Bowl Games

I cannot explain how anyone can be a Dallas fan...or an Eagles or Redskins fan.

I can explain that I have visited California...and think it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet. So...I kinda root for California teams when local teams are in the cellar.

Oh, there are times it is MUCH worse than that.

Of course, there have been years recently when it has been lots of fun...like the one when Manning and Big Blue beat the Patriots twice to win the Lombardi Trophy.

Can't get over rooting for a team supposedly from New York that plays in a land full in New Jersey, least the organization isn't as screwed up as the Knicks

Can't get over rooting for a team supposedly from New York that plays in a land full in New Jersey, least the organization isn't as screwed up as the Knicks

The New York Giants & New York Jets both play in New Jersey.

The Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, Texas.

The Washington Redskins play in Landover, Maryland.

The Miami Dolphins play in Miami Gardens, Fla.

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara, CA.

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park, NY

The San Diego Chargers play in Carson, CA.

The Giants and Jets play closer to their namesake...than any of the others.

Not true, I could make a case for each of those schools and I'm sure the fans of those schools would support me as enthusiastic as you do USC, and I wouldn't put USC in ND's category, in terms of tradition and history no one compares to ND, and no, I am not a ND fan, although I do enjoy going to a game at South Bend

How many combined national championships does SMU, Pittsburgh and Syracuse have combined? How many does USC have? How many combined Heisman winners does SMU, Pittsburgh and Syracuse have? How many does USC have?

USC is one of the top ten winningest programs in college football history. It’s a blue blood of the sport. Like you said dude, you barely follow college football. Nothing wrong with that except when you are trying to argue about it and your lack of knowledge shows

But in a different State, the New York Giants and Jets play in the New Jersey Meadowlands

Never going to sell me on that one, I'm a purest, still can't get over the Yankees tearing down Yankee Stadium, the same field nearly every great in baseball history played on, to build a new stadium next door to turn an already huge profit into a bigger profit

How many combined national championships does SMU, Pittsburgh and Syracuse have combined? How many does USC have? How many combined Heisman winners does SMU, Pittsburgh and Syracuse have? How many does USC have?

USC is one of the top ten winningest programs in college football history. It’s a blue blood of the sport. Like you said dude, you barely follow college football. Nothing wrong with that except when you are trying to argue about it and your lack of knowledge shows

It is not the awards, or titles determined by media polls, it is the history, until the late 1960's USC was nothing, a surge in the late sixties early seventies, and then the Carroll years, otherwise, just another west coast school. Several of the others I mentioned date a competive presence back into the 19th Century, and maintain a position today, but in the era of big spending, have declined to participate at that level, which is a decision USC will make in the future

And I noticed the Rose Bowl parade is on TV now, who's playing in that Bowl game today? As I noted, you are exchanging from a partisan position, inside looking out

They both suck at what they do which is why you support them.

But in a different State, the New York Giants and Jets play in the New Jersey Meadowlands

Never going to sell me on that one, I'm a purest, still can't get over the Yankees tearing down Yankee Stadium, the same field nearly every great in baseball history played on, to build a new stadium next door to turn an already huge profit into a bigger profit

Professional Sports is a business!

It is not the awards, or titles determined by media polls, it is the history, until the late 1960's USC was nothing, a surge in the late sixties early seventies, and then the Carroll years, otherwise, just another west coast school. Several of the others I mentioned date a competive presence back into the 19th Century, and maintain a position today, but in the era of big spending, have declined to participate at that level, which is a decision USC will make in the future

And I noticed the Rose Bowl parade is on TV now, who's playing in that Bowl game today? As I noted, you are exchanging from a partisan position, inside looking out

So you claim its history that matters then state USC having 11 national titles and being top ten all time in wins doesn't matter. That makes no sense. USC won four national titles prior to 1940 and you're claiming we weren't in existence until the late '60's? Hell McKay won his first title in 1962 which I'm assuming most wouldn't call the late '60's.

You said you don't follow college football all that closely and clearly that's the case based on your arguments here.

Oregon and Wisconsin play today in the Rose Bowl. What does that have to do with anything?

