Bowl Games

How sad that the existence of so many revolves around a football game. Since Alabama got its ass whipped twice in three games, Winterborn has gone missing. I'm sure he'll show up soon enough once you tell him a comment was made about him. When Michigan gives Alabama its third loss in four games and he watches Clemson win another title, he's likely to go into a state of depression from which he won't recover.

I doubt if Michigan can win,but I hope so!

I doubt if Michigan can win,but I hope so!

If you listened to WB, Alabama had a tough schedule. The combined W/L total off all opponents was 73-76. That appears to be better than it is especially when you consider that their two losses were to teams with 23 of those 73 wins. When you take out those two, the combined W/L total is 50-73 among the remaining 10 opponents. What that says is when Alabama plays competition, they aren't as good as they appear when they beat a 3-9 Western Carolina, an FCS member, by 63 points.

Careful now. I was born in the G.O.A.T. aka Columbus, Ohio. Now granted I only lived there a year before we moved but nonetheless...

And six generations on my mom’s side of the family went to Ohio State so it has a special place in my heart. Columbus is a happening place. A lot of growth going on in the City.
Indeed;) (Buckeye for Life, btw-but you know that;)

Do you know how much money football brought in when USC was winning? And what it’s costing us now? The money is there. It comes from wealthy donors. Our administration doesn’t put a priority on winning.

As I said, a decade ago, like most private schools they have decided they would rather boost their academic standing than become a football factory.

What you are overlooking in your nostalgic driven view is the escalating costs, doubtful USC is eager to pay assistant coaches millions, not head coaches, assistant coaches, nor invest big bucks in scouting/recruiting efforts, not to mention the potential of scandal, big city schools have investigating media, not like Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Last time, the role of private schools in college football is diminishing, they don't have the access to dependable funding nor see it as the amateur competition it once was

Exactly. If being a public school was such a benefit Cal and UCLA would dominate over USC but they don’t.

What matters is how school administrations prioritize sports. USC has the money, football just isn’t at the top of the list

Bad examples, Cal and UCLA don't dominate over anyone, in nearly anything, in fact, again, with the dollars involved with the upper tier of college football, nothing on the West Coast competes, time element limits their media exposure equaling dollars

I don't see how you people can't accept the fact that private schools can't nor particularly want to get involved in the money race to compete with the top six or so State college football schools that dominate and will continue to dominate. It isn't amateur athelitcs anymore, semi-pro, and those schools with academic reputations have other priorities

Bad examples, Cal and UCLA don't dominate over anyone, in nearly anything, in fact, again, with the dollars involved with the upper tier of college football, nothing on the West Coast competes, time element limits their media exposure equaling dollars

I don't see how you people can't accept the fact that private schools can't nor particularly want to get involved in the money race to compete with the top six or so State college football schools that dominate and will continue to dominate. It isn't amateur athelitcs anymore, semi-pro, and those schools with academic reputations have other priorities

When a private school wins a national football title (since other sports don't apparently count, like a Duke basketball title), will you STFU for a while?

There is little I am more passionate about than USC football. I live and breathe it. You live on the East Coast and I'm willing to bet you don't spend a whole lot of time (understandably) following USC. So therefore you don't understand what the internal drivers of the University are. I'm not speaking for other private Universities. I'm speaking about USC. I'm just repeating myself at this point. We have billionaire donors who will do what it takes financially. What we don't have is a school President and administration willing to do the same.

There is little I am more passionate about than USC football. I live and breathe it. You live on the East Coast and I'm willing to bet you don't spend a whole lot of time (understandably) following USC. So therefore you don't understand what the internal drivers of the University are. I'm not speaking for other private Universities. I'm speaking about USC. I'm just repeating myself at this point. We have billionaire donors who will do what it takes financially. What we don't have is a school President and administration willing to do the same.

How sad your life revolves around something, in the whole scheme of things, is insignificant.

When a private school wins a national football title (since other sports don't apparently count, like a Duke basketball title), will you STFU for a while?

Common sense, they still can compete in basketball and many of the other lesser sports that don't require million dollar assistant coaches, but football costs are astronomical and rising, did you notice Duke football ain't all that sucessful. And the day will even come when even basketball will be too expensive, if you don't play in a big arena nor have the latest practice facilities you are on the outside

You are correct, I don't follow West Coast collegian athletics much, couldn't even tell you who is in the PAC 12 today, but I do know the days of the big USC/UCLA showdown in the Coliseum with Cal Tech pulling pranks went the way of Lindsey Nelson.

