Bowl Games

Alabama spends the money to have top level facilities and coaches. That gives the athletes the best chance to win and the best chance to move to the next level.

While the school as a whole shares a mediocre notoriety at best, most institutions I believe would prefer putting the funding toward advancing their academic reputation, no one is ever going to confuse Alabama with Vanderbilt

And please, no Alabama produced statistics showing their tops in some program or another or personal narratives about how you know a guy who ................

Exactly. Since we’re talking football here let’s say a school eliminates their football program. That doesn’t mean 100 spots in the university are going to open up for non athletes. It’s a bogus argument he’s making

They don't have to eliminate it, just draw a line, you want to work to advance the institution or spend the majority of your funding on academics, a decision most private and even some public schools have made. They are schools, and not entertainment centers nor avenues for others to try to relive their salad years

They don't have to eliminate it, just draw a line, you want to work to advance the institution or spend the majority of your funding on academics, a decision most private and even some public schools have made. They are schools, and not entertainment centers nor avenues for others to try to relive their salad years

Read what CFM wrote that we were responding too. Nothing to do with the above.

Since you say I don’t know college football history tell us who the sports blue bloods are. Then give us a list of the top 15-20 programs historically. Tell us how many of these historic programs are private vs public

So basically you don't understand the rule and if you did you wouldn't agree with the rule. I don't agree with it either. Too punitive unless the targeting is egregious.
I think it will be revised . The penalty doesn't fit the crime.

I wish I knew what you were talking about.:dunno:

Alabama and Georgia both had incidents this season of players being ejected from the game for questionable targeting calls.

It also sounds like you think schools should de-emphasize football. Our new school President would love you.

I'll end this discussion with these facts. You have in your mind the college football playoff is a sea change for public and private schools. The problem with your argument is that if you go back 50+ years the only private school to win a title other than USC, ND or Miami was BYU in 1984. So private schools weren't winning titles prior. Of the top 20 college football programs only 3 are private universities.

What you choose not to address is the crooked NCAA giving USC the second harshest penalty post SMU for what Reggie Bush's family did which crushed our program for years. Nor have you addressed the decision to both hire and continue to employ Clay Helton. Understand that and you'll understand the past decade of USC football.

Like you said you have no idea who's even in the Pac 12

I have friends who work and teach at UA. There may have been a time when athletes were given a pass. That time is gone. 5 star athletes going to junior college and then Alabama. Student checkers making sure athletes attend classes. And a greater competition for the limited spaces available on athletic scholarships all show that.

No one said they didn't attend classes. However, if you believe 5 star athletes aren't admitted while people with high academic abilities are left out, you're an idiot.

It is sad when ever someone cannot go to the school they want. However, whether the student athlete takes advantage of the academic opportunities is up to them, not the school. I don't know about other schools, but even the athletes who go on to the NFL early are encouraged to finish their degree.

It's sadder when they aren't admitted because someone with far lower academic skills is let in because they can run faster.

That lower academically performing student can't take advantage unless the SCHOOL offers it to them.

Since only approximately half of NFL players have degrees, they have a long way to go.

Last edited:
It also sounds like you think schools should de-emphasize football. Our new school President would love you.
I have to wonder why a school such as Vanderbilt continues the futility of staying in the SEC. It'd be better for their program to be in the American Athletic Conference and compete against the Tulanes.
Edit: Of course we all know the answer to 99 of 100 questions is "money". I assume they get lots of tv revenue.

Last edited:
I have to wonder why a school such as Vanderbilt continues the futility of staying in the SEC. It'd be better for their program to be in the American Athletic Conference and compete against the Tulanes.
Edit: Of course we all know the answer to 99 of 100 questions is "money". I assume they get lots of tv revenue.

Exactly. They make massive amounts of money being in the SEC. They also traditionally have one of the top baseball teams in the country. (My understanding is college baseball is pretty big in the South).

Part of the problem is, is that the "Alumni" donate huge sums of money and want to see sports programs like football.

