have to be willing to discuss changes that are less than ideal so long as they point me in that direction." He said he actually would "like to abolish the Fed," and points out that when he has written about the Fed it is simply his recommendations of how it should be run given that it exists.[9]

Now in Freidmans last years how far was he from the Austrian theories?

As far as he ever was, which was pretty far. Friedman was much more diplomatic in his disagreements but still clear and firm. Rothbard was quite vitriolic about it and those same attitudes seem to have held in the different schools.

You clearly don't even know what Austrian economics is or is not. You did not understand Caplan's criticism. I have been pointing out real criticisms of Austrians economics to try to help you form a coherent argument. But you are not even really capable of parroting the ideas of others on the subject and certainly don't understand them.

In the end he went much more austrain school.

Cato didn't get his permission for the award until very late in his life.

the austrian school is the short bus school.

That is how they are viewed by all other economic schools because they refuse the math.

they prefer measuring things by how they "believe"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman#Honors.2C_recognition.2C_and_influence

uncle Milty in the end

In 1971, Austrian School libertarian economist Murray Rothbard criticized Friedman's efforts to make the government more efficient as detrimental to individual liberty, concluding "...as we examine Milton Friedman’s credentials to be the leader of free-market economics, we arrive at the chilling conclusion that it is difficult to consider him a free-market economist at all."[84] Friedman's position on governmental control of money changed since 1971 when this criticism was made.[85] In a 1995 interview in Reason magazine he said the "difference between me and people like Murray Rothbard is that, though I want to know what my ideal is, I think I also have to be willing to discuss changes that are less than ideal so long as they point me in that direction." He said he actually would "like to abolish the Fed," and points out that when he has written about the Fed it is simply his recommendations of how it should be run given that it exists.[9]

What am I missing here. You post an article showing an Austrian economist criticizing Friedman and this is suppose to show Friedman had moved more towards Austrian beliefs?

." He said he actually would "like to abolish the Fed," and points out that when he has written about the Fed it is simply his recommendations of how it should be run given that it exists.[

uncle Milty in the end

That still does not mean he agreed with Rothbard. Friedman argued that we could rid of the Fed and let a computer increase the supply of money at a steady rate of inflation.

Here you go desh... Let's see if you can make an intelligent point. I don't think you know what you are talking about and you instead were throwing a fit.

In the other thread you claimed that Austrians make it up as they go. This is rather absurd and contradicts most criticisms of Austrians, including those of Krugman, Klein and other usual critics. They have argued that Austrians are too rigid and fail to change with new data.

As for your point that they are not taken seriously... Hayek won a Nobel.

what was the point of your thread?

so does that make the Austrian school correct?

Does what make them correct? The Austrian school, generally, supports a gold standard and removing government from the creation/control of money. Having a government computer inflate the money supply is not what they support. There are many other differences between them and Friedman and them than just that, though. You don't know what you are talking about.

uncle Milty in the end

they are quotes huh

Back