Bowl Games

It also brings in "students" who would not be allowed in most other schools. Hey...almost every "university" in Florida does the same thing...as do most of the football factories around the country.

Schools like Notre Dame, any of the military academies, any of the Ivy League schools are at a marked disadvantage because they actually use real students.

Also, the academic minimums for schools are set by the university administration. There is no special exemption for athletes. The minimums are lower than the Ivy League schools, but they still have to be met.

It means that if they couldn't play a sport, their academic abilities wouldn't meet the "qualifications" to get in.

In your opinion, what is the primary purpose of attending college?

Wrong. The general academic minimums are the same for all the students that attend a given school. If you can't qualify for the university, you go to a junior college until you bring your grades up.

I'm pretty sure there are academic qualifications set by each university....and the NCAA. Every student must meet them.
Why did you go to college? I went to get a degree in Education...and did...

https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html

I went for academics. Sad how there are those that want to go for that primary purpose but get left out of the school of choice because someone going solely for athletics gets in based on how fast they can run rather than how well they can add.

Oh, so any student who doesn't qualify for Yale or Harvard is not a "real" student?

Schools have different areas of expertise. Doesn't mean all but the top elite are worthless.

Yes, Bama's football players are not required to have the same academic standards that Yale requires. But they have to have minimums that make sure they are students.

And there are gems on the football that break the mold. Had one O-lineman start all 4 years of his eligibility and still graduate with a 4.0 GPA. A QB from a few years ago was a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship.

Frank Apisa, what was your GPA going into college? Did you qualify for Yale or Princeton?

Plus, many of these athletes would not attend college if it weren't for athletic scholarships. At Alabama, it just so happens that the profits from football pay for many other things.

Which means Alabama, like any other school that makes millions in profits from football, makes exceptions for athletes whether you believe it or not.

No one gets left out;)
Now, the fake athletic/academic admissions...those are another story;)

You're a fool if you don't think there are non-athletes that get left out because someone able to run faster is allowed in.

You're a fool if you don't think there are non-athletes that get left out because someone able to run faster is allowed in.
OK...You're entitled to your opinion...We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one....

I'm not bothered, but.... Darn..I was sure you'd have an actual "answer";)
Happy New Year to you and yours Frank;)

Thanks, TOP.

Same to you and yours.;)

Thank for not taking my ball busting too seriously.

I do have an answer, by the way. For all too long, the football factories have enrolled "students" who ARE not qualified for university study. This is not some great revelation I am making...it is a well-known fact of life.

There is no big deal to the fact that it appears there are "students" playing football at universities in Florida, for example who would not be able to obtain admission to Notre Dame or any of the military academies. What is a "big deal" though is that it appears there are "students" playing football at universities in Florida who could not qualify for entry at Podunk College...and who ARE accepted at those universities ONLY because they are exceptional athletes.

They ARE students because they have been accepted to university...but they are no more students than the people washing trays in the university cafeteria.

BOTTOM LINE: It gives some people a chance to at least attempt to make it big...to get a shot at big time (great paying) professional sports.

Very few make it. Many wreck their bodies for the opportunities...but that is the way things go in that line of effort.

I'm coming to the conclusion that universities should cut the bullshit...and hire people to man their teams. It should be a job...a minor league job...that pays a decent wage. And it might level the playing field for schools willing to put money into that sort of thing...as opposed to research projects that might actually help the world.

Oh, so any student who doesn't qualify for Yale or Harvard is not a "real" student?

Schools have different areas of expertise. Doesn't mean all but the top elite are worthless.

Yes, Bama's football players are not required to have the same academic standards that Yale requires. But they have to have minimums that make sure they are students.

And there are gems on the football that break the mold. Had one O-lineman start all 4 years of his eligibility and still graduate with a 4.0 GPA. A QB from a few years ago was a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship.

Frank Apisa, what was your GPA going into college? Did you qualify for Yale or Princeton?

Plus, many of these athletes would not attend college if it weren't for athletic scholarships. At Alabama, it just so happens that the profits from football pay for many other things.

I didn't say or suggest they should be able to qualify for Harvard or Yale...or the military academies. I merely indicated that schools that have high academic standards are at a disadvantage.

Thanks, TOP.

Same to you and yours.;)

Thank for not taking my ball busting too seriously.

I do have an answer, by the way. For all too long, the football factories have enrolled "students" who ARE not qualified for university study. This is not some great revelation I am making...it is a well-known fact of life.

There is no big deal to the fact that it appears there are "students" playing football at universities in Florida, for example who would not be able to obtain admission to Notre Dame or any of the military academies. What is a "big deal" though is that it appears there are "students" playing football at universities in Florida who could not qualify for entry at Podunk College...and who ARE accepted at those universities ONLY because they are exceptional athletes.

They ARE students because they have been accepted to university...but they are no more students than the people washing trays in the university cafeteria.

BOTTOM LINE: It gives some people a chance to at least attempt to make it big...to get a shot at big time (great paying) professional sports.

Very few make it. Many wreck their bodies for the opportunities...but that is the way things go in that line of effort.

I'm coming to the conclusion that universities should cut the bullshit...and hire people to man their teams. It should be a job...a minor league job...that pays a decent wage. And it might level the playing field for schools willing to put money into that sort of thing...as opposed to research projects that might actually help the world.

There's the answer I expected...thank you...civil and sincere...;)
But I will disagree with you putting "students" in quotes...being a student/athlete is tough...anywhere...beginning in HS;) (from a teacher/coach/parentofathlete perspective, of course)

https://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores/index.html

I went for academics. Sad how there are those that want to go for that primary purpose but get left out of the school of choice because someone going solely for athletics gets in based on how fast they can run rather than how well they can add.

It is sad when ever someone cannot go to the school they want. However, whether the student athlete takes advantage of the academic opportunities is up to them, not the school. I don't know about other schools, but even the athletes who go on to the NFL early are encouraged to finish their degree.

There's the answer I expected...thank you...civil and sincere...;)
But I will disagree with you putting "students" in quotes...being a student/athlete is tough...anywhere...beginning in HS;) (from a teacher/coach/parentofathlete perspective, of course)

Very tough.

At the levels some of these kids play...THEY SHOULD BE PAID. The notion that they are student-athletes should be seen as fiction. And if they get an education that might otherwise not be easily available...so much the better.

Very tough.

At the levels some of these kids play...THEY SHOULD BE PAID. The notion that they are student-athletes should be seen as fiction. And if they get an education that might otherwise not be easily available...so much the better.
Many get excellent educations;) I think I'll watch Blind Side again today for the 50th time...lol

Which means Alabama, like any other school that makes millions in profits from football, makes exceptions for athletes whether you believe it or not.

I have friends who work and teach at UA. There may have been a time when athletes were given a pass. That time is gone. 5 star athletes going to junior college and then Alabama. Student checkers making sure athletes attend classes. And a greater competition for the limited spaces available on athletic scholarships all show that.

No one gets left out;)
Now, the fake athletic/academic admissions...those are another story;)

Exactly. Since we’re talking football here let’s say a school eliminates their football program. That doesn’t mean 100 spots in the university are going to open up for non athletes. It’s a bogus argument he’s making

Exactly. Since we’re talking football here let’s say a school eliminates their football program. That doesn’t mean 100 spots in the university are going to open up for non athletes. It’s a bogus argument he’s making
Correct....

Back