So you claim its history that matters then state USC having 11 national titles and being top ten all time in wins doesn't matter. That makes no sense. USC won four national titles prior to 1940 and you're claiming we weren't in existence until the late '60's? Hell McKay won his first title in 1962 which I'm assuming most wouldn't call the late '60's.

You said you don't follow college football all that closely and clearly that's the case based on your arguments here.

Oregon and Wisconsin play today in the Rose Bowl. What does that have to do with anything?

Looking for an example you might understand, UCLA has won a number of NCAA basketball tournaments, but the vast majority of those tournaments were before teams were moved out of their geographical regions, meaning UCLA could pretty much punch their ticket to the Final Four while other teams slugged it out getting to that level. Does that mean UCLA's past tournament wins make it a college basketball blue blood ranking near the top?

Competing for decades in a mediocre league in a major media market whose sports writers voted for a national championship helps establish records and number of championships. I am not saying USC's reputation is below those schools I listed, but rather not that much higher than similar private institutions that have seen attempting to compete in big money football isn't practical or worth it given the school's purpose

And the Rose Bowl line was just a dig, seemed to work

Osborne was amazing. I hear two arguments why Nebraska has fallen off. One was going to the Big 10 where they had no natural rivals such as OU and Colorado. But the biggest is back in they day, before ESPN and cable TV, Nebraska was on TV a lot and that was a big sell to kids from across the country. Once cable took over and almost every game is televised kids no longer had to travel to the middle of nowhere to be seen. They could stay near home now.

There's probably numerous reasons, that could be attributed; but the years with Osborne in charge, were memorable and part of Cornhusker history.

Looking for an example you might understand, UCLA has won a number of NCAA basketball tournaments, but the vast majority of those tournaments were before teams were moved out of their geographical regions, meaning UCLA could pretty much punch their ticket to the Final Four while other teams slugged it out getting to that level. Does that mean UCLA's past tournament wins make it a college basketball blue blood ranking near the top?

Competing for decades in a mediocre league in a major media market whose sports writers voted for a national championship helps establish records and number of championships. I am not saying USC's reputation is below those schools I listed, but rather not that much higher than similar private institutions that have seen attempting to compete in big money football isn't practical or worth it given the school's purpose

You keep moving the goal posts to justify our poor performance post sanctions and under Helton.

Helton is the worst Power 5 coach bar none. Have you not understood a word I’ve said about him? Yes he won the Rose Bowl a couple of years back but that was with Sark’s talent and a transcendent QB in Darnold who masked Helton’s considerable weaknesses. We aren’t even close to sniffing the Rose Bowl now. We just suffered our worst Bowl loss in 50 years at the freaking Holiday Bowl. So not sure how saying we aren’t playing in the Rose Bowl today is some sort of dig.

Hmmm things are getting interesting. The NCAA head of officiating called up Coach Dey and apologized for the blown replay call that overturned a reception/fumble that was returned for a TD that changed the outcome of the game.
You got a link to that? Can't find it.

Your narrative keeps shifting. When USC or ND next win a championship, that should easily enable you to dismiss it.

Your narrative keeps shifting. When USC or ND next win a championship, that should easily enable you to dismiss it.

I told you, it ain't happening, and never with USC, once the decision was made to go to a four team playoff cost escalated, and schools had to make the decision if they wanted to spend the fortune to stay competitive at that level, an arena that would make no sense for a private school to get involved in

You keep moving the goal posts to justify our poor performance post sanctions and under Helton.

Helton is the worst Power 5 coach bar none. Have you not understood a word I’ve said about him? Yes he won the Rose Bowl a couple of years back but that was with Sark’s talent and a transcendent QB in Darnold who masked Helton’s considerable weaknesses. We aren’t even close to sniffing the Rose Bowl now. We just suffered our worst Bowl loss in 50 years at the freaking Holiday Bowl. So not sure how saying we aren’t playing in the Rose Bowl today is some sort of dig.

I am not justifying anything, rather pointing out that expecting USC to compete with the top seven or eight State schools who have decided they are all in allocating to make the four team playoff is wishful thinking, it ain't happening. It is a different game now, and has been since the four team playoff, if you aren't spending the millions needed you aren't a contender, and private schools aren't going to go walk that plank

Back