Bowl Games

Bama wins the Citrus Bowl!!

Tight first half (Alabama's defense was asleep), but the 2nd half was all Alabama. We are going to miss Jerry Jeudy.

I am not justifying anything, rather pointing out that expecting USC to compete with the top seven or eight State schools who have decided they are all in allocating to make the four team playoff is wishful thinking, it ain't happening. It is a different game now, and has been since the four team playoff, if you aren't spending the millions needed you aren't a contender, and private schools aren't going to go walk that plank

False. Had we hired Urban we might have been in the playoff next year. Our new school President said no. That wasn’t a money issue. USC is the sleeping giant of college football. You live in the NE and don’t follow college football. It’s why you don’t understand this.

Your narrative keeps shifting. When USC or ND next win a championship, that should easily enable you to dismiss it.

ND was in the playoff two years ago I believe. One of ND’s biggest challenges is they actually have academic standards and won’t just let every kid in. It’s why Urban Meyer didn’t take the job. ND spends plenty of money on football and has its own contract with NBC. Archives is F.O.S. on this.

False. Had we hired Urban we might have been in the playoff next year. Our new school President said no. That wasn’t a money issue. USC is the sleeping giant of college football. You live in the NE and don’t follow college football. It’s why you don’t understand this.

But they didn't hire Urban, as you yourself explained probably for the same reasons ND didn't hire Urban, which considering USC's position makes sense, the last thing southern California needs in the Me Too era is an Urban Meyer

And I do live in the NE, and I do follow college football, which is the reason I can see the handwriting on the wall, USC, as a private institution, isn't taking the Alabama/Clemson route hoping to make a national playoff spot, it contradicts their reason for being

ND was in the playoff two years ago I believe. One of ND’s biggest challenges is they actually have academic standards and won’t just let every kid in. It’s why Urban Meyer didn’t take the job. ND spends plenty of money on football and has its own contract with NBC. Archives is F.O.S. on this.

And how well did ND do when they got into the playoff? The difference in class of personnel was quickly seen, just like when they played Georgia this year.

ND is probably the only private school that does have the money to compete with those State schools chasing an elusive spot in the playoffs, but doubtful they will go that way, I don't think you will ever see the day ND signs assistant coaches to million dollar contracts

The invisible targeting call. The Clemson QB lowered his head into the tackle. Otherwise the safety would have tackled him in the midsection.

Irrelevant.
The NCAA’s targeting rule will never be perfect, but it’s worth understanding
Let’s actually read the rule and try to bust a few common myths.
Misconception #1: Targeting just means “helmet-to-helmet hits.”
Too often, a targeting call that results in the standard 15-yard penalty and automatic ejection leads people to point out a lack of helmet contact, but the rules do not specifically require that (if you think that should be the rule, that’s a different conversation). A helmet-to-helmet hit can be a targeting foul, but all targeting fouls are not necessarily helmet-to-helmet hits.
From the NCAA rulebook (emphasis added throughout):

No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul.A player could launch crown-first into a player’s hand, and that could be targeting. More commonly, you’ll see targeting calls after crown-to-ribcage hits.
https://www.bannersociety.com/2017/9/2/20732365/targeting-penalty-rulebook-college-football
Also:
Since 2008, the committee has implemented rules to prohibit forcible contact using the helmet and target defenseless opponents. In 2013, it became an ejectionable offense, in addition to incurring a 15-yard penalty.

Defenseless players can be defined as any of the following, but not limited to:

a player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

https://www.si.com/college/2018/08/21/college-football-helmet-targeting-rule-explained
Wade clearly led with his helmet. Also it cost OSU 15 yds., not 6 pts.
The overturned td was the only really bad call in the game. And it was a damned shame.

Last edited:
Irrelevant.
Also:

Wade clearly led with his helmet. Also it cost OSU 15 yds., not 6 pts.
The overturned td was the only really bad call in the game. And it was a damned shame.
Clemson scored several plays after the penalty. Even if the targeting call was legitimate, and most officials agree it wasn’t. It didn’t arise to tossing the player as neither malicious intent involved nor did he target the opposing players head. That player put his head in the way.

Let’s also mention that SEC officials are notorious for their inconsistency in calling targeting penalties. Just ask Georgia and Alabama fans.

And how well did ND do when they got into the playoff? The difference in class of personnel was quickly seen, just like when they played Georgia this year.

ND is probably the only private school that does have the money to compete with those State schools chasing an elusive spot in the playoffs, but doubtful they will go that way, I don't think you will ever see the day ND signs assistant coaches to million dollar contracts

IF this is accurate ND spends the 4th most money

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

You got a link to that? Can't find it.

Sorry. That was the Big 10 Supervisor of Officials who called Day. But the NCAA Supervisor of Officials said the play should not have been overturned. The SEC Supervisor of Officials has said nothing publicly but will have to sooner or later as he’ll be succeeding as NCAA Supervisor of Officials and based on the comments of the Big 10 Supervisor of Officials it appears his SEC counterpart agreed it was a bad call in a private conversation.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...should-have-stood-in-ohio-state-clemson-game/

Clemson scored several plays after the penalty. Even if the targeting call was legitimate, and most officials agree it wasn’t. It didn’t arise to tossing the player as neither malicious intent involved nor did he target the opposing players head. That player put his head in the way.

Let’s also mention that SEC officials are notorious for their inconsistency in calling targeting penalties. Just ask Georgia and Alabama fans.

Boo fucking hoo,Should have finished them off in the first half,Should have not thrown a interception,to lose the game.

I told you, it ain't happening, and never with USC, once the decision was made to go to a four team playoff cost escalated, and schools had to make the decision if they wanted to spend the fortune to stay competitive at that level, an arena that would make no sense for a private school to get involved in

USC has a much easier path to a championship than ND. It's precisely because it is you telling me this bullshit that I know it's untrue.

Back