Bowl Games

13 of the 14 SEC schools are public. Ten of the 12 PAC 12 schools are public. All but one Big Ten schools are public. The ACC has maybe three private schools. The Big 12 has several. So public schools in the Power 5 far outnumber private schools. But that has nothing to do with USC and the decisions we make internally.

ACC has five, and along with the others you mentioned in those leagues, rarely does any of those private schools have success in their respective leagues, and certainly not any kind of success that is going to get them into the playoff picture, and most of them are content with that scenario

And I keep disagreeing with you over USC, as I said, and not personally, you are living in the past, nostalgia is fun, but not realistic looking at the current college football landscape and the cost to be competitive with the top six or seven

My concern for Burrow is going to Cincinnati!
QB's die there.

You must be been born after 1980. We had a 21 year period from 1971 to 1992 where Cincinnati QB's were some of the best in the league. Had either Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason had won their Super Bowl appearances they would probably be in the hall of fame. Anderson should be anyways. He was essentially the very first West Coast Offense QB and set the standard for excellence and, to this day the only QB's I've seen that were as accurate passing as Anderson are Tom Brady, Johnny Unitas and Drew Brees.

But after Paul Brown died Cincinnati has indeed been the NFL team where careers go to die thanks to the ineptitude of his son Mike Brown.

This may come as a surprise to you, but, USC actually considers Clay Helton to be a good coach, capable of bringing back the days of decades past (as you seem to view the 2004-2005 seasons) when the Trojans were winning championships.

You and "cawacko" keep referring to the past as a barometer, not the same today, again, with the playoffs, money has quadrupled, as has the escalating cost to complete at that level. A few schools, State schools, have made the decision to go all in, and those left behind are the private institutions that don't see it beneficial to their purpose as an scholastic institution to focus on having a top five semi pro football team

Common sense, they still can compete in basketball and many of the other lesser sports that don't require million dollar assistant coaches, but football costs are astronomical and rising, did you notice Duke football ain't all that sucessful. And the day will even come when even basketball will be too expensive, if you don't play in a big arena nor have the latest practice facilities you are on the outside

Duke plays in a smallish arena.
What matters is confrence cause thats how tv pays.
Football also has WAY more athletes. That adds up too.

ACC has five, and along with the others you mentioned in those leagues, rarely does any of those private schools have success in their respective leagues, and certainly not any kind of success that is going to get them into the playoff picture, and most of them are content with that scenario

And I keep disagreeing with you over USC, as I said, and not personally, you are living in the past, nostalgia is fun, but not realistic looking at the current college football landscape and the cost to be competitive with the top six or seven

Except that college football isn't static. Clemson was mediocre for decades until Dabo took over. Alabama had a number of down years prior to Saban. Florida had a dominating stretch now look at them. It was only a decade ago that USC was the best team in college football. Oregon was absolutely nothing and now they compete on the national stage. Texas had a run of reaching a couple of national title games then completely fell off. USC is down but we are not out.

Do you consider football to be greater than basketball?

As I said, private schools can compete at a high level in other sports as basketball, cost and expenses aren't even comparable, no college basketball school has million dollar assistant coaches. And that too will come to an end down the road due to cost, the trend has already started

Personally, I think they attract for different reasons, what makes college football, or what made college football great, was Saturday competition in your league especially with traditional rivals. Today, leagues are often in flux, you have teams competing that makes zero geographic sense, some of that excitement is gone, do you think Ohio State fans get all excited about having to travel to Jersey to play Rutgers. And on top of that, a select number of schools have made the decision to go all in on football, meaning even their league is becoming irrelevant, do you think anyone in the ACC in the near future is going to challenge Clemson

Do you consider football to be greater than basketball?

Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean is football more popular than basketball? In the US yes. Internationally no. Which doesn't change the fact that Baseball is the greatest team sport ever invented. Baseball though isn't the greatest sport because of its popularity.

Again, most from Ohio. Granted there are only so many people on the planet with 4.2 speed. There are far more with size and strength so to be able to be competitive where speed is concerned you have to be able to recruit nationally but that's true for all college programs and always has been.

Keep in mind though that Ohio is traditionally one of the top 5 States in recruiting talent, though there has been a tad bit of drop off in the speed department in recent years but in addition to talent Ohio is just plain nuts about High School football and only California, Texas and Florida have the per capita spending on High School Football programs, so the talent that is in Ohio also tends to be better coached, which makes a hell of a difference at the College level.

You're point is definately a legitimate one....but Ohio is not a good example to make your point with. You could be a House Burgler in Ohio and as long as you kept your activities to Friday nights in the fall you'd probably never get caught. LOL

And the more money some schools allocate to football allows those schools to go out and recruit nationally, asking realistically, seeing you seem to be a Big Ten fan, how many schools in the Big Ten actually have the potential of ever reaching the final four playoff scenario?