Phil Knight at Oregon is the ultimate example. Oregon had almost no athletic history and then Knight really started getting involved. Now they have if not the top, then the top three, facilities in the country. He has put tens of millions of dollars into their football and basketball programs.

Not every school has a sugar daddy like Knight but many of the big ones have big time alum who donate millions to athletics.

Alabama and Georgia both had incidents this season of players being ejected from the game for questionable targeting calls.

If you look at most defensive players just before any tackle they're leading with their helmet almost every time. Sometimes in the heat of moment the head will be the first to hit the guy with the ball, something the tackler can't always control. Strictly following the rule results in the penalty and ejection regardless of what part of the body the helmet touches first. Was watching some of the recordings and you could watch a replay and call a ton of targeting .
I understand trying to make the game safer but this isn't flag football.
Rule needs changing.

I'll end this discussion with these facts. You have in your mind the college football playoff is a sea change for public and private schools. The problem with your argument is that if you go back 50+ years the only private school to win a title other than USC, ND or Miami was BYU in 1984. So private schools weren't winning titles prior. Of the top 20 college football programs only 3 are private universities.

What you choose not to address is the crooked NCAA giving USC the second harshest penalty post SMU for what Reggie Bush's family did which crushed our program for years. Nor have you addressed the decision to both hire and continue to employ Clay Helton. Understand that and you'll understand the past decade of USC football.

Like you said you have no idea who's even in the Pac 12

"The problem with your arguement is that going back 50+ years the only private school to win a title other than USC, ND, or Miami was BYU."

Pittsburgh has won seven national championships, Navy and Army several, BC one, and Syracuse two, in fact, Lee Corso has said a number of times that the '59 Syracuse team was the best college football team he has ever seen. Going back further, the Ivy League schools have won a combined fifty one national championships in football

Today, all of those schools, plus those I haven't thought of, have decided to deemphasize college football, or rather, decided not to make exorbitant spending on college football a priority, as has many State schools, they just aren't ever going to justify a staff of million dollar assistant coaches to please a fan base

Now no matter how many times you throw up what you see as USC's unique pedigree, as a private school where academics take center stage, they are not in the future going to be a playoff contending football program, it is a different game today

Why does NorthWestern stay in the Big Ten? BC, Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Duke, or Wake Forest in the ACC? Baylor, TCU in the Big 12? Stanford and USC in the PAC 12?

Partially money, but also cause they found their niche in those leagues, part of their tradition, and why not, in addition to the private schools there are public schools in each of those conferences that aren't probable to ever compete at playoff level football, they have other priorities to spend their money on

"The problem with your arguement is that going back 50+ years the only private school to win a title other than USC, ND, or Miami was BYU."

Pittsburgh has won seven national championships, Navy and Army several, BC one, and Syracuse two, in fact, Lee Corso has said a number of times that the '59 Syracuse team was the best college football team he has ever seen. Going back further, the Ivy League schools have won a combined fifty one national championships in football

Today, all of those schools, plus those I haven't thought of, have decided to deemphasize college football, or rather, decided not to make exorbitant spending on college football a priority, as has many State schools, they just aren't ever going to justify a staff of million dollar assistant coaches to please a fan base

Now no matter how many times you throw up what you see as USC's unique pedigree, as a private school where academics take center stage, they are not in the future going to be a playoff contending football program, it is a different game today

For starters Pitt is a public school so I'm not sure why you're including them in your list. And the whole premise of your argument is USC can't win in 2020 because Syracuse, Navy, Army and BC haven't won since 1959 even though we've won seven national championships since that time.

Again, you've yet to address a single thing about USC. You've not addressed the sanctions or coaches. You just assume its money even though you have no clue why we've made the decisions we have.

No one said they didn't attend classes. However, if you believe 5 star athletes aren't admitted while people with high academic abilities are left out, you're an idiot.

People with high academics are admitted. It would be the people with lower academics that would lose out spots to athletes.

And the total, full time, undergrad enrollment at Alabama is 29,923. There are 85 football scholarships total. So the football scholarships account for 0.28% of the enrollment. If you lose your spot to a football player, you were on the borderline anyway.

Back