Bowl Games

And you know what's even worse Mott? Coach O should still be our coach. Except 'Rhodes Scholar' Pat Haden decided he wanted the drunk Steve Sarkesian instead.

Now I've heard some 'SC fans say we would never have given Coach O the same amount of money for assistants as he has at LSU and that's why he's winning. It's possible that's the case. But we all heard the Burrow spoke about Coach O during the Heisman speech. USC kids felt the same way about him. They loved him and would have run through a wall for him.

Forget it "cawacko," USC is a private institution, and like most private institutions, it is not going to spend the dollars to compete with the top State schools, that time has passed. And before you can mention Stanford, which really isn't on that caliber, or Notre Dame, they are the last, and Notre Dame hasn't really been there in years.

Today it is all about money, there is a reason the same half dozen schools are always at the top, and the State schools have the bucks

Forget it "cawacko," USC is a private institution, and like most private institutions, it is not going to spend the dollars to compete with the top State schools, that time has passed. And before you can mention Stanford, which really isn't on that caliber, or Notre Dame, they are the last, and Notre Dame hasn't really been there in years.

Today it is all about money, there is a reason the same half dozen schools are always at the top, and the State schools have the bucks

Look at our Board of Trustees. A number of billionaires on it. We can get the money if we desire. And when has Stanford ever won in football? Notre Dame hasn't won a title since 1988.

USC has an illustrious history, has unbelievable talent surrounding it and is in the heart of L.A. We have every possible advantage we could want. However there are some/many in the administration and higher ups that believe jock culture doesn't mix with academic culture. And they used the b.s. sanctions against Bush as a way to try and divert funds from football and de-emphasize its importance. That's our battle.

Look at our Board of Trustees. A number of billionaires on it. We can get the money if we desire. And when has Stanford ever won in football? Notre Dame hasn't won a title since 1988.

USC has an illustrious history, has unbelievable talent surrounding it and is in the heart of L.A. We have every possible advantage we could want. However there are some/many in the administration and higher ups that believe jock culture doesn't mix with academic culture. And they used the b.s. sanctions against Bush as a way to try and divert funds from football and de-emphasize its importance. That's our battle.

Missing the point, no private school is going to shell out millions for say assistant coaches to insure a successful football program, it is not their priority, college football today is semi pro, and the State schools that have made the commitment to shell out the bucks are dominating and will dominate in the future. A lot of private schools have rich traditions, Syracuse or Miami come to mind, but they aren't going that route today

USC is in LA, but so are plenty of professional teams, it's like an Alabama where it is the only game in town

Missing the point, no private school is going to shell out millions for say assistant coaches to insure a successful football program, it is not their priority, college football today is semi pro, and the State schools that have made the commitment to shell out the bucks are dominating and will dominate in the future. A lot of private schools have rich traditions, Syracuse or Miami come to mind, but they aren't going that route today

USC is in LA, but so are plenty of professional teams, it's like an Alabama where it is the only game in town

We just spent $300 million remodeling the Coliseum. We just gave OC Grahm Harrell a three year extension at $1.2m/yr. The money was raised to pay the millions for Helton's buyout. The money was there to pay Urban Meyer $8m/yr. Billionaire donors will pony up.

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News covers the Pac 12 and did a great piece on how keeping Helton is costing the University money. Let's be clear the University is all about the mighty dollar and you get a bureaucrat's attention when they start to lose it. We have other scandals at the school and the new President doesn't want to focus on football. It's why she said no to Meyer and why we kept Helton because supposedly he has integrity. A number of people have given up season tickets and a number of big donors have threatened to stop giving. We'll see what happens. But being a private school isn't what is holding us back.

Edit: Every kid is different obviously. Some love the bright lights of the big City and others prefer a more rural college town. When USC is winning there is no place better to be than in L.A.

We just spent $300 million remodeling the Coliseum. We just gave OC Grahm Harrell a three year extension at $1.2m/yr. The money was raised to pay the millions for Helton's buyout. The money was there to pay Urban Meyer $8m/yr. Billionaire donors will pony up.

Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News covers the Pac 12 and did a great piece on how keeping Helton is costing the University money. Let's be clear the University is all about the mighty dollar and you get a bureaucrat's attention when they start to lose it. We have other scandals at the school and the new President doesn't want to focus on football. It's why she said no to Meyer and why we kept Helton because supposedly he has integrity. A number of people have given up season tickets and a number of big donors have threatened to stop giving. We'll see what happens. But being a private school isn't what is holding us back.

Edit: Every kid is different obviously. Some love the bright lights of the big City and others prefer a more rural college town. When USC is winning there is no place better to be than in L.A.