Except that college football isn't static. Clemson was mediocre for decades until Dabo took over. Alabama had a number of down years prior to Saban. Florida had a dominating stretch now look at them. It was only a decade ago that USC was the best team in college football. Oregon was absolutely nothing and now they compete on the national stage. Texas had a run of reaching a couple of national title games then completely fell off. USC is down but we are not out.

And in the last 18 years OSU has finished the season outside the top 5 only twice and outside the top 10 only once. :)

Which is why they are the most hated program in college football.

And the more money some schools allocate to football allows those schools to go out and recruit nationally, asking realistically, seeing you seem to be a Big Ten fan, how many schools in the Big Ten actually have the potential of ever reaching the final four playoff scenario?

OSU, PSU, Michigan, MSU and Wisconsin. (note - OSU and MSU both have already been to the CFP and Wisconsin and PSU have come within a whisker of making it). Yea Michigan is in a down cycle but that won't last forever with the kind of money they are currently spending. Don't know what's wrong with Nebraska but normally, given their history, they should be in that group too but have never been able to put it together since joining the Big 10. Still....the potential is there...they are one the top historic football programs in the nation.

You must be been born after 1980. We had a 21 year period from 1971 to 1992 where Cincinnati QB's were some of the best in the league. Had either Ken Anderson or Boomer Esiason had won their Super Bowl appearances they would probably be in the hall of fame. Anderson should be anyways. He was essentially the very first West Coast Offense QB and set the standard for excellence and, to this day the only QB's I've seen that were as accurate passing as Anderson are Tom Brady, Johnny Unitas and Drew Brees.

But after Paul Brown died Cincinnati has indeed been the NFL team where careers go to die thanks to the ineptitude of his son Mike Brown.

I live in the present,I remember when Cinn. was good,but Burrow could be drafted by todays Bengals!Not decades agos Bengals.
Born in 49

Again the past, not the same structure with the college playoffs, you have a select number of teams competing for the top four spots, it isn't an accident that in the five years with four teams there has only been eleven different teams, four them having four repeat appearances, all about the willingness to spend

Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean is football more popular than basketball? In the US yes. Internationally no. Which doesn't change the fact that Baseball is the greatest team sport ever invented. Baseball though isn't the greatest sport because of its popularity.

Hey, I agree on you with baseball, I'd even go out on a limb and say baseball players are the better overall athletes, but I disagree on the college football/basketball comparison.

Again the past, not the same structure with the college playoffs, you have a select number of teams competing for the top four spots, it isn't an accident that in the five years with four teams there has only been eleven different teams, four them having four repeat appearances, all about the willingness to spend

Texas has a bigger athletic department than any other school. Why have they yet to make the playoffs? Do you think Florida State quit spending money? (hint: look at the millions in buy out they are paying their past two coaches) Dabo and Saban won't be around forever. No guarantee their successors continue what they've built. You're taking a small window and claiming nothing will ever change going forward. That isn't the case.

OSU, PSU, Michigan, MSU and Wisconsin. (note - OSU and MSU both have already been to the CFP and Wisconsin and PSU have come within a whisker of making it). Yea Michigan is in a down cycle but that won't last forever with the kind of money they are currently spending. Don't know what's wrong with Nebraska but normally, given their history, they should be in that group too but have never been able to put it together since joining the Big 10. Still....the potential is there...they are one the top historic football programs in the nation.

So you came up with five out of fourteen, and I wouldn't bet a lot on MSU nor PSU making it in the near future, and that is in the best league in the country, so where does that leave the other schools

Texas has a bigger athletic department than any other school. Why have they yet to make the playoffs? Do you think Florida State quit spending money? (hint: look at the millions in buy out they are paying their past two coaches) Dabo and Saban won't be around forever. No guarantee their successors continue what they've built. You're taking a small window and claiming nothing will ever change going forward. That isn't the case.

Athletic budget, not football expenditures, and there is always going to be one team out of the Big 12, and few schools in the league are competing for that one spot, again, comes down to that select half dozen schools who spend the bucks

Florida State it done, for years Florida State got there pick of gangsters to play at FSU, but now, with all the Southern schools, just the few in Florida alone, suddenly playing Division I football, FSU has competition for those recruits, South Florida was a good example, climbing till the NCAA got involved

And Alabama and Clemson might fade, but they will be quickly replaced by the school that decides to go big into spending on football, there is always going to be a select six or seven nationwide, and I hate to break it to you, it ain't going to be private school as USC

I live in the present,I remember when Cinn. was good,but Burrow could be drafted by todays Bengals!Not decades agos Bengals.
Born in 49

LOL I use a joke with my younger co-workers by saying "I can remember the Bengals back when they were good" and they universally say "Wow...you must be really old!" LOL

Yup. You right. All three teams that have won the CFP are amongst the top in spending.

Back