Christian ethics vs. Roman values

Your choice. Disagreed. It's a free country.

About 3/4s of Americans are Christians. About 2B people around the world are Christian with another 2B being Muslim.

Even if you hate Christianity with every part of your being like Jack, if you want to change something, it's important to understand it first. You don't want to understand it because hate isn't about understanding. Hate is about destruction.

IMO, it appears Cypress was raised Russian Orthodox, I don't see him proselytizing or even very religious where religious dogma conflicts with science/reality/fact.

Name = Cypress, So DU makes a leap to Russian Orthodox. How he does that, I'll never know. :laugh:

Hey Dutch, why not Greek Orthodox?

Name = Cypress, So DU makes a leap to Russian Orthodox. How he does that, I'll never know. :laugh:

Hey Dutch, why not Greek Orthodox?
LOL That's okay, Matt. I know you're not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Because he's Russian.

This is a Russian flag:

This is a Greek flag:
Flagbig.GIF

People in Russia had a fairly good sense of what was going on.

One motivation for even having the Gulag and the purges was to terrorize Soviet citizens into submission

Stalin was keen to hide from the rest of the world what was going on. Stalin kept a pretty good embargo on news getting out of the country. Seems to me that Soviet government intuitively knew they were violating a universal moral conscience.

World War 1 and 2 were so shocking to the universal moral conscience of the world that a plethora of landmark international treaties, human rights conventions, and war crimes tribunals were vigorously pursued in their aftermath.

I think mammals are genetically evolved for a certain level of altruism and cooperation. The more advanced moral metaphysics seems to spring forth From higher intelligence and reason. In a sense, that seems like a universal moral conscientiousness to me

Agreed on the mammals, but I'd like to see evidence of "universal moral conscientiousness". Is that Pantheism?

You know I lean toward Panentheism, but it's a belief with zero physical evidence to support it. IF there's anything there, then, on the intangible spiritual level, I can except the idea of a universal morality.

5J963Vc.png

Agreed on the mammals, but I'd like to see evidence of "universal moral conscientiousness". Is that Pantheism?

You know I lean toward Panentheism, but it's a belief with zero physical evidence to support it. IF there's anything there, then, on the intangible spiritual level, I can except the idea of a universal morality.

5J963Vc.png
Here is in principle what I am talking about:

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their Creator, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

Jefferson was invoking the principal that there humanity had a universal moral conscience that could be understood through the application of reason.

In the Enlightenment age they called it "natural rights", but is an extension of the principal of natural law the medieval Christian scholars were writing about.

Here is in principle what I am talking about:

Jefferson was invoking the principal that there humanity had a universal moral conscience that could be understood through the application of reason.

In the Enlightenment age they called it "natural rights", but is an extension of the principal of natural law the medieval Christian scholars were writing about.

I don't think it has to have anything to do with theism.

The Medieval Christian scholars thought it did.

Jefferson was invoked nature's God, which is probably more like Deism or pantheism.

I think Kant thought a universal moral conscience could be discovered through the use of reason.

I don't think it has to have anything to do with theism.

The Medieval Christian scholars thought it did.

Jefferson was invoked nature's God, which is probably more like Deism or pantheism.

I think Kant thought a universal moral conscience could be discovered through the use of reason.

Kant: Will your action as a universal. Nothing to do with moral conscience.

The only remaining question is who is more likely to be correct about the history of ethics in western civilization?

Obscure and anonymous message board poster "Jack"?

Or, the professional historians who contribute to Encyclopedia Britannica?

Jack is a Russian shatterbot

His whole purpose is to tear the left into tatters

He is evil and worthless

Jack is a Russian shatterbot

His whole purpose is to tear the left into tatters

He is evil and worthless

The only reason I posted the thread was Jack was yucking it up and laughing at my version of the history of western ethics, until I showed him that what I was writing was fully consistent with what the mainstream and highly reputable Encyclopedia Britannica was presenting.

I read Kant. You never did. Not interested in do this over and over.
The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy also says Kant believed in a kind of universal moral law, which is consistent with what I wrote about him.

Kant argued that the moral law is a truth of reason, and hence that all rational creatures are bound by the same moral law. Thus in answer to the question, “What should I do?” Kant replies that we should act rationally, in accordance with a universal moral law.

https://iep.utm.edu/kantview/

That's not what the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy indicates:

In Kant, for instance, “every human being, as a moral being, has a conscience within him originally” (Kant 1797 [1991]: 160), and conscience is one of the four “natural predispositions of the mind"

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/... instance, “,one's neighbors, and respect for

yeah. You never read Kant but are an expert.

This Kant scholar wrote something which is almost exactly what I wrote about Kant >>

"(Kant) wanted to show by using reason that morality is based on a single supreme universal principle, which is binding to all rational beings."

https://philarchive.org/rec/JEMACA-2

Back