USC is never going to compete with the top half dozen State schools that dominate college football, no private school will win a college playoff, as I said, money is the common denominator to sucess, and private schools don't have a State budget to depend upon

USC is never going to compete with the top half dozen State schools that dominate college football, no private school will win a college playoff, as I said, money is the common denominator to sucess, and private schools don't have a State budget to depend upon

False, false, false. Did you not watch college football during the 9 year run we had under Pete Carroll? If they had a play off back then we would have been in it seven years straight. The money is there. It's a matter of the administration prioritizing winning.

I'm not sure how you think USC doesn't have money.

False, false, false. Did you not watch college football during the 9 year run we had under Pete Carroll? If they had a play off back then we would have been in it seven years straight. The money is there. It's a matter of the administration prioritizing winning.

I think it's the other way around,private school have the ability to have way more money then public.
Do you have any idea the amount of money
Ivy League schools have stashed away!

That was a decade ago, prior to the college playoffs, now it is all about who wants to spend the money

I believe that USC has mucho bucks, but being a private school they have to prioritize and USC sees nothing but escalating costs in competing at the top level, rather spend it elsewhere to elevate the reputation of the school, as I said, it is no accident there are no private schools competing at that level

I think it's the other way around,private school have the ability to have way more money then public.
Do you have any idea the amount of money
Ivy League schools have stashed away!

Ivy League schools have other priorities, they view athelitcs as secondary and amateur not semi pro

I might actually have to root for LSU, now. Typically I hate the SEC more than I do ACC teams, but...

I think LSU is going to take it.

Clemson has great looking cheerleaders...and a decent football team. But I think LSU is the better team...and I honestly think Joe Burrow is better QB than Trevor Lawrence.

We'll see.

That was a decade ago, prior to the college playoffs, now it is all about who wants to spend the money

I believe that USC has mucho bucks, but being a private school they have to prioritize and USC sees nothing but escalating costs in competing at the top level, rather spend it elsewhere to elevate the reputation of the school, as I said, it is no accident there are no private schools competing at that level

Do you know how much money football brought in when USC was winning? And what it’s costing us now? The money is there. It comes from wealthy donors. Our administration doesn’t put a priority on winning.

Do you know how much money football brought in when USC was winning? And what it’s costing us now? The money is there. It comes from wealthy donors. Our administration doesn’t put a priority on winning.

They need a top line coach and recruiter!
I can't believe Ohio State gets so many great players in boring ass Columbus!

Trading the first overall pick could land the Bengals a lot of draft picks and they could get more talent on the O line and linebackers which is what they really need and could still manage to land Herbert.

Chase is obviously the best available athlete. My concern with Burrow is that he’s only performed at a very high level in College for one season.

My concern for Burrow is going to Cincinnati!
QB's die there.

Right. Much of the money those state schools pour into football does not come from the state but from alumni, generated revenue........

Football coaches are the highest paid state employees in many states.

They need a top line coach and recruiter!
I can't believe Ohio State gets so many great players in boring ass Columbus!

Careful now. I was born in the G.O.A.T. aka Columbus, Ohio. Now granted I only lived there a year before we moved but nonetheless...

And six generations on my mom’s side of the family went to Ohio State so it has a special place in my heart. Columbus is a happening place. A lot of growth going on in the City.

Right. Much of the money those state schools pour into football does not come from the state but from alumni, generated revenue........

Football coaches are the highest paid state employees in many states.

Exactly. If being a public school was such a benefit Cal and UCLA would dominate over USC but they don’t.

What matters is how school administrations prioritize sports. USC has the money, football just isn’t at the top of the list

Well official death watch for Cawacko. Herky Hawkeye put a pounding on the Trojans. The question now is will they make Urban Meyer an offer he can’t refuse?

The Trojans decline is remarkable considering they’re one of the few programs that could recruit locally and still be competitive nationally. Not that they couldn’t compete Nationally in recruiting.

Personally I think Meyer, given his history, would be a short term solution. They may want to try an up and comer like Luke Fickell at Cincinnati. UC has been a springboard program for coaches heading towards the big time. Two former UC coaches have taken their current teams to the CFP.

Assuming Meyer declines USC here would be my top picks;

P.J. Fleck. Incredibly dynamic all around coach and one of the top motivators out there.
Bryan Harsin. Probably the most sought after coach after Meyer.
Luke Fickell. A brilliant defensive coach with deep in roads to recruiting Midwest talent. He’d be a nightmare in Southern Cal with its recruiting base. He also has a lot of experience recruiting Texas and Florida.

How sad that the existence of so many revolves around a football game. Since Alabama got its ass whipped twice in three games, Winterborn has gone missing. I'm sure he'll show up soon enough once you tell him a comment was made about him. When Michigan gives Alabama its third loss in four games and he watches Clemson win another title, he's likely to go into a state of depression from which he won't recover.

Back