And again, private schools as USC may have the money, as someone else mentioned the Ivies probably have more endowment money than anyone, but they have other priorities on how to allocate the funds, and getting involved in a competition with escalating costs with a half dozen State schools in semi pro football isn't at the top of their agenda

I'll throw this out there too. College football would be sh*tting its collective pants if we hired Urban. It would be Pete Carroll part 2. It wasn't money that stopped us. The money was there. And the money was there for his assistants. Our new school President decided she didn't like Urban's past and likes Helton's integrity.

We all know Urban's dream school was Notre Dame. He interviewed with them in 2012 I believe prior to going to Ohio State. What's been reported is he requested a handful of special exemptions for star recruits who basically wouldn't come close to qualifying otherwise. The school told him no and Meyer told them no. Whether you agree with ND on that or not that was an internal decision they made but wasn't driven by money. They don't make that decision because of too much or too little money.

You are correct, I don't follow West Coast collegian athletics much, couldn't even tell you who is in the PAC 12 today, but I do know the days of the big USC/UCLA showdown in the Coliseum with Cal Tech pulling pranks went the way of Lindsey Nelson.

And again, private schools as USC may have the money, as someone else mentioned the Ivies probably have more endowment money than anyone, but they have other priorities on how to allocate the funds, and getting involved in a competition with escalating costs with a half dozen State schools in semi pro football isn't at the top of their agenda

You're second paragraph is correct but contradicts all you've been arguing prior. It's a matter of priorities. USC has the money, the administration no longer prioritizes winning. That's different than a school who says we'd love to win but just can't compete financially.

You're second paragraph is correct but contradicts all you've been arguing prior. It's a matter of priorities. USC has the money, the administration no longer prioritizes winning. That's different than a school who says we'd love to win but just can't compete financially.

Probably correct on the Meyer and ND, I've seen the same scenario played out at other schools with other coaches, particularly in basketball, and USC probably saw the same narrative playing out with Meyer, they valued their academic reputation higher than having a top five football team

It is about money, they might have the money now, but the way the college playoffs is growing financially, the private schools with money rather not get into an escalating competition to succeed at that level, it is not their top priority, they'd rather have a new research building or tech improvements or whatever than a playoff football team. Keep in mind those State schools at that level with State secure funding usually aren't recognized for their scholasticism

Probably correct on the Meyer and ND, I've seen the same scenario played out at other schools with other coaches, particularly in basketball, and USC probably saw the same narrative playing out with Meyer, they valued their academic reputation higher than having a top five football team

It is about money, they might have the money now, but the way the college playoffs is growing financially, the private schools with money rather not get into an escalating competition to succeed at that level, it is not their top priority, they'd rather have a new research building or tech improvements or whatever than a playoff football team. Keep in mind those State schools at that level with State secure funding usually aren't recognized for their scholasticism

13 of the 14 SEC schools are public. Ten of the 12 PAC 12 schools are public. All but one Big Ten schools are public. The ACC has maybe three private schools. The Big 12 has several. So public schools in the Power 5 far outnumber private schools. But that has nothing to do with USC and the decisions we make internally.

Common sense, they still can compete in basketball and many of the other lesser sports that don't require million dollar assistant coaches, but football costs are astronomical and rising, did you notice Duke football ain't all that sucessful. And the day will even come when even basketball will be too expensive, if you don't play in a big arena nor have the latest practice facilities you are on the outside

Do you consider football to be greater than basketball?

This may come as a surprise to you, but, USC actually considers Clay Helton to be a good coach, capable of bringing back the days of decades past (as you seem to view the 2004-2005 seasons) when the Trojans were winning championships.

I was wrong, but how many of the skilled players, those needed in two platoon football, come from the same areas?

Again, most from Ohio. Granted there are only so many people on the planet with 4.2 speed. There are far more with size and strength so to be able to be competitive where speed is concerned you have to be able to recruit nationally but that's true for all college programs and always has been.

Keep in mind though that Ohio is traditionally one of the top 5 States in recruiting talent, though there has been a tad bit of drop off in the speed department in recent years but in addition to talent Ohio is just plain nuts about High School football and only California, Texas and Florida have the per capita spending on High School Football programs, so the talent that is in Ohio also tends to be better coached, which makes a hell of a difference at the College level.

You're point is definately a legitimate one....but Ohio is not a good example to make your point with. You could be a House Burgler in Ohio and as long as you kept your activities to Friday nights in the fall you'd probably never get caught. LOL

Back